Senator Ben Affleck?

Started by LongBlade, December 19, 2012, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on December 21, 2012, 08:50:46 PM
Please.  It lost SoM.  It lost in a very liberal leaning state.  A state that Obama carried by 21%.  So perhaps it's not as popular as you'd like to believe it is.  Let's just blame the Evangelicals and Catholics.  It's easier to process that way.

I think that the inability to see the broad picture here is why the Right is failing. It barely lost and the amount of money spent by the Mormon Church in the campaign for Proposition 8 was staggering.

I am not sure why you say there is "blame" placed on the Evangelicals and Catholics? Look at the makeup of the party - I am correct in my assessment. The Libertarian element of the right does not want social conservativism. The moderate "Reagan conservatives" differ in their support of social conservativism. Catholics are also split on the issue (the Church may have an official stance, but individual Catholics have a multitude of stances). As are a few of the Evangelical churches. Young people, by and large, do not care about gay marriage.

My prediction is that, if the right continues to espouse social conservativism as its core, then it will increasingly have trouble at the polls. Todd Akin and Indiana's Mourdouk lost (and they were predicted to win). Romney lost. Prop 8 might have won (four years ago) but several states legalized this election.

Anyway, this is drifting from the OT. Point is, Ben Affleck only has to appeal to his constituents, not to America.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

By your logic liberals are split on it too since it lost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on December 21, 2012, 09:39:45 PM
By your logic liberals are split on it too since it lost.

Not sure I follow. Obama won, there were some liberal gains of traditionally conservative seats, and several more states legalized gay marriage. California is not the only state in the Union.

Anyway, good talk.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Well actually conservatives own more governorships and state legislatures now, but it's all much to do about nothing for us plebs.

Longdan

Liberal is such a dirty, dirty word it should be by definition all things horrible.
At least in this country it IS.  You guys do not know from your liberals.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Toonces

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 20, 2012, 01:44:42 PM
and i always pictured Jarhead to be the spitting image of Jesse Ventura - the Predator image, not the politician image

Yup, +1.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Quote from: LongBlade on December 20, 2012, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 20, 2012, 11:37:30 AM
Meh. Affleck is politically active and has better or equal credentials to many of the jokers already in Congress. I fail to see the problem.

I'm with you. Other than the fact that I believe him terribly ill informed, he won't do any more damage than anyone else. And he's young enough that he may yet learn something.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but this is pretty much how I really feel. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on December 22, 2012, 01:30:15 AM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but this is pretty much how I really feel.

Not sure if I am either ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Myth Busted:

Quote"I love Massachusetts and our political process, but I am not running for office. Right now it's a privilege to spend my time working with Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI), supporting our veterans, drawing attention to the great many who go hungry in the U.S. everyday and using filmmaking to entertain and foster discussion about issues like our relationship to Iran."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/26/sorry-good-will-hunting-loving-liberals-but-ben-affleck-is-not-running-for-senate/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

No surprise.  I mean, if his career was in the toilet, maybe.  But it isn't, so a move into politics would be unexpected.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Longdan

He is making more than he could steal....
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Achilles

Senator Gigli.   Gaaaaghh!