[closed] Dominions 4 inaugural game (let's make this massive!)

Started by Yskonyn, July 27, 2013, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 08, 2013, 05:20:34 AM
I've heard a great idea on the Three Moves Ahead podcast; teamplay.
What do you guys say we try something new and go for team vs team? 3vs3vs3 for example? We could even try the Disciples gameplay this way! Let me know.

Two mere days till release!

Let's wait for the inevitable post-release update.  There was still a few things missing in the last beta version so I'd recommend giving it a bit more simmering time to make sure most of it was caught, fixed, and finished.

A team-based game would be great.  I'd even suggest two teams just to keep things as even as possible.  However, I'd like to take some more time getting familiar with all the changes & new stuff, not to mention there will inevitably be an update or two shortly after official release.  So I may skip the first multi-player game and wait for the second a bit further on - don't let me persuade you to postpone it if you don't want.

Yskonyn

Well the idea is to have a launchparty-ish game with warts and all. But to avoid patching hell and corrupt saves in the middle of a game it might be wise to hold off for a little while. On the other hand we have had updates for Dom3 in the middle of our games too, where there was never a problem with continuing.
As far as 'getting to know the game' goes; everyone has the same problem if we start after release.
This round is more aimed at having fun than playing hardball.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Yskonyn

I have no idea.
Playing PBEM manually is a chore so I really hope Llama gets Dom 4 support.

BTW It has been confirmed by Illwinter that patches will be savegame compatible.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Wingedflamez

OK so did the non beta version of Dom4 drop today? if so my Desura is a bag of crap.

elitesix

Looks like Dom4 is out!

I'm down for a game of dom4 (non-random nations though), but someone needs to host old fashioned (preferably someone with a dedicated hosting machine that is up 24/7).

Yskonyn

I have done that once, but I am not going to host manually again. That's a pain in the arse and I will probably take too long to keep the game going on at a decent pace.
If someone else wants to host, fine with me. Or we can wait until Llama supports Dom4.. which shouldn't take too long I'd imagine.

We have to talk about random factions. Some are for some against.

elitesix

dom3minions.com is apparently similar to llamaserver without all the bells and whistles.

Apparently, dom4minions.com is up and running but even has less bells and whistles and missing webpages :)

And yes apparently llamaserver will be supporting dom4 shortly is what I heard.

There's also the throne issue:http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/claiming-thrones

It's about how H3/Pretender capturing for thrones skews the ability of non-H3 nations to blitz the 3-4 of the last thrones in a few turns. I would therefore suggest that if we play with thrones, there should be significantly less thrones than nations (maybe half the number of nations in thrones) so that a blitz of the last renaming thrones would be capturing 1-2 thrones in a few turns, so that nations that only have a H3 prophet and their pretender aren't totally sandbagged. In general, blitzing is great because (1) blitz has been a valid warfare tactic for nearly all periods of warfare past bronze age (2) blitz adds spice and excitement to the otherwise boring and slow end-game slog. It would be sad to destroy non-H3 nations' ability to blitz because of poor throne claim design decisions.

All in all, the growing pains of a new game!!

Happerry

We could just set the throne points needed to win as higher then what the Thrones can give, which turns things back into the kill everyone else mode de facto because you can't win by thrones will still letting people play with thrones.

Yskonyn

Can you do that in the game setup, or do you need to mod this?
It does sound like an interesting solution.

Do we have an ETA on llamaserver yet?
EDIT; I just read that the backend is complete, but some issues are to be expected. It does NOT accept Dom 4 games yet, though.

Might be a good idea to put this into second gear now.
I'll keep on updating the first post as we go, so be sure to keep checking that one for a summary of things.

First agenda point; Which map do we play and please vote for or against random nations.

My vote; FOR

Wingedflamez

I am in favor of doing random nations, with 1 chance for reroll.

alastair

elitesix

Actually, I want to update: my suggested solution of a very low overall throne count doesn't really work because thrones are evenly distributed, so if you have 5/5 thrones required for victory, on practical terms the 5 thrones are all over the map and you basically have to own the entire map.

So if we want to mitigate the inability of non-H3 nations to blitz multiple thrones per round, we still keep the winning throne count low, but the overall throne count higher.

For example, if you have a 6/12 throne victory condition, practically speaking that means you have to control over half the randomly distributed thrones which will broadly be a little less than half the map. Thus, this 6/12 or even 5/12 would be my suggested setup.

Wingedflamez

Are we waiting on people? Or waiting on llama server to fully convert to Dom4?  Or is there something else we are waiting on?

elitesix

I don't know; I'm playing a game hosted on dom4minions (which seems hard to navigate, but gp hosts the server and has been willing to setup the game if you email him. Don't know if he does delays though).