Carrier Command - Microprose

Started by Zulu1966, June 06, 2021, 11:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

So has anyone played the BETA. Man was so looking forward to a modern interpretation of this game.

WTF - they made it look worse than the original. ~Why build a game purposely to make it look like it came from an amiga.

Jeez ...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

I was a little surprised by the retro look, but I don't think it is that terrible. It is high res and stylistic, but I agree, it would have been much cooler to really make the graphics shine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

I think retro look can work...it is really all about the gameplay for me.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

hellfish6

I like the retro look. Gameplay looks pretty interesting too. Definitely a buy, maybe a look-and-see-for-when for reviews and post-launch support or sales, though.

Zulu1966

Each to their own I guess. I will give it another go but still a big disappointment.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

al_infierno

Tried out the demo and I liked it quite a lot.  I never played the original so I have no frame of reference, but this seems like an awesome carrier sim with your standard power/ammo/engine/etc. management.  I dig all the little interactive screens and bells and whistles that give you information about the ship's status, weather conditions, radar, and so on.  The command deck is a bit busy with screens and buttons but it's all clean and clearly laid out.  The loadout customization for vehicles seemed really cool and reminded me of the original X-Com.

The retro style is a bit rough when you look closely at textures, but from distances I think the game looks quite nice.  The waypoint system was a bit funky in that I didn't seem to be able to move or delete any waypoints for my moving ground forces - not sure if that's intentional but it's rather annoying.  Overall I'll definitely be checking this out when it comes out.

Here's a couple screenshots - one that shows my view of my deploying SEAL team approaching the opfor island, and another zoomed in for a better look.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

The_Admiral

The demo has been updated to support cooperative multiplayer. This is how it feels to play with friends  8)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1060690376