Battlefield 1 .... meh

Started by bboyer66, November 15, 2016, 08:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

So I bought BF1 and have put some time into it.  Hoping that it would catch some of the magic of BF2 or BF 2142, and unfortunately it did not do it for me.
Don't get me wrong, BF1 is a pretty good game. It just doesn't seem to match the vastness and scope of BF2. The maps while larger then Call of Duty, are still nothing compared to the size of BF2s maps.  For example, from one spot on most of the BF1 maps, you can see the entire map area. Even the smaller maps in BF2 such as  Wake Island, I could not see the entirety of the map from say the top of the carrier.

Weapon upgrades are pretty stale, and do not seem to make the weapons that much better till you get to the level 15 weapons, which are just plain old OP derp guns.

The game really just feels like an optimized re skinning of BF3 for the most part. It's good, but the entire time I was playing, it just felt like I had done it all before.

So I cant see me giving much play to BF1 going forward. If I am going to play a shooter, I will stick with Planetside 2. PS2 is free, has serious tactical clans that you can join, and the map and scale is just enormous with 1000s of players fighting an epic war over 3 planets that each have their own distinct huge maps.

Some historical things I learned about WWI from BF1 ;) :

Half of the German/French/British/American/Italian/Austrian Hungarian Army was made of men with African ancestry.

The Martini Henry (Yes the British rifle used during the Zulu Wars) was the best sniper rifle of the war.

Zeppelins, men on horseback with swords, and Armored Trains were the kings of the battlefield

Yskonyn

I think you might mistake BF2 for having bigger maps because of the limitations on draw distance at that time.
The Conquest maps in BF1 are vastly bigger than BF2's maps without a doubt. The fact that you can look across the whole map just shows the progress hardware has made over the years. :)

Too bad BF1 didn't float your boat though.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Father Ted

Quote from: bboyer66 on November 15, 2016, 08:52:30 AM
If I am going to play a shooter, I will stick with Planetside 2. PS2 is free, has serious tactical clans that you can join, and the map and scale is just enormous with 1000s of players fighting an epic war over 3 planets that each have their own distinct huge maps.

Haven't played PS2 in a while - I agree it's a great MP experience - are there still full servers?  I'd read that it was downsizing because the player base was contracting

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bboyer66

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 15, 2016, 11:15:18 AM
I think you might mistake BF2 for having bigger maps because of the limitations on draw distance at that time.
The Conquest maps in BF1 are vastly bigger than BF2's maps without a doubt. The fact that you can look across the whole map just shows the progress hardware has made over the years. :)

Too bad BF1 didn't float your boat though.

Im looking for something that compares the map sizes. In some of the BF2 maps, it could take you over a minuter to traverse the entire thing in a helicopter and like 30 seconds in a jet. The biplanes in BF1 you can traverse the maps in like 30 seconds.

BF2 map

BF1 map

No way that BF1 map is as big. An airfield alone in BF2 would be about the size of  the town in the BF1map.  The city map in BF1 is even smaller.

demjansk1942

Grimnirsson

QuoteThe maps while larger then Call of Duty

A game of chess has a bigger map than CoD... ;)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

jomni

40% off in Singapore.  I believe it is 30% elsewhere for Black Friday.
https://www.origin.com/sgp/en-us/store

Yskonyn

At 40% off I would get it, if only for the SP campaign. It's a truely awesome cinematic experience!  O0
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

MikeGER

Quote from: jomni on November 23, 2016, 07:04:22 AM
What the? Pigeon flying?

its a MP game mode:
on smaller parts taken of the bigger maps a pigeon (messanger) spawns and can be captured. the guy who got the pigeon goes into hiding and 'prepares a message for the HQ' (a timer is ticking down) when the 'message is coded' and the pigeon is ready prepared he has to go into the open space to release the bird. The bird fly away, delivers the ciphered message and a devastating artillery strike on the opposing team is the result. if the guy with the pigeon gets killed the other team can take over the pigeon (the timer didn't reset to zero!) a pigeon in flight can be shot down at the very last moment when the bird climbs into the sky, so there will be no strike then... a new pigion spans after a while.
in general the team tactics are: frist all rush to the pigeon position shown on the map. the one member who lucky grabs it first goes into hiding somewhere (inactivity) and all his team members try to protect him at all cost until 'message is coded', protect him on his way to open space, and then finally the pigeon has to be protected (a fews seconds only) until it made it to safety higher up in the sky and is gone...   

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

jomni

Actually I was playing the SP campaign and there was thing lengthy pigeon flying sequence.

Yskonyn

It was a rather poethic scene, I found.