Mercury in Canadian Oil Sands

Started by airboy, December 31, 2013, 12:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This is the first really seriously negative thing that I have read about the Canadian Oil Sands. I'm not that worried about C02 - but mercury is really bad news.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/12/30-3

But the study has not been released.  It is also unclear how widespread the toxin is.  Many mining operations have really nasty side effects.  Coal mines, copper mines, etc..... A lot of what makes a modern society possible has some real consequences.

Windigo

Quote from: airboy on December 31, 2013, 12:53:28 AM
This is the first really seriously negative thing that I have read about the Canadian Oil Sands. I'm not that worried about C02 - but mercury is really bad news.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/12/30-3

But the study has not been released.  It is also unclear how widespread the toxin is.  Many mining operations have really nasty side effects.  Coal mines, copper mines, etc..... A lot of what makes a modern society possible has some real consequences.

weird... methyl mercury is usually created from biological activity on elemental mercury, not an actual emitted substance

"Here we have a direct source of methyl mercury being emitted in this region and deposited to the landscapes and water bodies," Kirk said of samples the team took from snow and spring snow-melt. "So come snow-melt that methyl mercury is now going to enter lakes and rivers where potentially it could be taken up directly by organisms and then bioaccumulated and biomagnified though food webs." - Jane Kirk

in fact the pathway from elemental mercury to methyl mercury is well understood (Togwell Jackson, et al.), especially in newly formed reservoirs.

"Methylmercury is formed from inorganic mercury by the action of anaerobic organisms that live in aquatic systems including lakes, rivers, wetlands, sediments, soils and the open ocean.[6] This methylation process converts inorganic mercury to methylmercury in the natural environment."

But it can be human sourced
"Acute methylmercury poisoning occurred at Grassy Narrows in Ontario, Canada (see Ontario Minamata disease) as a result of mercury released from the mercury-cell Chloralkali process, which uses liquid mercury as an electrode in a process that entails electrolytic decomposition of brine, followed by mercury methylation in the aquatic environment."

this is typically associated with pulp and paper industry... there are a few located on the Athabasca River... interesting indeed

don't sell your stocks yet AB
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

DoctorQuest

I just want to know the story behind the Santa picture.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 03, 2014, 03:02:37 PM

I see what you did there...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 03, 2014, 10:13:36 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 03, 2014, 03:02:37 PM

I see what you did there...

Step away from the thread and no one will get hurt.

You post a pic like that an don't expect a hijacking at some point? Come on.......................................
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

I didn't say I disapproved, did I?  Just noting the embedded pun... :D

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

That's santa prepping toy for those good at being naughty
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.