Main Menu

Wanted: PitF Review

Started by Windigo, December 01, 2023, 03:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Another thread needing refreshed.

Apparently a very well qualified individual was identified to generate a review, but their time has been redirected elsewhere.

Meanwhile, here is some AI generated bullets describing the gameplay. Take it for what it is worth (AI generated, some of the footnotes refer to the NHL team - the Florida Panthers  :ROFL:  :ROFL: )

"The gameplay of Panthers in the Fog is described as follows:

Gameplay Experience:
The game is a real-time tactical game1, which some players believe adds to the realism as you can't "pause" until you figure out what to do1.
Unit Selection: The new format for choosing units was appreciated, but it was also noted that it could use further polishing2.

Historical Context:
The game details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy2. This historical context could add to the game's realism.

Single Battles, Linked Operations or the Grand Campaign:
You can play single battles, linked operations or the Grand campaign simulating all six crucial days of the Operation Lüttich. With 35 linked battlefields and historically accurate formations and units, strategic choices are as important as tactical prowess3.

Criticism:
Some players have criticized the game for its AI behavior. For example, soldiers try to attack tanks with their fists if they come within 30 meters, they open fire while ambushing on enemy teams that are a couple of screens away, every German infantry team has an MG424. Furthermore, it is impossible to form a nonporous 'frontline' without knowing who controls map connection points at the end of a turn5.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

al_infierno

I thought the mysterious long-awaited review was for the ASL-type game Tigers on the Hunt.  You're telling me it's been a Close Combat game this whole time!?  :TimeOut:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Windigo on December 01, 2023, 03:19:35 PMCriticism:
Some players have criticized the game for its AI behavior. For example, soldiers try to attack tanks with their fists if they come within 30 meters, ...

The Germans had very advanced fist technology and as everyone knows, Shermans just sucked. So 30m is about right... :doh:
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Isn't it always fun to read a thread and think "Hm, I really never looked much into that game, maybe I should Wishlist it" only to realize it's already in your library for more than a year with 0 hours played and never launched.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^'You and me, we're the same.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on December 01, 2023, 05:46:57 PM^'You and me, we're the same.'

Holy crap I've got Gateway to Caen too.

WTF.  Guess I know what my weekend is looking like.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback