Jukebox Playlist

Started by Bison, February 07, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

Quote from: Ubercat on July 19, 2015, 10:17:42 PM
:) Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain are the two Miles albums that I own.

That's one more than me.   :)  I just have Kind of Blue.  I was starting to build a jazz CD collection, but then I discovered Pandora, JazzRadio.com and Spotify, and that was that.   ;D

Having said that, my last album purchase was White Heat.  It is a collection of modern renditions of the jazz songs from classic films noir.  Some very nice interpretations on that.  You can search for it on Spotify.  That is how I found it.   
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Ubercat

I've heard of those but I'm not familiar.

The only musicking I do online is youTube and occasionally buying an album on iTunes. I currently have 563 albums by 220 artists on my iPod. For some reason iTunes no longer lists total number of songs or total playtime and I can't figure out how to get it to do so. As of about seven years ago, I had around 12 days worth of music on it, twenty four hours a day without repeating anything.  ;D There are still songs on there that I've never heard.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

RooksBailey

Quote from: Ubercat on July 19, 2015, 11:17:07 PM
I've heard of those but I'm not familiar.

The only musicking I do online is youTube and occasionally buying an album on iTunes.

You should really try those online music sites.  They are a great way of finding new music, as well as hearing old favorites.  Pandora is great for exploring since it plays music similar to what you tell it you like.  Spotify is great for digging into artists you already like since you can listen to almost any album on demand (and for free - all these sites are free, albeit they all offer premium plans).  And JazzRadio.com, the new kid on the block, is just great for streaming all different types of jazz (Accuradio.com is another good site with an excellent jazz section).

QuoteI currently have 563 albums by 220 artists on my iPod. For some reason iTunes no longer lists total number of songs or total playtime and I can't figure out how to get it to do so. As of about seven years ago, I had around 12 days worth of music on it, twenty four hours a day without repeating anything.  ;D There are still songs on there that I've never heard.

Wow, that is a lot of music! Based on my iTunes stats, I only have 159 songs and 13.5 hours of music.  You put me to shame!   :D  To be fair, I have a bunch of CDs too that I never bothered to upload to iTunes as I usually can listen to them on Spotify or what have you.  I only load music to iTunes when I want to take it along on my Nano, which is usually when I can't count on a WiFi network to stream my online music services. 

BTW: in iTunes, click on "my music."  At the bottom of the screen it should tell you the exact number of songs and hours of music (this is with the latest 12.2 update).
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Ubercat

I did a Google search tonight and after about 20 minutes of trying different things  :uglystupid2:, I finally got it to display again. Currently 6169 "items" (probably includes podcasts) and 18.1 days worth of content.

Thanks for tipping me off to those services.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

RooksBailey

Quote from: Ubercat on July 21, 2015, 09:37:45 PM
I did a Google search tonight and after about 20 minutes of trying different things  :uglystupid2:, I finally got it to display again. Currently 6169 "items" (probably includes podcasts) and 18.1 days worth of content.

Thanks for tipping me off to those services.

Don't mention it!  And I am glad you got your iTunes working again.  Wow, that is a lot of music!   ;D

RooksBailey

Excellent, toe-tapping jazz:

RooksBailey

I first heard this song in the excellent 1958 French film noir, Elevator to the Gallows.  Great song.  Really, the contemporary idea that films noir routinely contain this type of sultry jazz comes from that movie.  In truth, most films noir of the classical period (1946-58) either used uptempo swing jazz or boilerplate movie scoring. 

mirth

Miles Davis was a genius. Kind of Blue is my favorite album of all-time.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RooksBailey

Quote from: mirth on August 12, 2015, 09:31:48 PM
Miles Davis was a genius. Kind of Blue is my favorite album of all-time.

He was, and Kind of Blue is just fantastic.  Even people who don't like jazz usually have kind words about that masterwork.

Just now I found an interesting story and video concerning Davis' work on the soundtrack for Elevator to the Gallows:

http://www.openculture.com/2015/05/watch-miles-davis-improvise-the-soundtrack-for-elevator-to-the-gallows.html

QuoteThe modal experimentation in Miles Davis' classic albums Milestones and, especially, 1959's Kind of Blue seemed to come out of nowhere. Along with similarly groundbreaking releases at the end of the fifties, these records irrevocably changed the sound of jazz. But hardcore jazz fans, and cinephiles, would have seen the development coming, having heard Davis' soundtrack to Louis Malle's 1958 crime thriller Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud—trailer below). As the story goes, Davis happened to be in Paris in 1957 during the film's postproduction to perform at the Club Saint-Germain. Malle's assistant—perhaps inspired by the moody jazz soundtracks of films like Roger Vadim's Does One Ever Know and Alexander Mackendrick's Sweet Smell of Success—suggested Davis to the director. After a private screening of the film, the trumpeter and composer agreed to take the gig. It was Davis' first soundtrack and Malle's first feature film....

mirth

^Nice find. Thanks for sharing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

That's a really great site. Lots of good articles.

RooksBailey

Yeah, I was just poking around too and found some cool stuff.    I knew the internet must be good for something else besides cat videos.   :)

bayonetbrant

The Worlds Only Nedal Band

QuoteBut how did the band - consisting of members Head Ned, Bled Ned, Red Ned, Thread Ned and Stead Ned - come up with the Simpsons-based idea?

"Myself and our drummer were in line at a grocery store [Kwik-E Mart?], entertaining ourselves by coming up with really cutesy names for really hardcore, brutal bands," lead singer Head Ned told Rip It Up.

"The name Okilly Dokilly came up and was very funny to us - we ran with it. I contacted a few friends, and here we are.

"Most of us have played in other bands around our hometown. This is definitely the heaviest sounding project any of us Neds have done."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/there-is-a-ned-flandersthemed-metal-band-called-okilly-dokilly-10453357.html
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on July 10, 2015, 10:11:15 PM
Heard it on the radio yesterday, B_C.  There was a lot of good stuff coming out when my kids were growing up.

I love to play this song on Guitar Hero.  And it's got some good anime in it, too.

Thanks for making me not feel so old MD.  At your expense in this case.  :-*

Nefaro

Speaking of old-timers:

(some of the less jarring Nef music  >:D )