In the days of my youth, I was told what it was to be a FRIDAY!!!!!!

Started by MetalDog, February 07, 2014, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Recently bought all the expansions for CKII to see if it would rekindle my interest.  It has.  Will be continuing my campaign as Duke of Apulia at the bottom of the Italian boot.

Also OOTP14 -- enjoying my first "Stats Only" league.  Went whole hog with HS and College feeders, MLB and all the international leagues in a big ol' baseball universe.  Man I love this game.

Father Ted

Well, for me, the song remains the same: PS2, RoF, new and old IL2 (BoS, '46), maybe some CMBN - that's same battle as last week - maybe it's becoming the Battle of Evermore (I'll stop now)

Rayfer

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on February 07, 2014, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 07, 2014, 08:10:39 AM
American Civil War 2 by Matrix. Started a new campaign after the last update. Playing as the North, it's now late December, 1861. Game starts in April of that year.  The war is hot along the Indiana and Illinois borders with Kentucky (who joined the South) and all across Missouri. Had the obligatory loss at first Manassas but eked out a stalemate in the second. Can't wait for 1862 so I can start building corps for all those divisions.

Sounds like fun, Rayfer! Having Kentucky join the South should make things much more interesting. I really gotta get back into my 1861 campaign. But I've been so hooked on WOFF that I might have trouble making time for AACW2.

Kentucky has become the springboard (supply source) for the South to launch cavalry raids into Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. Putting out those fires has made it tough to mount any sort of serious effort to invade the South. 1862 will be an interesting year. The AI is good in this game.  At least in my opinion it is.

mikeck

Quote from: Kushan on February 07, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
Most of my free time will be spent with Breaking the Chains and/or Steel Wolves this weekend. Read the rules for BtC earlier this week, they don't sound overly complicated. Have a couple of minor complaints, and I haven't even played the game yet. Hoping it will eventually provide some inspiration for some Command scenarios. I also want to give Steel Wolves another shot, after having the vassal module mentioned as a way of keeping track of all the chits during combat.

Any PC gaming I do will probably be a mix of EUIV, Distant Worlds, and Command. Most of my PC time will be spent working on the 3 Command scenarios and the EUIV - Rome mod that I have been outlining/research the last few weeks. Two of the Command scenarios are based off of Red Storm Rising, and the third is a limited nuclear exchange between the US and Russia, based on the novel Arc Light.

Do you have a link for the "arc light" scenario?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 07, 2014, 10:52:17 AM
^I started some CM:BN to try and get into it - and for the love of god...I get soooooooo bored setting up all my pixel troops that by the time I've done that, I am bored. Worse, if I do carry on, I end up getting slaughtered.

Maybe that's why I can't get into it...the time taken to move all my units only to have them slaughtered!

Things seem a little easier in Sicily (asn an American anyway): scout, spot some enemies, fire the artillery, fire smoke, bing up the MGs, open up with MGs, bring up the infantry, assault.

Sometimes the time runs out, but I've won some small battles with only 3 killed.

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on February 07, 2014, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: Kushan on February 07, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
Any PC gaming I do will probably be a mix of EUIV, Distant Worlds, and Command. Most of my PC time will be spent working on the 3 Command scenarios and the EUIV - Rome mod that I have been outlining/research the last few weeks. Two of the Command scenarios are based off of Red Storm Rising, and the third is a limited nuclear exchange between the US and Russia, based on the novel Arc Light.

Do you have a link for the "arc light" scenario?

I will after I create it. Not sure what order I'm going to make them in yet. The arc light one can be done mostly with existing imports, but I was planning on doing the two RSR based scenarios first.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

bob48

Quote from: Father Ted on February 07, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
Well, for me, the song remains the same: PS2, RoF, new and old IL2 (BoS, '46), maybe some CMBN - that's same battle as last week - maybe it's becoming the Battle of Evermore (I'll stop now)

LOL - I do love me some Zep  :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mikeck

Maybe a scenario based on the "bastion" wherr a CArrier group and American subs have a certain amount of time to locate Russian boomers before those boomers launch their SLBMs that American cities . If a few do get launched you have some Ticonderoga's nearby with SM-3s to perhaps try to intercept. I don't know something like that.

