Old BBC series

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, June 22, 2012, 11:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Here are a couple old series from the 80s that are very interesting from the perspective of today. Mainly because they seem to find nuggets of truth that do not become dated.

The Day the Universe Changed - Burke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZDV0JZ1d8&feature=BFa&list=UUiC3Jb9H1sjd__5cg7yrLzA

Pandora's Box - Curtis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZDV0JZ1d8&feature=BFa&list=UUiC3Jb9H1sjd__5cg7yrLzA

From a war gamer perspective you may want to look at the first Burke video then jump to the Pandora's Box series. A lot of the other Burke videos tie together historical advances, mostly in the middle ages. Its historically interesting for perspective. Not so much for war gaming.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

besilarius

If you like The Day the Universe Changed, you might want to look at his earlier series, Connections.
I feel that his points in that series were a bit better, because they were so much fresher.
After Connections, he did The Universe Changed, but he could not repeat the stories from Connections, so my feeling overall is that Connections was better.
Not that either are bad at all.  Just the earlier was better.
Am not familiar with Pandora's Box, so am looking forward to some interesting stuff.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Connections was good. I saw all Burke's videos when they originally aired. When I got the original Civ I wondered if his tech tree was inspired by connections. Series 2, 3 seemed a bit more strained. The real point was made in the first series. The rest seemed like a victory lap.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598