Crafty marketing and how to see through it

Started by W8taminute, June 28, 2022, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Have you ever had buyers remorse after buying a video game you thought you really really wanted only to find out you were had?

You were deceived into thinking the game was going to be such and such an experience but it turned out to be something else?

This has happened to me quite a few times recently as well as over the years.  I've been buying video games since the late 1980's.  During all of those years I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of games that disappointed me because I was fooled.  That only applies up until the past 2 or 3 years however.  There have been more than 10 games I've bought recently that have been disappointments. 

I'm trying to figure out why the failure rate has increased in my gaming purchases given my stellar performance up until about 2019.  I pride myself on being able to discern whether I'll like a game or not but even with all my years of experience I've been hoodwinked quite too much recently.

I have my theories based on a case by case study of my failures but I don't want to share my findings yet until I have seen what others have to say.  If no one replies after 72 hours I'll go ahead and elaborate.   ;)

Curious to see if anyone else here has had similar experiences?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

An oldie...

1944 Across the Rhine. 

Marketed as M1 Tank Platoon in WW2.....EXTENSIVELY marketed that way.

It was....not.  Not even in the same genre. 

One of the most disappointing purchases of a game I've ever made and still leaves a sour taste.

Back then there wasn't really a way to see through it except to wait for reviews, and I didn't.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Great question! I suppose as I get older I get more disappointed more often...I'll have to think and come up with the worst disappointments.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Not disappointed in very many games I've purchased.  It's more disappointment in myself for buying a game I knew I wouldn't have time to play. 

However, two games in recent memory that have stood out as massive disappointments were Art of War 4 and Distant Worlds 2.  In both cases the time between releases somehow made me think there would be significant upgrades to the games in spite of what I was reading about the game.  It's like my brain refused to accept the data. 

AOW4 was more of an update to UI with minor improvements.  My brain simply couldn't accept that there were almost no new scenarios (at least they all looked familiar) and the UI simply didn't click with me. 

DW2 was a much bigger disappointment.  I'm not a graphics whore and the updated graphics was completely wasted on me.  I found the UI changes to be very annoying (popup messages that sometimes pause the game and sometimes don't).  I didn't see any significant changes to game play.  It was like "I played this game 10 years ago, why did I pay full price for this?"  Perhaps the length of time between game versions caused me to not appreciate the upgrades because I couldn't recall the old game very well.

In my case I think it was NOT paying attention to the marketing led me to expect significant changes that weren't there.

jamus34

There was a team based shooter on Steam that touted its parkour elements. Forget the name but I preordered it and it because the game that pretty much swore me off preorders. Not a terrible game but the single player was almost non existant and it was overhyped. Yeah it had parkour but the maps severely limited the usablility of this mechanic.
Insert witty comment here.

steve58

Quote from: bobarossa on June 28, 2022, 05:17:40 PM
Not disappointed in very many games I've purchased.  It's more disappointment in myself for buying a game I knew I wouldn't have time to play. 

Same, I was going to post something similar earlier.  I've been trying to wait and buy them anyway...on the cheap.

Quote from: jamus34 on June 28, 2022, 05:31:20 PM
There was a team based shooter on Steam that touted its parkour elements. Forget the name but I preordered it and it because the game that pretty much swore me off preorders. Not a terrible game but the single player was almost non existant and it was overhyped. Yeah it had parkour but the maps severely limited the usablility of this mechanic.

OK, had to look up "parkour"  :-[
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

m1 tank platoon was shit but we all played the cd that came with pc gamer and bought it.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Are you talking about Brink?  Or a more recent title?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Who can forget the original great deceptive marketing campaign?

I mean, it's not like you could market a crash to DOS screen and sell it...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jamus34

Quote from: al_infierno on June 28, 2022, 07:06:42 PM

Are you talking about Brink?  Or a more recent title?

That's the one. Probably the only game I've paid full preorder price for and got maybe an hour or two of playtime out of it.
Insert witty comment here.

steve58

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 28, 2022, 07:06:58 PM
Who can forget the original great deceptive marketing campaign?

I mean, it's not like you could market a crash to DOS screen and sell it...

Glad I passed on that one.  His name, who shall not be mentioned, lives on forever in the internet-sphere.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sigwolf

The guy had some really great ideas... he was just really crap at implementing them.  If his ego would have allowed him to partner with some quality QC programmers, he could have released some amazing games. 

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on June 28, 2022, 07:48:01 PM

Glad I passed on that one.  His name, who shall not be mentioned, lives on forever in the internet-sphere.

I had the honor of being personally insulted several times by the not so good "Doctor" in the Great Flame War.

W8taminute

Lot's of good input there guys.

Back in the early days of gaming all you had was the gameplay description on the back of the box to go by.  Maybe, if you were lucky there would be a short magazine article around the same time a game would come out.  That's all you had to go by, unless you had a friend who bought the game and let you try it out.

Also back then because video gaming was new a good majority of games that came out were actually fun to play.  It was the novelty of playing games on screen that kind of reminded you of the board games you played.

Today however all the ideas have been beat to death so it's hard to come up with something new but not so alien that it's a turn off.  Although there are tons of YouTube gameplay and review videos for just about any game that comes out many of those reviewers are bought and paid for.  Motivated by getting views and boosting their channel.  Even guys that are trusted and genuine get bought out here and there in order to push a crap game. 

Take for example the recent release of Strategic Command ACW.  From what I'm hearing it's a good game.  But the vacant civil war games that have come out in the past few years that were really hyped up but turned out to be major disappointments put a bad taste in my mouth.  As a result an actual good game that gets newly released today may be automatically rejected by gamers because of the hoodwinking of previous titles. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CptHowdy

i havent felt this personally but i think a lot people felt that way about No Mans Sky when it was first released