DEC 2013 TS forum game archive

Started by GJK, November 26, 2013, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 26, 2013, 09:56:09 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2013, 08:48:55 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 26, 2013, 08:26:11 PM
OK - creating team forums tonight

edit:  they're there now.  y'all go check and make sure you can get into your board, but not the other

GJK - you should be able to get into both

Works for me, I can see our party forum and the general forum but not the capitalist dog's forum.

Same here- Freedom's light shines brightly on the West but all is darkness, cold, and despair over in commiepinkoland.

Pfui. Is conservation of power so as to not strain glorious workers, which is why lights are off here. Unlike in corporate slave land where workers make a pittance for the sweat of their brow and are made docile by McDonalds and pro sports activities. Bah!

Barthheart

Sounds like a good plan to Comrade Premier.

BanzaiCat

You wish to be Secretary of Army, Comrade? Or State?

Is good for hamming up of threads, yes, but all are equal of course.

I am going to go WAY overboard on this, just FYI. :)

Barthheart

I would strive to be Comrade General of the Armed Forces.

We will use our tanks to grind up weak, decadent Western troops.

Yeah, over the top is good for stuff like this. I see us "faking" power struggles over card plays etc. I plan to push for military "solutions" to most actions.

Staggerwing

^Sounds like the 'workers' paradise' could use some decaf  :D

Meanwhile:
I got a pm from Gary (GJK) saying he is accidentally locked out of these sub forums. He hopes to be back in after the mods fix it but asked me to pass this on:

Quote from: GJK on November 27, 2013, 06:19:44 AM
Hey Stagger-

Brant's tweaking of the forums last night left me with only access to the "religion, politics and flamewars" forum - doh!  I've sent him a private message and I'm sure that he'll have me fixed up at some point today.

In the meantime, could you let the group know about my situation and that I do have some ideas for presenting the news headlines and that I will be getting a screenshot of the initial board set up posted when I get home from work today.  I'll also shuffle and deal cards and present the hands to the teams so that you guys can deliberate on your initial headline play for turn 1.

I'll post some more once I'm back in to the forums.

Thanks!!!
Gary
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Ok teams - Brant has fixed my access abilities to the various forums including the public and private forums for our game.

Here's my suggestion for how play should proceed:

NEW TURNS
1. I'll update the DEFCON status and tidy up the game board and post a screenshot. 
2. I will then deal the hands and present those hands to each team in their PRIVATE FORUM.  Play will then proceed:

HEADLINE PHASE
1. During the Headline Phase where a card needs to be selected from your hand for play, noodle on it here in your private forum and once you have reached a decision, announce the card that you wish to play HERE IN YOUR PRIVATE FORUM. 
2. I will reveal your teams card as well as them other guys' card SIMULTANEOUSLY on the PUBLIC forum. 
3. Per the rules, the card played with the highest OP value will have its event played first.  In the event of a tie, the USA team plays first. 
4. After the cards are revealed, if it is your HEADLINE PHASE, hold your private meetings to discuss the strategy for playing the EVENT on that card and then present your option to the PUBLIC forum.  I will then update the game board and post the results to the PUBLIC forum.

ACTION ROUNDS
1. Same thing basically, except that the USSR goes first in the ACTION ROUNDS, so if it is your teams turn, decide upon your next card play and how it will be played (OPS or for the EVENT) and then go ahead and present it to the PUBLIC FORUM along with your action(s). 
2. I will update the board after each team plays their ACTION ROUND card.

DIE ROLLS
1. I'm going to research some online die rollers that will log the rolls and let everyone see what is rolled for fairness sake.  For simplicity sake, I could just roll it in the VASSAL module and then reveal what was rolled.  Either works for me and we can discuss the idea in the TWILIGHT STRUGGLE general discussion area (NOT THE PUBLIC FORUM).

2. If you're attempting a COUP or playing on the SPACE RACE track or attempting a REALIGNMENT; all items that require a die roll, post your requested action and I'll make the roll and then present that die roll result and will update the game board and present those results in the PUBLIC FORUM.

That's as far as I've thought it out so far (I think).  I'm open for suggestions! 

My idea is to make this "flavor rich", meaning heavy Soviet and USA history intertwined with the card play during the game.  I'll post random images related to the the card played (perhaps) and what ever other ideas that I/we come up with.

I am NEUTRAL.  I'm not going to make suggestions on game play, give tips or anything that will provide any type of edge to one team or the other.  I've posted links to the rulebook and have uploaded some play-aids and a link has been provided to http://twilightstrategy.com/new-to-twilight-struggle/ which has good tips and hints on play/play strategy. 

Note that the DISCARD PILE is open for inspection at any time per the rules.  If you need to inspect the DISCARD PILE, post a note in your PRIVATE FORUM and I will figure out a way to give a listing of cards that are in the DISCARD PILE.  I'm sure that there is a card manifest on BGG and I will most likely use that. 

Questions or suggestions - just let me know.  Post a note in the PUBLIC, PRIVATE forum.  I think for fairness sake, I should not receive nor answer any PM's related to the game as those Q&A's should be viewable by all.

Good luck team!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Ok teams - Brant has fixed my access abilities to the various forums including the public and private forums for our game.

