Total war pharaoh - coming October

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 23, 2023, 04:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

If only it was like this, smooth animation and you can make the detail out at range... 45 seconds
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Man, Mount & Blade mods keep looking better all the time!  :Nerd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Not going to do any kind of detail review, nor compare to all the past versions or features people want, just some feedback from a gamer who enjoys the series for what it is.

I didn't play the recent releases extensively so these things could have been there, but just some things I like so far.  When you start a campaign, you have a ton of options to customize the experience, which is awesome for a gamer like me who isn't great at these things.  It allows me to get benefits where I want them so I can feel like I am capable of competing with the AI.  I can get more income, troops, etc., really like what they did here.  Within the game, I really like the UI as well since all the information is given to you and easily to see it right away.  On top of that, they have sort of a turn checklist where before you hit the end of turn button, it lists all the things you should have considered doing before ending your turn.  In the past, I always felt I wass missing things each turn, now its a nice checklist to go through before I hit the button.  Graphics wise, totally looks fine to me both on the campaign map and within the battles, really no complaints.

As for battles, really like them as well as they are much slower paced then what I recalled from the past.  I am sure part of this is because of the time period where it was probably more of a grind, but I like the fact the battles aren't over in a minute.  No idea if the AI is better or not simply because I was never good at them anyways, but so far I have lost more battles than I have won, including even when I had superior forces.

So far only a couple of negatives for me.  First, my computer has hard crashed multiple times while playing, simply shuts down and restarts entire computer.  Seems like others having the issue as well and certainly this could be a big problem if they don't resolve.  Lastly, I have multiple monitors setup and edge scrolling on the side of my second monitor is wonky, some time it works, others it doesn't.  Not a game killer but certainly wish it was better.

Not going to try and convince anyone to buy it or not but I have been pleasantly surprised and have enjoyed it.  Also seems to be more positive posts than I thought it would get in various forums, but of course your milage may very.

Jarhead0331

What is the time period and what factions other than Egyptian are playable?

Is early access only for the weekend or do you have access up through release?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2023, 10:15:22 AMWhat is the time period and what factions other than Egyptian are playable?

Just until tomorrow at 8am.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Old TImer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2023, 10:15:22 AMWhat is the time period and what factions other than Egyptian are playable?

The game is during the The New Kingdom (1550–1077 BCE) covering the 18th, 19th and the 20th dynasties of Egypt.  You can play as one of 4 Egyptian rulers, 2 Canaanite rulers or 2 Hittite rulers. 

I'm trying it out because I'm very interested in the setting and there are too few games giving the era it's due.  I don't think based on admittedly limited play that it's all that different from Rome 2 or 3 Kingdoms.  I've gone from a day 1 buy to undecided.
Maybe wait for a sale.

Gusington

From Grim's description above it does sound similar to Three Kingdoms in some ways, which would be a good thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Old TImer

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2023, 03:03:11 PMFrom Grim's description above it does sound similar to Three Kingdoms in some ways, which would be a good thing.

I thought the same thing while playing it.  But I already own Three Kingdoms....
Maybe I was hoping for too much.  I really  dislike how they've structured the "tech tree".
It's confusing.  Who am I kidding?  I'm an Egyptian history fan boy and I'll never be able to resist. 

Grim.Reaper

At least for me, I didn't get the same vibe as Rome 2, at least what I recalled.  Didn't think Rome 2 had all the customizations, UI didn't seem as good with presenting info, and the battles I recall were pretty fast pace.  Not saying Pharaoh is better or worse, just saying I didn't get the same vibe but as with anything, everyone will have their own opinions.  I'll have to reinstall Rome 2 just to see if my memory is any good.

Gusington

How about when compared to Three Kingdoms?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2023, 03:16:35 PMHow about when compared to Three Kingdoms?

Didn't play it much so can't compare, nor Troy or Warhammer.  Rome 2 was the last game before this that I put in any serious time.

JasonPratt

Heh, I like that it's effectively the sequel to Pre-Dynastic Egypt and Egypt: Old Kingdom (which I've been playing through again in anticipation of the new released.)

...well, come to think of it, there should be another dynastic set between E:OK and Ph:TW, but still. I'm interested in the setting, so!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^There's also a DLC for Old World coming out Wednesday covering Egypt in the same time period.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Old TImer

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 02, 2023, 03:32:32 PMHeh, I like that it's effectively the sequel to Pre-Dynastic Egypt and Egypt: Old Kingdom (which I've been playing through again in anticipation of the new released.)

...well, come to think of it, there should be another dynastic set between E:OK and Ph:TW, but still. I'm interested in the setting, so!

Are you talking about a mod?  For which game?