Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

The build philosophy for Soviet / Russian ships does pretty much follow their military philosophy of throwing manpower vs technology at an issue.

The only place they seem to deviate from that is modern air assets. But on the same token they still throw Bear bombers in the sky that can be shot down by almost anything.
Insert witty comment here.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 20, 2022, 12:25:56 PM
Would guess that their sending the ship out came down to, "Well, fucking do something! Now!"

Well, the advanced Krivaks (Krivak Vs ...kinda pushing the idea of a class), the 3500 ton guided missile frigates can shoot 8 hypersonic missiles at land targets.  Even the light frigates can shoot 2.
(so that's about 2-4 other ships they would have out there with some reason) and some big amphibious ships could at least look threatening or even fire unguided rockets at ground targets.  Moskva could
at most fire a pair of 130mm guns at ground targets -- remember the Ukrainians essentially have no navy these days.  So why even take the Moskva in range of any Ukrainian weapons at all?
Except maybe to fly some helicopters?  We know that several Russian ships (and a Turkish ship) either tried to help Moskva or picked up survivors...so there were plenty of other ships the Russians could have
sent out that might even have been able to shoot something substantial at Ukrainian ground targets.

Dammit Carl!

Rumsfeldian answer: "You put to sea what you have, not what you need."

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 21, 2022, 06:24:19 AM

Yet, in theory, they could have seriously considered building up the Black Sea Fleet.  Some guided missile destroyers might have helped.  It just suggests that the whole attack on Ukraine was not
well-thought-out on any level.  Apparenly it was supposed to be a cheap, quick operation and not the resulting massive hit to Russia at all levels (eg. Sweden and Finland in NATO, economic chaos, political disaster, massive loss of credibility, new dependence on China etc. etc.).

JasonPratt

On a purely personal level, I'm glad to have had Tripoli confirm my suspicion that the Moskva was hyper-designed for first strike offense expecting to clear the seas of threat (no doubt in a combined arms way).

I know that was true back before Barbarossa -- Soviet ships suffered badly from having very little anti-air defense, for example, because the 'scientific' doctrine of attack expected all enemy aircraft to be destroyed on the ground with any few stragglers slaughtered in the skies by overwhelming numbers. But I didn't know for sure if that was still going on in the 80s.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jamus34

Quote from: MengJiao on April 21, 2022, 07:38:38 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 21, 2022, 06:24:19 AM

Yet, in theory, they could have seriously considered building up the Black Sea Fleet.  Some guided missile destroyers might have helped.  It just suggests that the whole attack on Ukraine was not
well-thought-out on any level.  Apparenly it was supposed to be a cheap, quick operation and not the resulting massive hit to Russia at all levels (eg. Sweden and Finland in NATO, economic chaos, political disaster, massive loss of credibility, new dependence on China etc. etc.).

I'd hate to be Putin's risk assessment officer at this point  :hide:

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: jamus34 on April 21, 2022, 08:16:47 AM
I'd hate to be Putin's risk assessment officer at this point  :hide:

Dude is probably contemplating tasting the business end of a 12 gauge to get out of the mess every day now.

Gusington

Is there any such thing as a Soviet Risk Assessment Officer?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on April 21, 2022, 08:42:42 AM

Considering how many accidents / blunders the Russians have had over the past years I imagine it is not a highly sought after promotion and has a shelf life measured in months.

Dammit Carl!

Russian Magic 8 ball at best (best 2 out of 3 answers for "professionalism,").

Pete Dero

Quote from: jamus34 on April 21, 2022, 08:47:47 AM

Considering how many accidents / blunders the Russians have had over the past years I imagine it is not a highly sought after promotion and has a shelf life measured in months.

If he is any good at his job he knows not to accept that function.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

If I were in the Russian Navy in the time of war, I would want to be at sea. It beats the hell out of being conscripted into a Naval Brigade and sent to die in the cities.   #:-)   I'd want to be way out to sea.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: steve58 on April 21, 2022, 11:06:53 AM
Fire Rips Through Secret Russian Bureau Responsible for Designing Missiles

Accident or hhhmmmm? :-\

I think the design bureau tried to shoot itself in the foot (better than being sent to jail for not shooting yourself in the foot), but instead went too far and burned the whole place down in an excess of
shoot-in-the-foot enthusiasm.