NEW TURNS
1. I'll update the DEFCON status and tidy up the game board and post a screenshot. 
2. I will then deal the hands and present those hands to each team in their PRIVATE FORUM.  Play will then proceed:

HEADLINE PHASE
1. During the Headline Phase where a card needs to be selected from your hand for play, noodle on it here in your private forum and once you have reached a decision, announce the card that you wish to play HERE IN YOUR PRIVATE FORUM. 
2. I will reveal your teams card as well as them other guys' card SIMULTANEOUSLY on the PUBLIC forum. 
3. Per the rules, the card played with the highest OP value will have its event played first.  In the event of a tie, the USA team plays first. 
4. After the cards are revealed, if it is your HEADLINE PHASE, hold your private meetings to discuss the strategy for playing the EVENT on that card and then present your option to the PUBLIC forum.  I will then update the game board and post the results to the PUBLIC forum.

ACTION ROUNDS
1. Same thing basically, except that the USSR goes first in the ACTION ROUNDS, so if it is your teams turn, decide upon your next card play and how it will be played (OPS or for the EVENT) and then go ahead and present it to the PUBLIC FORUM along with your action(s). 

DIE ROLLS
1. I'm going to research some online die rollers that will log the rolls and let everyone see what is rolled for fairness sake.  For simplicity sake, I could just roll it in the VASSAL module and then reveal what was rolled.  Either works for me and we can discuss the idea in the TWILIGHT STRUGGLE general discussion area (NOT THE PUBLIC FORUM).

2. If you're attempting a COUP or playing on the SPACE RACE track or attempting a REALIGNMENT; all items that require a die roll, post your requested action and I'll make the roll and then present that die roll result and will update the game board and present those results in the PUBLIC FORUM.

That's as far as I've thought it out so far (I think).  I'm open for suggestions! 

My idea is to make this "flavor rich", meaning heavy Soviet and USA history intertwined with the card play during the game.  I'll post random images related to the the card played (perhaps) and what ever other ideas that I/we come up with.

I am NEUTRAL.  I'm not going to make suggestions on game play, give tips or anything that will provide any type of edge to one team or the other.  I've posted links to the rulebook and have uploaded some play-aids and a link has been provided to http://twilightstrategy.com/new-to-twilight-struggle/ which has good tips and hints on play/play strategy. 

Note that the DISCARD PILE is open for inspection at any time per the rules.  If you need to inspect the DISCARD PILE, post a note in your PRIVATE FORUM and I will figure out a way to give a listing of cards that are in the DISCARD PILE.  I'm sure that there is a card manifest on BGG and I will most likely use that. 

Questions or suggestions - just let me know.  Post a note in the PUBLIC, PRIVATE forum.  I think for fairness sake, I should not receive nor answer any PM's related to the game as those Q&A's should be viewable by all.

Good luck team!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

This note was posted to both teams in there PRIVATE forum area.  I'll post them here for those outside of the game that are following along:

NEW TURNS

HEADLINE PHASE

ACTION ROUNDS

DIE ROLLS

Good luck team!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Gary, for die rolls I'd be happy with you just rolling a die or using whatever method you like and is easiest.. Since yer neutral I think we can trust you.
Thanks again for doing all this. Should be fun.

BanzaiCat

+1. If you just want to roll a die/dice yourself, GJK, I have no problem with that. Seems it might be more work to roll in some program, take a screenshot, then post it, rather than just rolling it yourself and posting what the results are.

I think we're going to post our turn info (in our thread, of course) by creating a new topic for each turn. That way, you can easily find each one, and we can find our own debates/discussions as well. Might be an easy way, too, to keep track of everything should it become a front-page AAR, but it seems you guys have done this kind of thing before. In any case, unless someone we haven't heard from yet has a better idea, that's what we're going to do.

And to keep you from having to check and re-check each forum thread to see if we've posted turns, you want us to message you to let you know "OK, ready, Turn 3 thread move" or something like that?

GJK

Thanks guys.  For the die rolls, I will use the VASSAL module and first write a message saying what the roll is for and then make that roll and I'll then post a small screenshot of that result.  Easy enough.

Banzai_cat: I was thinking that making sub-forums in your private area for each turn (10 turns - though it could be less) would be a good idea so we're on the same page there.

When I get home later, I'll post the initial board set up and then generate the hands.  By all means, your teams take as long as you need - wait until everyone is up to speed on the rules so that everyone can participate with (educated) decisions.

By the way - the version that I suggest that we play is the DELUXE TS version WITH Optional Cards (GMT added 3 or 5 new cards to balance things out a bit) without using the Chinese Civil War Variant.

And my apologies but the link to the rules that I posted was for the 2nd edition of the game (the version that I have a physical copy of).  The link for the Deluxe Rules are here:  http://www.gmtgames.com/nnts/TSRules-2009.pdf

BUT NO WORRIES! The rules are very nearly identical.  The Deluxe Version adds some clarification and the optional Chinese Civil War variant which we won't be using anyways.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

As an FYI to all involved, I'm on today as I am working from home, but once the workday ends the wife insists that all technology devices be shut off for two days. I have family coming in anyway so this would be a good way to actually pay attention to them (lol). I probably won't be back on (after this afternoon) until Saturday...but I'll try to peek in on my phone as often as I can.

GJK

That's cool - should give everyone some time to get up to speed on the rules.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

I was also locked out (of everything but Religion and Politics) but I'm back in now.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

sorry guys - I f'ed it up.  I'm going to talk w/ LB today about making sure everyone's seeing what they're supposed to be seeing, and that we didn't accidentally take away Lingerie Channel access to anyone who wanted it...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers