Jukebox Playlist

Started by Bison, February 07, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

trailrunner

bayonetbrant

Quote from: trailrunner on May 08, 2018, 08:38:30 PM
MD posted that video on the previous page about four days ago.

He is a man with excellent taste.   :cowboy:

I am a man with lazy tendencies about double-checking what was posted...   #:-)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

bayonetbrant

Pete - I just gave that Nightwish cover of Over The Hills a listen.  Man, as good as the band is, the mock-opera vocals over the top just totally ruin it for me :-\

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 09, 2018, 05:40:42 AM
Quote from: trailrunner on May 08, 2018, 08:38:30 PM
MD posted that video on the previous page about four days ago.

He is a man with excellent taste.   :cowboy:

I am a man with lazy tendencies about double-checking what was posted...   #:-)

Thank you, sir!  \m/
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Pete Dero

Nice TV concept : artists cover each other's songs.

Original

Great cover

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 10, 2018, 04:36:08 AM
Nice TV concept : artists cover each other's songs.

http://strayvoltage.blogspot.com/2008/05/thinking-about-cover-songs.html

back in 2008

QuoteI've been thinking about songs that would make good cover tunes. Let's face it, no one really expected The English Beat to cover Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson, but it works.

However, I've come up with a twist - the artists have to trade songs. So here are a few suggestions:

Van Morrison covers Thorn in My Pride by The Black Crowes
The Black Crowes cover Cleaning Windows by Van Morrison

Mindi Abair covers Righteous by Eric Johnson
He covers Come As You Are by her

Train performs Not Even The Trees from Hootie & The Blowfish's debut
Hootie covers Calling All Angels

Bryan Adams takes a crack at Daylight Fading from Counting Crows
They turn around and cover She's Only Happy When She's Dancing

Whitesnake does Jealous Lover; Rainbow does Fool For Your Loving; Roger Glover gets totally confused.

Sheryl Crow sings Keep the Faith by Bon Jovi. He belts out If It Makes You Happy.

There's plenty of fun to be had by all here...

I remember having this conversation around that time back at WGer, but they've pulled the plug on the archives that were over there at old.wargamer.com/forums/

Pete Dero

This year is season 4 of this rather successful TV show (and no competition or televoting involved and no one is send home early !)
7 artists spend a few weeks together away from home and each week 6 cover a few songs from the 7th.

Some of the covers end up being bigger hits than the original versions.

P.S. Can't access the blog (requires a Google-blogger account).

bayonetbrant

The entire blog post is quoted above, so no real need to follow the link

And that show sounds fantastic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Pete Dero

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 09, 2018, 08:55:45 PM
Pete - I just gave that Nightwish cover of Over The Hills a listen.  Man, as good as the band is, the mock-opera vocals over the top just totally ruin it for me :-\

Around 2012 they changed lead vocals and have Floor Jansen (from the Netherlands) in the band who has a bit less of that opera sound.
The previous singer Tarja did sing in the Savonlinna Opera choir.

Previous band of Floor Jansen.

Nightwish with Floor Jansen

BanzaiCat

BanzaiCat

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 11, 2018, 08:20:04 AM
Ruby Soho

You posted that more recently that I re-posted MD's Straight Jacket tune   :buck2:   L:-)