What % of Games Owned Have You Played?

Started by airboy, June 08, 2020, 12:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

My top 8 on STREAM for play time. 1,115 hours for HOI4 so far.
284 hours of Skyrim and I've not even finished the game yet. That's value.

twitter3

Quote from: airboy on June 08, 2020, 08:28:17 PM
Quote from: twitter3 on June 08, 2020, 04:32:59 PM
I have played 100% of the computer games I have bought, most of them many times. Something must be wrong with me...

You have control over your game impulse buying!  Something not shared by most of us.  But all the same, I admire your discipline.

Perhaps you can give Jason Pratt and a few (unnamed) others online therapy?

I don't know about all that.

I will share something I have found has happened to me a few times with different games. I get so invested with the game and find myself in a poor strategic position that I actually become hesitant to complete the next few turns as I don't want to see the units I put in that situation succumb to their fate. I still haven't finished a WWI Gold game started a few years ago with my German 8th army because I know hitting next turn will spell the destruction of it. Weird I know but with some games I get so wrapped up in it that I can't finish it.

Tripoli

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 08, 2020, 10:03:01 PM
Weirdly, at 551 hours Empire Total War is the most played game in my Steam Library.   

It's strange, I don't feel like I put that much time into it. 

I'm pretty sure I've got more than that in Elite Dangerous but I don't have the Steam version.

I think Steam calculates based on the time you spent logged on.  For instance, if you log on to a game, then put it on pause and walk away for 2 hours, Steam says you have been playing the  game for two hours
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

^I posted above that TW games also don't log you off once you've exited the game sometimes and keep running in the background.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I avoid Steam when I can.  Gog does not accurately log time.

Probably my longest plays are:
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Order of Battle WW2 (including campaigns)
X-Com (original)
Empire (original back on floppy)
Morrowind
Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas
Dominions 3
Civilization 2
Icewind Dale
Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven

Sir Slash

Does opening the board game box count as playing it?  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Zulu1966

About 1. Played to any sort of completion 0.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

smittyohio

I don't even want to calculate my PC, XBox, or Switch percentage....  at least with board games (and I own waaaaaay too many) I am around 40-50%.

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on June 09, 2020, 03:52:48 AM
Shouldn't we just count the games we paid at full price? Anyway, i think i played most of the games when i was still buying them in physical form.
I too was wondering whether/how much to count freebie/giveaway games towards my total.  Doing so would change my numbers somewhat. 

I find it hard to believe that people have played more than 1'000 on a single game. The two games i've played most in the last 6 years are Master of Orion CTS (320 hours) and Horizon (157 hours) and that's already a lot. I've seen people with playtimes above 15'000 hours on a single game! Are they only playing games?
I guarantee I have 1000 hours -- and possibly more -- in Birth of the Federation, the original Shogun Total War, and the original Medieval Total War.  Of course, my Steam numbers don't reflect this, as I played the hell out of the latter two games when I was younger, back when I still had physical copies of those games. 

And it probably goes without saying that that's a significant factor:  Most of us don't spend nearly as much time playing games now that we're older. 

About Horizon...i was very surprised to some players having 2'500 and 2'794 hours and still, they give a negative review....what can motivate someone to play a game they don't enjoy?
Maybe for similar reasons that I down-voted Stellaris, despite having played it for over 1500 hours?  I used to enjoy the game, but then the devs f***ed it up on newer iterations.  :( 

In contrast, I enjoy Rome II: Total War.  It was garbage at launch, but thanks to all the updates, it eventually improved to the point that it's now a fun game. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

smittyohio

Quote from: Anguille on June 09, 2020, 03:52:48 AMI find it hard to believe that people have played more than 1'000 on a single game.

I've played over 10,000 hours (gulp) of WoW over the years.   That's... that's really scary.   :-[

MetalDog

^I easily have twice that in Civ IV: Beyond the Sword.  The 2,017 hours is only on Steam and only since Gamespy shut down the online system we were using for MP.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 09, 2020, 09:34:43 AM
^I posted above that TW games also don't log you off once you've exited the game sometimes and keep running in the background.

That might be it, but I did play a lot of Empire when it came out.  I'm sure I put a bunch of time in it, possibly more than other TW games even though it's not my favorite.   

The game that probably has the most "dead" hours that I've played is Hearts of Iron IV.  I'm over 400 hours on that one and I know I kept it minimized at time. 

All the Decisive Campaign games and Operational Art of War IV are also not real hours played.  I play them sometimes in the background while I'm working.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback