Havana Syndrome Investigation

Started by Uberhaus, April 01, 2024, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

I'm surprised no one has brought this up.  https://www.understandingwar.org/
QuoteRussian Offensive Campaign Assessment, April 1, 2024
Apr 1, 2024 - ISW Press

A joint investigation by 60 Minutes, the Insider, and Der Spiegel strongly suggests that the Kremlin has waged a sustained kinetic campaign directly targeting US government personnel both in the United States and internationally for a decade, with the likely objective of physically incapacitating US government personnel. The investigation, which the outlets published on March 31, indicates that the infamous Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation (GRU) Unit 29155 (the same unit whose operatives attempted to assassinate Sergei Skripal with the Novichok nerve agent in the United Kingdom in 2018) may be using nonlethal directed energy or acoustic weapons to target a large number of US government personnel, each of whom has reported experiencing an "anomalous health incident" (also called "Havana Syndrome") of varying severity between 2014 and as recently as 2023.

From https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68706317 
QuoteAn American military investigator examining instances of the syndrome told 60 Minutes that the common link between victims of the syndrome was a "Russia nexus".

Greg Edgreen explained: "There was some angle where they had worked against Russia, focused on Russia, and done extremely well."

He also said the official US bar of proof to show Russian involvement had been set too high, as his country did not want to "face some very hard truths".

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Uberhaus on April 01, 2024, 07:49:06 PMI'm surprised no one has brought this up. 

It's a cover up. We're afraid of escalating tensions.

Seriously though, isn't this what everyone already suspected and pretty much had concluded?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Uberhaus

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2024, 08:35:26 PM
Quote from: Uberhaus on April 01, 2024, 07:49:06 PMI'm surprised no one has brought this up. 

It's a cover up. We're afraid of escalating tensions.

Seriously though, isn't this what everyone already suspected and pretty much had concluded?

It's good that the journalists acted in the interests of the victims by continuing to investigate.  Especially regarding the CIA's report of Jan 2022 https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60068483
QuoteHowever, one official told the BBC that while the investigation had made 'significant progress,' it had not found evidence of a worldwide campaign by a foreign state.

Instead, it had found that most of what are formally known as anomalous health incidents could be explained by medical conditions like undiagnosed illness or environmental factors.

The official added it was "unlikely that a foreign actor, including Russia, is conducting a sustained, worldwide campaign, harming US personnel with a weapon or mechanism".

and the US gov't's report of March 2023 https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64814097 
QuoteOn Wednesday, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) released an unclassified assessment reflecting the view of seven government agencies which reviewed more than 1,500 "anomalous health incidents" across over 90 countries.

The victims have included intelligence officers, military and State Department staff and high-level aides to government figures such as Vice President Kamala Harris.

Of the seven participating agencies, five agreed that "available intelligence consistently points against the involvement of US adversaries in causing the reported incidents" and that it is "very unlikely".

Levels of confidence between participating agencies, however, varied. The report noted that two agencies have "moderate-to-high" confidence in the assessment, while three have "moderate" confidence.

Unit 29155 has been caught in the act several times but while operating in non-friendly countries.  Austria might be a weak link for them.  https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/austria-investigating-reported-havana-syndrome-cases-among-us-envoys-2021-07-17/

I admit to being curious if there was a down turn in cases during the pandemic which could indicate human activity.  I can't find any empirical evidence but diplomats, CIs and spies might just have kept going.

Jarhead0331

^My point about the Grogheads coverup was intended to poke fun at precisely the official statements made by US intelligence agencies regarding the outcome of their investigations. In my view, most of these alphabet bureaus and agencies have absolutely no credibility anymore. They have all been co-opted at the leadership level to support political agendas.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Uberhaus

Grogheads cover up?  That went completely over my head.  As to political leadership, there will be a breaking point for tolerance of hostile action. Or there won't be and enemies will continue to act with impunity until they do significant damage to the West.

I know I'm not the only one noticing our current times resemblance to the 1930s.  I can't help but remember my grandfather telling me about building a radio with his father and hearing the speeches coming from Germany and knowing what was coming.

I digress, clearly you believe the findings are completely political and nothing to do with my amateur comprehension of burden of proof.