Definitely looking forward to launching some ICBMs and taking out some airfields and such
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Kushan

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 07, 2014, 11:39:07 AM
Recently bought all the expansions for CKII to see if it would rekindle my interest.  It has.  Will be continuing my campaign as Duke of Apulia at the bottom of the Italian boot.

The Norse starts are really fun as well if you have the Old Gods. My favorite is the Chief of Dublin. You start with the great heathen army and are tasked with getting revenge on one of the Saxon lords who killed your father, Rragnar Lothbrok. The great heathen army doesn't generate reinforcements, but it served as the core of my army during my conquest of British Isles. Also used it for raiding the French, Spanish, and Italian coast lines, since it was strong enough to take on most of the armies the smaller feudal lords could muster.

Quote from: mikeck on February 07, 2014, 01:27:23 PM
Maybe a scenario based on the "bastion" wherr a CArrier group and American subs have a certain amount of time to locate Russian boomers before those boomers launch their SLBMs that American cities . If a few do get launched you have some Ticonderoga's nearby with SM-3s to perhaps try to intercept. I don't know something like that.

That's a good idea. I'll add it to the list. That might not be a bad idea for a 2015+ scenario, after the SM-6 missiles come into service.

The first Arc Light scenario was going to be the initial exchange of nukes. I want to try and use the event editor to add events that will simulate things like US political indecisiveness, etc that might delay the US response. Not sure if its possible to do that at the moment. My plan is for the Russian's to get the first strike and then have to defend against the US counter attack. So no nukes after the first launch. The US has to use its missiles, and get its bombers airborne before the Russian strike, and then have to carry on a global counter force strike using limited resources and alternate basing facilities for its bombers.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Martok

Hopefully some more Rome II this weekend, and I'll for sure be continuing my Klingon campaign in Birth of the Federation

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Quote from: Kushan on February 07, 2014, 03:23:21 PM

The Norse starts are really fun as well if you have the Old Gods. My favorite is the Chief of Dublin. You start with the great heathen army and are tasked with getting revenge on one of the Saxon lords who killed your father, Rragnar Lothbrok. The great heathen army doesn't generate reinforcements, but it served as the core of my army during my conquest of British Isles. Also used it for raiding the French, Spanish, and Italian coast lines, since it was strong enough to take on most of the armies the smaller feudal lords could muster.

That's a good idea. I'll add it to the list. That might not be a bad idea for a 2015+ scenario, after the SM-6 missiles come into service.

The first Arc Light scenario was going to be the initial exchange of nukes. I want to try and use the event editor to add events that will simulate things like US political indecisiveness, etc that might delay the US response. Not sure if its possible to do that at the moment. My plan is for the Russian's to get the first strike and then have to defend against the US counter attack. So no nukes after the first launch. The US has to use its missiles, and get its bombers airborne before the Russian strike, and then have to carry on a global counter force strike using limited resources and alternate basing facilities for its bombers.

I had a mind to try some arc light but I've yet to read the book!

Instead I'm inspired to create a fictional clash and create a dynamic campaign using arma 3 and cmano to play out the game - using the results of battle 1 to influence 2 and so on

Anguille

As i just finished Darkstar one, i'll be focusing on my old desktop from 1995. This means that i'll play the following games in the next weeks: Fields of glory, Imperium Galactica and War of the Worlds.

TheCommandTent

Hopefully some Rome II this weekend and perhaps some ARMA III
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 03:33:24 PM
Quote from: Kushan on February 07, 2014, 03:23:21 PM

I had a mind to try some arc light but I've yet to read the book!

Instead I'm inspired to create a fictional clash and create a dynamic campaign using arma 3 and cmano to play out the game - using the results of battle 1 to influence 2 and so on

"Arc light" is a great book. Kushan, this sounds like an awesome scenario. I really want to simulate a battle where I get to exchange intercontinental ballistic missiles with the Soviet Union.... go back-and-forth and then try to fight a conventional war with what's left over. Would love to see airbases and naval bases. I can't wait for the scenario and I really hope you figure out a way to get it done

Arctic Blast

Board gaming tomorrow. I'll be taking Conquest of Planet Earth, Zombicide and probably one or two others over to a friend's place.

I might jump back into Tomb Raider, which I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of. And perhaps something else.