Chapter Mercury - "Maleme" Available January 26th POST SCRIPTUM professionalMOD

Started by Destraex, January 25, 2022, 06:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Post Scriptum have gone in an interesting direction. We are getting a CRETE mod, but this mod has full support from the game devs and has been developed as an "integrated mod", so to speak. In other words the developers have basically handed over all responsability and given amazing access to the modders. This mod releases as a full DLC tomorrow as I understand it. The quality of this mod should be outstanding and the advertisement may even guratantee players. Which Post Scriptum has struggled with since it is less of an action game and more of a combined arms simulation with great distances almost impossible to cover on foot. You die without seeing your enemy and you then take 10 minutes to get back to be able to die again. OK, I am being harsh there, if your team does the right thing and parks spawn trucks correctly you are back in it pretty quickly.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/736220/view/3112551456732997491?fbclid=IwAR1BHiQwKd-W33EhyvfDBQXKtUeJg8OZE1bv1Y9kCysv1bB4m7ZvlLUu3TA
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on January 25, 2022, 06:30:43 PM
Post Scriptum have gone in an interesting direction. We are getting a CRETE mod, but this mod has full support from the game devs and has been developed as an "integrated mod", so to speak. In other words the developers have basically handed over all responsability and given amazing access to the modders. This mod releases as a full DLC tomorrow as I understand it. The quality of this mod should be outstanding and the advertisement may even guratantee players. Which Post Scriptum has struggled with since it is less of an action game and more of a combined arms simulation with great distances almost impossible to cover on foot. You die without seeing your enemy and you then take 10 minutes to get back to be able to die again. OK, I am being harsh there, if your team does the right thing and parks spawn trucks correctly you are back in it pretty quickly.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/736220/view/3112551456732997491?fbclid=IwAR1BHiQwKd-W33EhyvfDBQXKtUeJg8OZE1bv1Y9kCysv1bB4m7ZvlLUu3TA

Crete.  Sure I'll go to Crete even if I have to crash my Ju-52, steal a motorcycle and blow the bow off my own boat just to find some kuglewurst.

Destraex

Trailer. Looks surprisingly good. Gliders and Ju52s seem to be there.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

It is fascinating. A scratch force of cobbled together mixed commonwealth forces and Cretans VS an Elite force of German Paratroopers and Mountain Troops in gliders and Air Transports. No heavy kit for the Germans and their paratroopers only carry pistols on landing and trying to get to their weapons crates.

The Germans win of course but take such heavy casualties that the Germans pretty much give up on massed para drops for the rest of the war.

P.S. According to the road map Italians are coming to this mod. I need to read about this battle in more detail as I had little idea about italian involvement.

I own this as well as the osprey book on Crete. So my knowledge is only superficial.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Battle-Crete-Australian-Army-Campaigns-ebook/dp/B08C5LJFKD

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on January 25, 2022, 08:41:50 PM
It is fascinating. A scratch force of cobbled together mixed commonwealth forces and Cretans VS an Elite force of German Paratroopers and Mountain Troops in gliders and Air Transports. No heavy kit for the Germans and their paratroopers only carry pistols on landing and trying to get to their weapons crates.

The Germans win of course but take such heavy casualties that the Germans pretty much give up on massed para drops for the rest of the war.

P.S. According to the road map Italians are coming to this mod. I need to read about this battle in more detail as I had little idea about italian involvement.

I own this as well as the osprey book on Crete. So my knowledge is only superficial.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Battle-Crete-Australian-Army-Campaigns-ebook/dp/B08C5LJFKD

The Italians landed on the eastern end of Crete and had an occupation zone covering the eastern end of the island.

Destraex

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on January 25, 2022, 09:30:57 PM
Was this at the end of the battle or the start?

By the time the Italians were moving across the island, Allied forces were surrendering, evacuating or going into hiding.  The Italians did "link up" with German Mountain Division motorcycle troops, but nobody got hurt.  Interestingly, the Italian zone of Crete avoided the bloody messes such as occurred on Rhodes when Italy surrendered in 1943 and the allies took it over and an informal truce prevailed with the Germans on their end of the island, though, of course, the Germans kept working on their atrocities in their zone while peacefully coexisting with allied troops in the former Italian zone.  Must have been a weird situation in some ways.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 25, 2022, 07:05:12 PM

Crete.  Sure I'll go to Crete even if I have to crash my Ju-52, steal a motorcycle and blow the bow off my own boat just to find some kuglewurst.

It looks good.  Here's the view from the top of Hill 107 looking north.  You can see the eastern end of the airfield at Maleme on the left of the image.  The gnarly old olive trees are pretty cool.