Main Menu

Game Eye-wear?

Started by TheCommandTent, April 18, 2012, 08:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Recently I've seen ads for these showing up on several websites I visit.  Anyone heard anything about these.  Is it just a gimmick or something to think about getting?  They are kind of expensive, but my eyes definitely get strained sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time.

http://www.gunnars.com/what-are-gunnars/
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Never heard of them.

I do know that the tint of a lens can help clarify. Ski goggles, for instance: grey for sunny days, yellow for cloudy.

Whether you need an expensive set of lenses to improve your vision is something I'll need to be convinced of.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I wonder how well they work..... or if they really work. It certainly would make the hours in front of the pc easier on the eyes if they did.... I say we test them on Gus  ;)

MikeGER

it was allways a speciality of Americans businessman to make  ppl thing they need somehing bad and its a fancy must  to have too, which ppl really don't need ;)

think about all those fps -kids, who thing they will get an edge if they ware shooting gasses while the opponent don't.   

its a brillant marketing strategy, inspiered from OUTDOOR sport, including shooting... what the don't tell is that: you can adjust your LCD in allmost every aspects to your eyes, while the sky above you cant.

if your screen is to 'blue' , decrease the color temperature setting
if your screen is to 'bright',  decrease your brightness
and so on

the headage problem came from having your eyes focused on a near surface for a longer time and also staring at a small area... while naturally the eye-lens muscles liked to be focused in the distance and also in addition eyes are 'wandering' - shifting from point of interest to next point of interest-  also the blink frequency is reduced when watching a screen for a longer time, which may lead to first dry-eye irritation symptoms in addation   

glasses of what kind so ever will work at all ...you have to make breaks regularyl   

well, of course if you have bad eye sight and need glasses in other situations, getting reading-glasses that are metered in and customized to your eyes for computer work distances by an optician, is a different story,  but thats only about picture sharpness

Staggerwing

Mike is right about this. With modern LCD monitors you can adjust most aspects of color and brightness
to minimize eyestrain. Short  and frequent breaks are the best solution for those folks who
don't already have a refractive error of some kind (near-sightedness or far-sightedness, with
or without astigmatism). Three times an hour you should look away at something that is at least
20-25 feet away and count to 20. If you are middle aged you might consider seeing your Eye Dr
to find out if you have a mild corrective error that was masked previously by less computer use.
You can also try a pair of +1.00 GOOD QUALITY reading glasses, with lens size large enough
to not be distracted by the edge of the frame but not too heavy to annoy you. See the Doctor first
in case you are not seeing as well as you think you are.
If you need to wear corrective lenses anyway, then you might consider features to enhance
vision such as an antireflective lens coating. It will minimize some of the natural dispersion of
light coming from the monitor as well as cutting down on distracting reflections from room lights.
If you spend a lot of time in a dark room on a computer then a monitor back light might also help
in the same way it can help while watching tv in a dark room. As far as special tinted lenses go,
I wouldn't bother unless there is no way to color adjust the monitor and the color balance is off
a lot. Back in the old Monochrome days folks would be prescribed certain colors to 'dull down'
the sharpness of a single color such as green or amber but this is useless on a monitor displaying
millions of colors unless you can't adjust the intensity of your screen. Then you could try a very light grey
tint if you need the glasses anyway or, better yet, get a glare filter.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

You guys are way too mature and rational for me - I need me a pair of them killin' glasses   ;)

LongBlade

Computers don't produce nearly the eyestrain they used to. Back in my high school days I spent a week at a summer camp at a local college learning FORTRAN, a programming language.

We had these green screen monitors. After a couple of days even my 17 year old healthy eyes started to produce headaches. *That* is eyestrain.

Today's monitors are dreams in comparison.

In any event, these glasses are supposed to help sharpen the senses for gaming. They might actually work - colored lenses aren't exactly new. Even if it just gives you a placebo effect if it works it might be worth it. Amazon has a bunch of these for sale at about $80. I'm not interested in them for that price, but as they say, YMMV.

Gusington

I do spend most days staring at a screen for 10+ hours. I am farsighted so I need glasses to read or use a computer. Just last week I got a migraine from looking to long...at the screen you pervs. Luckily when I get migraines if I just close my eyes for 10 minutes they go away...they're not crippling.

I just got a new prescription for my glasses too and they don't work as well as my old glasses...so I don't use them. Weird. Anyway if I got these gaming glasses my eyes would probably bleed...sounds like so much snake oil to me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I don't know if I completely poo-poo the idea.

The more I think about it the more I think there might be some merit to it.

First thing I'd recommend if you're tempted is to go down to Wal-Mart and buy some yellow tinted shooting glasses. See if that does anything for you.

The key to this eyewear seems to be the slight tint of the yellow. Maybe there are some cheaper tinted lenses out there (probably for shooters, but who knows, maybe for skiers or even some other kind of sport?). Try that. If it works, then maybe pony up the $80. But I don't think I'd take first bite at the $80 unless I had that money burning a hole in my pocket.

Gusington

When it comes to my eyes I don't like to self diagnose and I definitely don't like to go cheap. So...I will go with the first instincts displayed in this thread, avoid these glasses and visit the eye doctor again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Gus,
What problems are you having with your new glasses? Is it just the computer screen or are you also having trouble with distance? It's always possible that the doctor may have slightly under or over corrected you for what you need v what distance the doctor measured you at. If you have only recently been refracted you should call the office and let them know that you have an issue. Most optometrists and ophthalmologist will do a recheck at no charge if you let them know soon enough. then you can have the Rx lenses changed if needed. Before you go, measure the distance to your monitor screen and make a note of it. Also, compare your new glasses with the old and note which is better for driving, which for reading, and which for computer. This will all help determine what modification are needed.

EDIT: just noticed your last post. Going back for a recheck is the way to go.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

^Thanks SW. Here's the thing...I called the doctor immediately and he rechecked the prescription and said it was correct. But it's just not strong enough. Print is much clearer with my old prescription. So next time I go in I'm going to have them compare my new glasses with my old.

Luckily I don't need glasses to drive or anything like that. Just reading, computer work, gaming, etc. I have decent sight at a distance.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Just remember to measure the practical working distance before going. ;)

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 19, 2012, 10:28:34 AM
Just remember to measure the practical working distance before going. ;)

Yeah, my script is slightly off for reading. I find it's actually easier to read fine print at the middle distance than it is to try and see it up close. If I really need to see something small I break out my 3x off-the-shelf readers that I use for painting minis. If I can't see with those it might as well not exist.

Gusington

Thanks guys. This is the first time I've had an issue. Been wearing glasses for reading for 20 years!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd