Total war pharaoh - coming October

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 23, 2023, 04:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Oh and when models are not racing around they look like they are moving in slow motion. By that I mean the animation is drawn to show a man running for instance, but then that animation is slowed down so much that it looks un-natural. Because gravity should have dropped the soldier models leg to the ground but it hangs in the air for an eternity.

Men also fling their weapons around like they are weightless. Watch how fast spearmen for instance with one hand change from holding a spear upright while walking to spinning it around or moving it to the horizontal. It's instant and looks like the spear must be made of plastic. The physics in modern total war games are just very strange. It's like the devs are just making weapons and gluing them to the soldiers hands and the soldiers have no idea they are carrying anything, so they walk around waving and running without noticing they have a big heavy weapon in hand.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Centurion: Defender of Rome was such a great game, one of my favorites and so ahead of its time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 04, 2023, 10:16:47 AMSome siege warfare, seems interesting although chaotic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye72q6PakgM&t=1339s

No worse than your average total war.  i think I've bought most of them.  This one has a fun end-of the Bronze Age angle since it looks like the "Sea Peoples" are in the game.

I suspect I'll get it sooner or later.

JasonPratt

I'm not gonna demand that some Sea People units be Goliath-style giants.  :cool:

But I wouldn't complain about a fantasy option either in the vein of Troy and 3K.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 11, 2023, 12:13:57 PMI'm not gonna demand that some Sea People units be Goliath-style giants.  :cool:

But I wouldn't complain about a fantasy option either in the vein of Troy and 3K.
Historically though I believe they were actually taller\bigger than the local populations. So it would be nice if they did include this as part of the art style and then build the physics of longer reach in.

JasonPratt

True, but I haven't played TW seriously in so long I don't know whether the code allows for physical reach differences as a factor aside from special unit 'species' so to speak.

Stronger units should at least be better able to carry better armor and longer-reaching heavier weapons, though (in classic Goliath style) -- which seems well within the code capabilities.

(And then get stunned by shorter quicker less-armored slingers. {g} )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

More comementary from the Terminator on the CA demonstration video:

Grim.Reaper

Kind of interesting that you can choose to be a conqueror or even choose other things like being a builder and trader.  Also appears the campaign allows for many customizations to play how you want.  I know this likely will turn into like all the past titles and not a lot of people liking it, but I pre ordered anyway:). Out October 11th but they are having some kind of early play end of September for people who pre order.

https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-pharaoh-will-let-you-emulate-the-great-deeds-of-ancient-kings/

Destraex

What dynastic era in Egyptian history is this game covering?

Gusington

New Kingdom, I think...circa 1100 BC and the coming of the 'sea peoples.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I imagine you start with this guy then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_II

Gusington

A bunch of updates have been released in the last few days. I am not particularly interested in this era so I have not been paying much attention.

If it was 'Total War: Mamluk' they would have my money already.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I know a lot of people seem disappointed with the era because limited unit types, but thinking I might actually like that to keep things manageable as other games in the series I often find it difficult to manage all the different types.  Who knows, probably will become shelf ware for me but going to give it a try:)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd