Hex Map Development with Unity

Started by ArizonaTank, July 15, 2021, 11:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Found this very good hex map Unity tutorial.  Very detailed and pretty feature rich.

https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/hex-map/

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Nice find AZ Tank!  I picked up Hex of Steel over the Steam summer sale and it offers the ability to create maps also using the Unity engine.  However it is kind of cumbersome. 

I'll see if the tutorials in the link you gave will help me out. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on July 15, 2021, 03:47:04 PM
Nice find AZ Tank!  I picked up Hex of Steel over the Steam summer sale and it offers the ability to create maps also using the Unity engine.  However it is kind of cumbersome. 

I am seeing games developed in Unity more and more on Steam. Hex of Steel is a good example.

Unity is a very nice game engine, full featured. Basically free until you have significant sales. So for hobbyists, its a dream.

If you take the plunge, would be curious to hear your experience with it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Karri

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 15, 2021, 11:39:36 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 15, 2021, 03:47:04 PM

I am seeing games developed in Unity more and more on Steam. Hex of Steel is a good example.

Unity is a very nice game engine, full featured. Basically free until you have significant sales. So for hobbyists, its a dream.

If you take the plunge, would be curious to hear your experience with it.

I might be good for smaller projects, but it certainly seems to be hitting the wall when it comes to bigger projects. One that recently spoiled my fun was Phoenix Point. Obvious performance issues on bigger maps.