Jupiter Hell - Doom-style roguelike with tactical firearm combat

Started by al_infierno, August 20, 2021, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Looks like there's never been an official thread on this game, but it deserves one now that it's fully released out of Early Access.  Jupiter Hell isn't a traditional grogheads style game, but it's also unlike any other Roguelike.  Instead of complex spell trees and boring bump-combat, this game is basically a tactical WEGO wargame where you control 1 unit in tense firefights against demons and firearm-wielding zombies.  The mechanics emphasize use of cover, effective weapon ranges, and line of sight obstacles and smoke over any traditional Roguelike gimmicks like magic items and escape spells.  You still have some basic RPG staples, like XP and different damage types and a level system, but the Perk system gives you a feeling of actual tangible benefits instead of just +2% to armor penetration or whatever.

I wrote a First Impression for the front page a while back, and my praise all holds true.  The game is quite polished and even has some cool animated cutscenes now.  The best advice I can give is to take it slowly and resist the urge to just blast through the levels at light speed.  The majority of player deaths are caused by moving too quickly without situational awareness of how many enemies you're fighting, how badly you're getting hurt, and how far you are from the nearest cover or doorway out of a sticky situation.

http://grogheads.com/review/first-impressions/20686
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao