Main Menu

The Shining

Started by Gusington, January 08, 2013, 08:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I always forget about It.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2013, 08:30:39 AM
I always forget about It.

Gus, I for one would recommend giving The Dark Tower a try, although it is 7 books to get through. Its not at all like any of his horror stories, but is a strange mix of SciFi / fantasy horror that hard to classify. Even my missus enjoyed it, and its not really the sort of stuff that she would usually read.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Is there an actual dark tower somewhere in the series?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2013, 08:32:20 PM
Is there an actual dark tower somewhere in the series?

Yes.

Staggerwing

Gus, the first Dark Tower book is called 'The Gunslinger' if that helps prod your interest..
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Listened to "Wind through the Keyhole" (Dark Tower extra series book) on CD while driving back from the Keys this week, good stuff.
The last disc had Stephen King reading the first chapter from Dr. Sleep (sequal to Shining). Can't wait for it. Ghosts from the Overlook have followed Danny and his Mom to Florida.... and Danny fights back....  8)

Gusington

When does Dr. Sleep come out?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on January 14, 2013, 03:52:40 PM
I've been wanting to read Salems Lot for a long time.

Pound for pound, I regard it as his best book (up through the point I stopped reading him, sometime after The Tommyknockers. I don't recall when exactly, but before the Delores book.) (Further caveat: I've never read any of his Dark Tower series, aside from the first one which I simply couldn't get into.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2013, 08:31:37 AM
When does Dr. Sleep come out?

Usually at night, but... {dodging vegetables!}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Jason is right insofar as book 1 does take a little work to get into, but once you get through the earlier stuff it does start to grab you. The series as a whole is worth the effort.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Bob,

I've heard that often enough from discerning fantasy readers whose opinion I respect, that the whole series is certainly on my bucket list.

But my initial difficulties in getting into the first book keep me from moving it higher (so far). ;)

(Not that I have much room to talk about writing epic fantasies with difficult-to-get-into opening chapters... )

Gusington

Finished it today...the story is better IMHO than the story from the movie...deeper. But I still love the movie :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd