Flight simulator hardware for all eras

Started by SirAndrewD, October 20, 2022, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 23, 2022, 02:18:57 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 23, 2022, 02:08:39 PM

Heh.  I bought the X-55 after dumping my G940 (man I miss force feedback sticks).  Love the throttle, hate the stick.  And I never could get the software to work for it....

Yes, I hated the stick for the X-56.  The throttle's great, I really really love its action, possibly more than my Virpil. 

But yeah, the stick was just....not good.  Uncomfortable, not precise.

My old X-52 Pro was a much better HOTAS.

Yeah. I was never a big fan of the X-55 Rhino, although I used it for many years. It never felt like the upgrade from my standard X-52 that I was expecting it to be. During the height of the pandemic when prices of everything were crazy, I actually found a NIB X-52 Pro at a Microcenter in Queens. It was regular retail price so I picked it up for the hell of it. I still have it never opened.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Winwing Topgun MIP arrived and assembled. I have not plugged it in yet or tested it out. I have a new rig coming soon that is going to replace the one in the photo, so I may holdoff so that I don't have to do setup twice in rapid succession. As is typical for Winwing, very high quality. Very smart design. Very good packaging.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Amazing amount of kit right there. I see you are using the trackIR hat reflectors rather than the headphone mounted reflectors. You use speakers rather than a headset a lot of the time? Or just prefer the hat because it has no cords.
Does the chair swivel or is it a pain to get in and out of being heavy and static? A mate of mine has purchased a brand of chair that he got a special addon kit for so he could BOLT his joystick and throttle on to. THe problem for me with his setup is that it is a swivel chair with permanent cords coming out of the HOTAS to the back of the PC. A solution would have been a battery powered bluetooth to bluetooth kit of some kind. However unless you want to use a rasberry pie or something they do not seem to exist.
I have to ask. Is that PC dedicated to DCS? Is there another rig for normal gaming?

I can see I am going to have to buy a stack of magazines to keep up. ;)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on November 12, 2022, 07:53:02 PM
Amazing amount of kit right there. I see you are using the trackIR hat reflectors rather than the headphone mounted reflectors. You use speakers rather than a headset a lot of the time? Or just prefer the hat because it has no cords.

I don't use trackIR. Haven't touched it since I got my first VR headset.

Does the chair swivel or is it a pain to get in and out of being heavy and static? A mate of mine has purchased a brand of chair that he got a special addon kit for so he could BOLT his joystick and throttle on to. THe problem for me with his setup is that it is a swivel chair with permanent cords coming out of the HOTAS to the back of the PC. A solution would have been a battery powered bluetooth to bluetooth kit of some kind. However unless you want to use a rasberry pie or something they do not seem to exist.

No swivel. It is somewhat of a pain to get in and out of, but not too bad. I have it on a plastic mat and it slides reasonably well.

I have to ask. Is that PC dedicated to DCS? Is there another rig for normal gaming?

Yes and Yes. That rig is exclusively dedicated to flight. At any one time, I'm running about five PCs. I have the flight rig. Two rigs linked to a KVM switch. One is for mostly work and "older" games. The other is for high end gaming and room scale VR. Another rig I let my daughter play around on and finally, I have an older rig dedicated to 3D printing and other "workshop" type applications.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Very cool. Regarding the daughter thing. I know somebody who has two young daughters who change all his cabling and windows settings. He always gets a shock when he sits down and some peripheral he expected is not working lol. Letting these two into your computer room would require a watchful eye. lol. I hope your young ones are either in another room or very well behaved. :)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Well, tomorrow I upgrade to the RTX 4090 after a 2080 Super as my primary card for DCS.

I'll give some impressions.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 11, 2023, 12:06:23 AMWell, tomorrow I upgrade to the RTX 4090 after a 2080 Super as my primary card for DCS.

I'll give some impressions.

You should notice a significant improvement. The jump with my 4090 rig from the 3080ti and 6900xt systems is notable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

I just wish the 3090 didn't take up that many PCIe slots. I tend to re-use my old gaming GPUs in my server, and I can at most take a 2-slot design there.

SirAndrewD

And, now the MFD's installed with mounting solutions. 

I'm going to grab a third MFD next month for the center mount after confirming that they will lock effectively to the Virpil center mount. 

After that it's finally time to start considering a separate cockpit to fit all this into.

SirAndrewD

Couldn't help myself. I grabbed the third winwing MFD and am going to center mount it in my Virpil rig.