Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 06, 2023, 03:08:54 PMWell obviously someone caught stealing from your own government being just moved to a new post isn't doing as much as could be done about it. Like maybe firing the guy. Or charging him with a crime? How about finding out what he did with the money? That would at least be a good start.  :nono2:

you mean like this where he got fired:
https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/top-defense-ministry-officials-dismissed-amid-ongoing-food-procurement-scandal

and here were he got arrested:
https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/ukrainska-pravda-court-arrests-ex-deputy-defense-minister-sets-bail-at-10-96-million

or maybe your confusing things with this person leaving one post for another:
https://kyivindependent.com/national/ukrainska-pravda-intelligence-chief-likely-to-replace-defense-minister
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

seems no one bothered that ro-ro after all.

and another is currently loading up another 60 Bradleys stateside today.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2023, 03:15:51 PMwhat disinformation is tucker the taint tanner feeding you today?

These kinds of bullshit comments aren't necessary. Keep them to yourself.

I don't even think the corruption point is a major part of the video. The more pressing takeaways in my view pertain to the losses the Ukrainian military is sustaining to hold onto Bahkmut and its potential to collapse, as well as the fact that US and Europe are essentially still buying Russian crude.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2023, 03:54:46 PMseems no one bothered that ro-ro after all.

and another is currently loading up another 60 Bradleys stateside today.

Ivan is pivoting from dolphins to camels

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2023, 03:59:36 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2023, 03:15:51 PMwhat disinformation is tucker the taint tanner feeding you today?

considering all of the many many times that russian state tv is praising or quoting tucker it might be a more fair question then you think.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2023, 03:59:36 PMThe more pressing takeaways in my view pertain to the losses the Ukrainian military is sustaining to hold onto Bahkmut and its potential to collapse

I mentioned last week that Bahkmut is going to fall.  Im of the opinion that they held it to long.

Skoop

Sounds like it's too target rich to give it up just yet.  The goal always was maximum casualty infliction.  Will Russians run out of meat shields at bahkmut, probaly not.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2023, 04:10:22 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2023, 03:59:36 PM

considering all of the many many times that russian state tv is praising or quoting tucker it might be a more fair question then you think.

I'm not Jarhead and I won't pretend to be him on TV, but I think the "Tucker the taint tanner" comment can be fairly viewed as a personal attack within the domain of this board. 

We can fling monkey poop at each others' ideas all we want, but flinging monkey poop at each other makes this place more odious.  We'd all love a board where everybody agrees with each other, but then we wouldn't learn jack poop.  The happy medium is not to fling monkey poop at each other but only at our ideas.

GDS_Starfury

fwt Im picking on tucker and his opinions. 

Sir Slash

I was only referring to the video JH posted today. I didn't notice you jumping at the chance to post anything contrary to what was in the video until you could make it insulting and personal. A more appropriate response, and a whole lot classier, would've been something like, "Actually, the Ukrainians are making much progress in curbing corruption including taking these actions against the man named in the video" followed by the links. That's a comeback I could respect and might spur some interactions that we could all learn something from. Really this thing you've got for Tucker Carlson is baffling to me and can't be healthy for you.

I would be willing to bet this is not the only case of corruption in the government nor will it be the last we hear about it. The level it existed at before Zelensky came into office means he cannot possibly have eliminated it all though I do believe he has tried. How successful he will be waits to be seen. He has a lot on his plate, fighting the war would take priority I would think.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

the guy is a misinformation mouthpiece that does nothing but gaslight.
he should be called out as such.

Sir Slash

So are you but we still love you.  :Hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2023, 04:12:06 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2023, 03:59:36 PMThe more pressing takeaways in my view pertain to the losses the Ukrainian military is sustaining to hold onto Bahkmut and its potential to collapse

I mentioned last week that Bahkmut is going to fall.  Im of the opinion that they held it to long.

Maybe they are not holding it for too long.  After all, even if you are going to fall back eventually (and I suspect the Ukrainians are going do some major retreats in the next few months to conserve their forces) -- anyway, even if you are planning on retreating, there's no point in doing it too soon, especially when you have some good positions and your enemy is obliging by attacking where you are well prepared in good positions.

JasonPratt

So, getting back to shooting the actual enemies...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kyiv-sabotage-team-kill-major-general-ulyanov-in-latest-blow-to-putin/ss-AA17cvLA?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=05a790826d1742dfae5e9bd833b091f0#image=1

(I realize the Daily Mail can be construed as a misinformation mouthpiece, but this seems legit. ;) )

Compiling the actual article from the Mail's (or maybe MSN's) click-baity formatting:

QuoteVladimir Putin has lost yet another general in the war in Ukraine, according to reports. Major-General Dmitry Ulyanov, 44, had returned to active service after retirement as a commander in Russia's illegal Ukrainian invasion.

He died in a firefight when he was attacked by a Ukrainian sabotage group this week, say reports. Previously Ulyanov was a top paratrooper, commander of the elite 98th Guards Airborne Division. He went to the current war commanding a regiment of mobilized motorized infantrymen from Tatarstan.

Ulyanov had earlier served as the Chief of Staff of the 7th Airborne Division, commander of the 1141st artillery regiment, and commander of the 98th Airborne Division, say open sources.

Ulyanov is the first such high ranked commander to be killed for many months. A family friend posted that he had been the son of a commander. 'Like his father did not sit in the rear, he went to the front line,' said the eulogy. 'Glory to the Hero! Glory to the Airborne Forces!'

The death means Putin has lost at least ten such senior commanders. Reports last year named the following top brass killed in the war: Lt-Gen Yakov Rezantsev, 48, Maj-Gen Andrei Kolesnikov, 45, Maj-Gen Andrey Sukhovetsky, Maj-Gen Vitaly Gerasimov, 44, Maj-Gen Vladimir Frolov, 54, Maj-Gen Andrei Simonov, 55, Maj-Gen Oleg Mityaev, 48, Maj-Gen Kanamat Botashev, 63, and Maj-Gen Roman Kutuzov, 53. Several other earlier claims of high ranking officers killed in the war were not subsequently confirmed.

Wow, glory to the Airborne Forces, for the Major-General who went to the current war commanding... um, wait... a regiment of mobilized motorized infantry from Tatarstan?!?

I feel like this may have been a guy standing perched at an open window of a yacht or a metaphor to that effect.

(To be fair, so little of the VDV remains that he may have just taken whatever combat job he could get rather than sit back safe at home. Still, not exactly glory to the Airborne Forces really.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: MengJiao on February 07, 2023, 08:30:04 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2023, 04:12:06 PM

Maybe they are not holding it for too long.  After all, even if you are going to fall back eventually (and I suspect the Ukrainians are going do some major retreats in the next few months to conserve their forces) -- anyway, even if you are planning on retreating, there's no point in doing it too soon, especially when you have some good positions and your enemy is obliging by attacking where you are well prepared in good positions.

That isn't the problem so much as the enemy pushing to flank and cut off their position.

On the other hand, if the defenders in Bakhmut are strategic bait, then they could be luring the Russians into cutting them off so that the Russians can be hit in the sides and back by counter-siegers.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!