About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

I didn't really read it as insulting. Everyone with any involvement in Afghanistan seems to be sh*tting it right now, except the Taliban. And the whole point of the post, that it's the same damned helicopter, is incredible...outweighing any use of the word 'panic' to me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2021, 04:04:12 PM
I didn't really read it as insulting. Everyone with any involvement in Afghanistan seems to be sh*tting it right now, except the Taliban. And the whole point of the post, that it's the same damned helicopter, is incredible...outweighing any use of the word 'panic' to me.

It's honestly not that surprising to me considering the age of most aircraft in the USMC fleet. I'm more surprised that someone actually compared tail codes
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jejo68

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2021, 04:33:32 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2021, 04:04:12 PM

It's honestly not that surprising to me considering the age of most aircraft in the USMC fleet. I'm more surprised that someone actually compared tail codes

dude its the internet. how can anything surprise you  :)

MikeGER

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 20, 2021, 02:56:02 PM
The opening line is a bit insulting, isn't it?  Especially in light of what the Brits, Frenchies, and Germanz are doing to get their people out of this clusterfuck.

speeking about helicopters...

Germany deploys two H145M LUH SOF (Light Utility Helicopter – Special Operation Forces) to Kabul airport

training picture

i had read in a german language  article that the USA asked for it because their usually larger helicopters are to big to operate for most of Kabul compounds and inside the city pick-ups   

Gusington

^That last picture is the most German thing I have seen this morning.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2021, 09:00:38 AM
^That last picture is the most German thing I have seen this morning.

The shepherd is especially German.

All jokes aside, what a bloody mess.  To anyone that went to Afghanistan or lost anyone, going surely saved someone whether a fellow or an Afghani, or made their lives better at least for a short time.

Sir Slash

Love the Flying Dog approach to warfare. Wonder why it's not an, 'Air-dale'?  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

MOS:96B2P

From Aljazeera: 

Taliban fighters massacred nine ethnic Hazara men after taking control of Afghanistan's Ghazni province last month, Amnesty International has said in a new report.  According to the Amnesty report, six of the men were shot and three were tortured to death, including one man who was strangled with his scarf and had his arm muscles sliced off.  One man, Wahed Qaraman, 45, was taken from his home by Taliban fighters who broke his legs and arms, shot him in the right leg, pulled his hair out, and beat his face with a blunt object, the report said.

MOS:96B2P

From Aljazeera:

A NATO official has said that at least 20 people have died in and around the airport in the past week.

An Afghan security guard has been killed in a firefight between unknown gunmen and Afghan forces at the north gate of Kabul airport, the German military said, as thousands thronged the airport, seeking to flee Taliban rule.

Three more people were injured in the gun battle on Monday morning that has also involved German and US forces, the German military said.

al_infierno

Did anyone seriously entertain the idea that there wouldn't be reprisals the aftermath of a Taliban victory?  It doesn't matter at all what their leadership said for PR, or even if they really, really meant it.  Rabid followers of any flavor will just go ahead and carry out extreme justice on anybody who appears to be tangentially associated with "the enemy," and nobody's going to hold them accountable because they're fighting for "the good guys" and they just got a little carried away.

In my eyes, it's like taking the fence off a sheep pen and then getting surprised when wolves come in for the slaughter.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Ive still not heard of any American or European people getting killed.
hope it stays that way.  :bd:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Ubercat

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2021, 05:48:29 PM
Ive still not heard of any American or European people getting killed.
hope it stays that way.  :bd:

You fishing?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell