Campaign Series: Vietnam * Battle of Landing Zone Albany as NVA * 11/17/1965

Started by Crossroads, January 09, 2022, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Crossroads: "Ain't nobody in this forest but us squirrels."

Me, reading the DAR: "SQUEEEE...!  :D  uh, eek. Squeek. I did not just sqee, this is a joke about the squirrels. Conveniently!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

^^ Thanks guys! No doubt you'll enjoy this even more as the 7th Cavalry is about to change the pages of history here. Wounded Knee ridge looks terrifying for us natives here. See:

LZ Albany - NVA Turn 4 of 12

QuoteMeanwhile, double timing to have everyone closer to action. An all-out assault maybe in two turns?

Time's run out, unfortunately. Here's how everything looks like after replay of US phase for Turn #4: The cavalry has arrived! Just one platoon, but where there's proverbial smoke, there's fire?

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 16, 2022, 04:32:46 AM

Time's run out, unfortunately.

Time to rely on the Wisdom of the Old, then. When in doubt assault! I am all over the place still, though.

Do they have Op fire left, or did they just arrive? Time to find out. First, let us try to sneak a Recoilless Rifle unit next to them. It works, no one saw them going next to them. Firing at the revealed US platoon, with all the Fog of War options toggled ON, I do not know what effect if any I had, but can certainly observe their returning Op Fire: one step loss for my RR section.

Not only that, there's incoming light arm fire from all over the ridge line. I marked the postions with red arrows to remember them going forward. Time to select the assaulting units, which is only two rifle platoons and their leader. Frontal assault, that always works out well though, doesn't it!

Before clicking at the Resovel Assault icon I thought to move my MMG unit next to them as well for some supressing fire. Did that, they fired back, a retreat but no losses (yellow arrow).

Frontal assault then: Tienlen! with apologis for missing out on all accents while typing that out!

No visible result. No friendly losses either, which marks this as perhaps not such an assault with impossible odds after all. Let us try to maneuver into better positions for next turn!

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

QuoteLet us try to maneuver into better positions for next turn!

Mm, not good  :hide:

My right flank is quite weak, while my left flank is still too far away from action. Marking the concealed US hex with a red arrow for the coming turn. Concealment does play out for US units as well, what you don't see will still hurt you, at these Jungle hexes.

I did move two Rifle platoons to their left flank for a diversion. Hopefully that makes them assume there's more to come from that direction as well.

Crossroads

Here's the situation at end of play NVA Turn #4.

For the little indirect fire support I have, all tubes are loaded as I had saved them for this moment. Not much there, though, as revealed by clicking at Indirect Fire Dialog icon, then selecting each battery and plotting their targets.

Quite risky what I did here too, we've made artillery much less a precision strike tool it previously was, with nation specific Adpative AI parameters for artillery drift etc. Here's hoping it mostly hits them, and if not, empty hexes instead.

As you can observe from the screenshot here, they've got quite a nice position here to defend. They sit at reverse slope, which I need to climb and thus use Action Points for that too. Only one assault per turn for my NVA units, where on the same level it would be often two.

They've also got a nice MSR with the road they have on top of the ridge, while I have still two small streams to cross with my left flank.

Lots depends now on what kind of concealment die rolls I get next. Big Ivan will likely see at least some if not most of my units while they fire at him, but hopefully many of them become concealed after he's watched his replay. Then, at least with light arms direct fire, he can fire at "empty" hexes too as he knows the NVA is there, but with modifiers to CRT die rolls.

Hopefully he has not much of indirect fire assets either. If he has, and he's set them to fire at front of this forward line, they will hit me next, too.

Close Air Support remains a threat as well, hopefully he's not called any of that on empty hexes during previous turn, but waits until he sees where I am at. If he plots them come his turn #5, they will arrive at earliest on turn #6.

That said, my position looks quite vulnerable at the moment. To use contemporary tactics, I better have my units assault and get into the mix with them, making indirect fire and CAS a risky business for him, too. Blue on blue does happen in CS: Vietnam.

Crossroads

PBEM file sent. Oh my, much will depend on what happens during next couple of turns  :hide:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 16, 2022, 04:51:35 AM

As you can observe from the screenshot here, they've got quite a nice position here to defend. They sit at reverse slope, which I need to climb and thus use Action Points for that too. Only one assault per turn for my NVA units, where on the same level it would be often two.

They've also got a nice MSR with the road they have on top of the ridge, while I have still two small streams to cross with my left flank.

How did I miss that! They have a road running between Albany and Columbus. They don't really need to airlift to Albany under enemy guns, just fly to Columbus and double time from there.  I should have cut that as a priority from the very beginning  :wow:

Not cool, comrade Crossroads, not cool at all.

Crossroads

Dear Grogheads! Please allow me to introduce myself: I am Political Officer N.N, I have taken over callsign "Crossroads" with immediate effect. Political Office previously in charge of the account has been dealt properly, for his defeatist attitude.

NVA Turn #5 of 12

We go again! Watching the replay,

QuoteHopefully he has not much of indirect fire assets either. If he has, and he's set them to fire at front of this forward line, they will hit me next, too.

... we observe some 105mm fire missions landing on us. No effect, for most part. A step loss for one of the platoons, but who's counting! Good thing there are no 155mm in play at least yet.

