Jukebox Playlist

Started by Bison, February 07, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailrunner

Growing up by the beach in the 70s put a soft spot in my heart for Loggins and Messina.  When I was about 18 (in 1979), I worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant that had a small bar.  For entertainment, there would be a guy playing a guitar and singing mellow hits.  He'd come on when the restaurant was winding down and I was finishing my cleanup, and listening to him helped me pass the time.  I always cringed when he played G-L-O-R-I-A, and liked it when he played Margaritaville.  He probably played Loggins and Messina, but I don't remember which song he played.  These songs take me back to that time.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2017, 01:20:58 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on November 30, 2017, 11:26:13 AM
You're gonna ditch Phil Collins   :knuppel2: And pray  do tell me kind sir,  what is wrong with a guy and his piano singing his heart out 

nothing, when it's not cheap tacky chart-focused bubblegum crap

Gotta agree with Brant on this one.  Phil has a pretty good ear for what is going to sell, and there's nothing wrong with that, but, the pursuit of sales usually coincides with some real stinkers that still make money some how.  And I have nothing against a man and his piano singing.  I dig Billy Joel, Elton John, Steve Winwood, ELP, Genesis, and a lot of others that have keyboards in them on and on.  On top of it, Phil chose to cover a song where the original was better (and, mercifully shorter (kind of like Phil himself)).

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

How about some Smithereens?

Martok

Setting aside the OVER-THE-TOP DESCRIPTION ( ::) ), I'm rather enjoying this instrumental rendition: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Pete Dero

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 30, 2017, 12:16:15 PM

I have every cd Slayer and Miranda Lambert ever released and I have over 15 Manilow cd's.  Don't know if this is normal but I like it  \m/  :crazy2:

That sounds good to me  O0 I say ,'embrace the obsession ' O:-) ....cuz as obsessions go , Manilow music is not a bad one to have !!!!! I've never heard of Miranda Lambert before ! But I think she's great  :bd:

Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2017, 06:51:59 PM
You're gonna ditch Phil Collins   :knuppel2: And pray  do tell me kind sir,  what is wrong with a guy and his piano singing his heart out 

Gotta agree with Brant on this one.  Phil has a pretty good ear for what is going to sell, and there's nothing wrong with that, but, the pursuit of sales usually coincides with some real stinkers that still make money some how.  And I have nothing against a man and his piano singing.  I dig Billy Joel, Elton John, Steve Winwood, ELP, Genesis, and a lot of others that have keyboards in them on and on.  On top of it, Phil chose to cover a song where the original was better (and, mercifully shorter (kind of like Phil himself )).

Ok guys , I take your point on board that he might have had his eye on the cash here instead of the music . But I still don't think the song is as bad as you're both making it out to be .But that's probably because I'm a Phil fan ,and you guys aren't .which is fair enough  :)

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 30, 2017, 12:18:20 PM
You're gonna ditch Phil Collins   :knuppel2: And pray  do tell me kind sir,  what is wrong with a guy and his piano singing his heart out   ???  I'm mightily offended  :tickedoff: I happen to like that song, and the movie Buster is really good too  :P

I like this one :

Great drummer by the way.

Yeah ,I think that's a great song too  :) funny you should mention the drumming , because that's how I got into his music in the first place . My cousin married a drummer , and I have another cousin who is also a drummer . They both got me into genesis/Phil Collins when I was a teenager , because they'd play his music for me on the drums  :) And they both loved him as a drummer , and a singer , but obviously they came at it from a drummers perspective . But to hear his music played live by two drummers is pretty flippin awesome !!!!! So I have those memories of his music burned into my brain  8) I'm always going to be a fan  :)

Quote from: trailrunner on November 30, 2017, 06:29:12 PM
Growing up by the beach in the 70s put a soft spot in my heart for Loggins and Messina.  When I was about 18 (in 1979), I worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant that had a small bar.  For entertainment, there would be a guy playing a guitar and singing mellow hits.  He'd come on when the restaurant was winding down and I was finishing my cleanup, and listening to him helped me pass the time.  I always cringed when he played G-L-O-R-I-A, and liked it when he played Margaritaville.  He probably played Loggins and Messina, but I don't remember which song he played.  These songs take me back to that time.

That sounds unbelievably idyllic  :dreamer: I love the beach ....I love music , I can't think of a more perfect way to spend a summer doing both  8)  I know you didn't mention summer , but I've got that image in my head of perfect summer days  :) AND , you got paid to be there ....BONUS !!!!! I thought the two songs you've posted are just beautiful , wow , I'll be listening to them again and tracking down more of there music  :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2017, 10:02:53 PM

Great band! I used to have 'Blood & Roses' and 'Wall of Sleep' on my VW Shirocco's default mixtape back in the day.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 01, 2017, 06:58:14 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2017, 10:02:53 PM

YES! Great band!

While I was doing the '88 research last night, I came across that song and I thought, 'Didn't they have a few songs I liked back then and why am I just now wondering that?'  So I looked back to the first album and found 'Behind the Wall of Sleep,' and 'Blood and Roses,' and listened to them both all the way through (which I don't normally do as it would take me for EVER to do these Brackets otherwise).  And I remembered that I really dug those songs.  So, when it's time for some Spotify, I am going to track down the first two albums and jam  O0

Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 01, 2017, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2017, 06:51:59 PM

Gotta agree with Brant on this one.  Phil has a pretty good ear for what is going to sell, and there's nothing wrong with that, but, the pursuit of sales usually coincides with some real stinkers that still make money some how.  And I have nothing against a man and his piano singing.  I dig Billy Joel, Elton John, Steve Winwood, ELP, Genesis, and a lot of others that have keyboards in them on and on.  On top of it, Phil chose to cover a song where the original was better (and, mercifully shorter (kind of like Phil himself )).

Ok guys , I take your point on board that he might have had his eye on the cash here instead of the music . But I still don't think the song is as bad as you're both making it out to be .But that's probably because I'm a Phil fan ,and you guys aren't .which is fair enough  :)

Pretty cool having musicians in the family.  Even cooler that they turned you on to Genesis.  But I am a Peter Gabriel guy, and in that Genesis, Phil is just the drummer.  Don't get me wrong, I dig a lot of what came after Pete left, Trick of the Tail, Duke, Abacab, all good albums with Phil singing.  It's after Abacab that I have a problem.  Genesis was the beginning of the end.  There's some great songs on there, but, 'Illegal Alien,' is just a terrible song.  Or at least say it hasn't aged well at all.  And Invisible Touch, outside of, 'Tonight, Tonight, Tonight,' and 'Land of Confusion,' is just pure cash grab.  And it just gets worse from there.

MetalDog

"What's your favorite colour?"

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Summer of '89, only had my license a few months...  cruising out to Lake Lawtonka and Mt Scott and making s'mores over one of the built-in grills at the picnic area
It was the first time since 1981 - and one of only 3 times in my life - that I went back to the same school in the same town with at least half of the same people

[yt]https://youtu.be/6V5VkMqM07s[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Public Enemy in full effect

bayonetbrant

saw these guys live in Charlotte in '92, supposed to be opening for Pearl Jam, but Eddie's voice was shot so they refunded us half and let us in to see FFN
Couldn't go back when PJ came back thru to honor the original tickets

[yt]https://youtu.be/eTZMwuHxkQU[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Public Enemy is just awesome.  Good to see them being appreciated.

MetalDog

Two killer tracks from one of the all time metal albums (and the best show I ever saw).