Main Menu

Feedback on GARPA!

Started by bayonetbrant, September 13, 2012, 01:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Happy birthday GARPA! :D

BTW OSS look an interesting game company. No Trumpets, No Drums sounds fun multiplayer. 8)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

^+1

I seem to remember an old WWW mag game by that name, many moons ago?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on August 02, 2014, 05:46:09 AM
^+1

I seem to remember an old WWW mag game by that name, many moons ago?

It was from The Wargamer magazine back in '82; it's a broad remake of that game
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Interesting. It was quite a good game if I recall. Thanks, Brant.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

bob48

Very interested in the 1870 game - I see that Compass Games have one on the list for next year as well.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

Compass has a bunch of interesting things on the horizon.  Unfortunately, they won't return any of the emails I've sent them about review copies, interviews, previews, anything.

bayonetbrant

Last GARPA of the Summer!  Get it while it's still hot!

Boggit

Some good stuff there. Clockwork Wars, and Konigsberg 45 look like good candidates for a port to the PC/Mac. Konigsburg 45 looks like a simplified version of an old favourite - To the Wolf's Lair - by Peoples Wargames (not that I've played it for years, but still a very good operational level wargame).
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

Quote from: Boggit on August 30, 2014, 06:18:55 AM
Some good stuff there. Clockwork Wars, and Konigsberg 45 look like good candidates for a port to the PC/Mac. Konigsburg 45 looks like a simplified version of an old favourite - To the Wolf's Lair - by Peoples Wargames (not that I've played it for years, but still a very good operational level wargame).

That made me think of all the hours I spent playing 'Korsun Pocket' back in the day  ;)

'Clip those corners'

Boggit

Quote from: bob48 on August 30, 2014, 06:37:14 AM
Quote from: Boggit on August 30, 2014, 06:18:55 AM

That made me think of all the hours I spent playing 'Korsun Pocket' back in the day  ;)
They did some good games as I recall. I bought Black Sea, Black Death, Aachen, and To the Wolf's Lair - all good stuff. IIRC they're all Jack Radey games - a bit complex, but definitely more detail in the combat than you get in most boardgames at the scale. Whilst sometimes heavy going, there is no doubt for me that the attention to detail made up for that in large part. The games were also VERY well researched. The big downer was ever finding a local opponent who wanted to play them. :( BTW, I don't know if anyone's noticed but in all of the HOI games - don't know about HOI4 - there is no beach to land at Novorossiysk - which is the whole point of the land/sea operation modelled in Black Sea, Black Death.

OT - the future President Brezhnev fought in the battle at the Malya Zemlya (tr. the little land) - it was the diversionary landing, the main effort was a disaster, and eventually it became the main amphibious event. IIRC it was eventually relieved a couple of months later, and has the dubious fame of having had more explosive fired in anger into it's toehold per square metre, than in any other action on the Eastern front - scary when you think about battles like Stalingrad, Leningrad, Warsaw and Buda-Pest :o.

bayonetbrant

Fresh GARPA - your wallet has been warned :)

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

If it's Friday and you're GARPA clap your hands!

CLAP-CLAP!