Crossroads

With the replay for US phase for Turn #5 done, time to observe the friendly Artillery phase dealing some grief to them, hopefully.

Starting with my 82mm Mortars (it is a good idea to start plotting the artillery with your heaviest pieces, as they hit first, possibly causing retreats, too. Then, with smaller calibers. Do try to hit the stacked hexes with your heavies, first), there's at least one retreat, leaving the hex empty of revealed US units. Then, the 60mm light mortars, with one Fire Mission drifting to hit my own forces. No casualties. Wakey wakey! Time to assault, next!

Before that, I start with the westernmost edge of their defensive line, with my little distraction there. The first platoon moves down to this small valley, next to the revealed US rifle platoon there. Op Fire, retreat. The second rifle platoon then finishes the turn next to them.

"Moves down to valley", he said? Yes, the previous Political Officer, the defeatist he was, or a Western agent, even! He got the elevations wrong. It is us on reverse slope! Duh.

With that, I then move my Fire Support teams adjacent to hex I am about to assault, direct firing at the three US units there to soften them up. A commander, and two Rifle platoons.

Next, Assault! The fierce warriors the NVA are, the remaining US soldiers begin their long march North to PoW camps.

Crossroads

... and that's the action I can do this turn. No worries, with how the actual lay of the map goes, I will try to flank the defenders from both ridge sides to their positions, from North and South. That is quite a difficult position they have, at least at the easternmost edge of their line. Let us see how things heat up as I get closer to LZ Albany. Maybe another Wounded Knee for the 7th Cavalry in the making, after all?

(Having observed the faith of the previous Political Officer, I will not comment on US Close Air Support quite likely showing up next turn. Ugh.)

Here's the status at this stage, at first look, not too bad. The Kill Ration is definitively working for my advantage.

But, with Events, this is not a linear battle for the Objective there. They've occupied the Objective for five turns now, so looks like they gain the objective value per turn. 5 turns, 50 points. Events, however, tell a different story. They've been quite likely rewarded for managing to hold onto LZ Albany with additional Event Points, while my NVA command has taken negative Event points, likely.

Yet, I look at this with Affection and Determination to Win! As I should. The next Political Officer is watching this with a keen eye...

Crossroads

So, with high hopes, and not a little intrepidation for the feared US Close Air Support, it is ...

NVA Turn #6 of 12 - Halfway there!

No Close Air Support! Plenty of Artillery, though. A full Battalion had their tubes full for six fire missions, all of them more or less landing on my troops. Big Ivan's plotted artillery on the likely NVA avenues of approach, I think.

And properly so, too. Not an fire mission wasted on my feeble diversion on his western flank  :))

I took some losses from his Direct Fire as well during his turn, so better to mark that hex down there as occupied, although I can't see anyone there. Jungle is a place to hide for those cavalrymen too...

Unfortunately, not very good die rolls from Disruption recovery. One of four back in play.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 19, 2022, 12:23:22 PM

I took some losses ...

Here's a closer look of units available for the turn. Two MMG and three Rifle Platoon B steppes lost, and the disrupted units right where I want to attack him...

That said, I was very lucky to only take two Disruptions and two MMG losses on that way overstacked hex. There's a defensive penalty if there's more than 12 Strength Points in a hex, I was at double that...

In what is better news, I have to mortar batteries available of three, with the 82mms included. Good good.

Crossroads

Time to hit him back, then!

(1) That shallow stream is quite a PITA where it goes, it costs quite a few Action Points to cross it. To cross it I have to, so planning to do that, and then put some suppressing fire on those US units there, before assault. It looks like two Rifle platoons and one Recon section, telling from the little colored bars on chits that mimic the NATO symbol background color on chits.

(2) Doing that, I find out Big Ivan's put a proper firing position at the ridge as well. A MMG perhaps? Marking the hex so I won't forget it. No losses though!  So firing at those units there with what I can.

(3) Assault time! Having also fired at him with the two Disrupted rifle platoons on that overstacked hex, hoping he's spent his Op Fire now - he had not, but no effect! - I next set the two undisrupted platoons to assault. Gogogogo! Pushed back, with losses! Two further Rifle platoon steps lost.

(4) What remains there then is still quite an overstacked hex, so instead of having another go at them - I had 49 Action Points remaining, so not able to assault a second time by a smallest of marging - I choose to withdraw. That CAS will arrive I am sure.

So not much gained it seems, of course I do not know about his losses without having a look at the Strength and Victory dialogs...

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on January 19, 2022, 12:33:44 PM

... of course I do not know about his losses without having a look at the Strength and Victory dialogs...

-- which I do next, upon ending my turn. Not without trying a little diversive attack on the western perimeter of his forces, which fails as the first platoon retreats after his defensive Op Fire, and I decide to move my second platoon out of harm's way for now as well.

The ever important Kill Ratio? I took 7 step lossese, the US Side A took 5 step losses. That's more than I thought! If only I would have been able to assault his position one more time...

Twenty further Objective points for him, maybe that Objective is 20 points for Side A, and 10 points for Side B? That is indeed possible, Objective values do not need to be symmetric for both sides. No more event points for him, his losses are more dear to him as well, yet I fall back a bit in overall Victory Points.