Star Trek grand strategy game

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 08, 2023, 05:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

What a shame. Couldn't they find anyone else to do it?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on June 08, 2023, 05:27:51 PMWhat a shame. Couldn't they find anyone else to do it?

They're just publishing it. What's the problem?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

Star Wars > Star Trek

just saying  :knuppel2:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Well, it is Paradox.  There's a good chance they'll release a patch that converts the whole thing into Battle Beyond the Stars 2 years into the game update cycle.

I'll stick with the New Horizons mod for Stellaris.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

Well i am very very happy. This will be the first official Star Trek Strategy game since Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. I just hope they don't use starlanes. Other than that, i am very excited!

From the last image on the video, i am pretty sure it's based on the Stellaris engine.

Destraex

I hope the setting stops at Voyager. That's where the timeline ends for me.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sigwolf

Damnit, I usually wait for Paradox games to be several years old so I can get the game and DLC at a reasonable price... I may have to forgo that practice and get the base game early this time.

Destraex

Looks pretty interesting actually. Assuming it is multiplayer.

Lowenstaat

The Steam page for Star Trek: Infinite lists a single player game mode and online PvP.

The developer of Star Trek: Infinite is Nimble Giant Entertainment who previously developed the following games:
Bunch of Heroes
Champions of Regnum
Quantum League

Interestingly, Paradox also announced a new Stellaris short form turn based game called Stellaris Nexus. It will feature single player mode, online PvP, and online Co-op. Its developer is Whatboy Games who previously developed Trials of Fire.

Back in 2019, Paradox announced Stellaris: Galaxy Command for iOS and Android. I wonder if Star Trek: Infinite and Stellaris Nexus will share some of the same features of Stellaris: Galaxy Command?
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

SirAndrewD

First previews makes this look a bit too much like Stellaris for me.  I was never fond of that game. 

Also a bit disappointed that they're making it look like you start in the Next Gen era.  I would've liked to see a tech progression from Enterprise through TNG and end game tech from Next Generation Season 8 Picard Season 3. 

Hopefully just seeing some early snippets.

I'm going to wait and see what it's like on release.  I'm not going to spend on a paid mod for Stellaris.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 17, 2023, 01:21:49 PMFirst previews makes this look a bit too much like Stellaris for me.  I was never fond of that game. 

Also a bit disappointed that they're making it look like you start in the Next Gen era.  I would've liked to see a tech progression from Enterprise through TNG and end game tech from Next Generation Season 8 Picard Season 3. 

Hopefully just seeing some early snippets.

I'm going to wait and see what it's like on release.  I'm not going to spend on a paid mod for Stellaris.

I think it's a real shame when people shun new games because they are basically professionally done mods of a previous game. The reason I think this is because it encourages developers either to think professional versions of subject matter they may have been thinking of doing before they even released the original game not to bother OR it encourages game devs not to support modding to allow them freedom to release whatever content they want.

Personally I am no longer a fan of mods because I got sick of them breaking every time the base game got updated and I got sick of waiting for mods to be feature complete or being abandoned. You also get varying quality with mods and all the limitations modders have to "mod" usually due to lack of access to the game engine and dev tools.

The last point because I am more paranoid these days is the more distinct possibility for other programs to be hidden in mods created by random people. I think their was some sort of scandal recently in this regard that turned out to be nothing.

I'd much prefer a professional version and would pay for professional versions of mods. I have done so in the past with games like red orchestra 2 which was the result in fact of some modders winning a modding contest and then getting funded to develop RO2 iirc.

With regard to the next gen era. I am thanking my lucky stars as the 1987-2005 tv series is the sweet spot for me when it comes to star trek. I don't mind the original series and the new alternate timeline movies are OK if not really star trek, but the post 2005 tv series just lost me.

SirAndrewD

I wouldn't shun it because it's purely a professionally done mod. 

I am dubious about it because it looks like the mods for Stellaris might be more what I would want from Star Trek Stellaris than this seems to be on first and way too early look.

Why would I buy a professionally done Star Trek Stellaris game, if I actually prefer the mods for a game I've already bought?

I'm not going to if that's what it is.

I may admittedly be in a minority, but I didn't really care a ton for Stellaris and was hoping that this being by different developers would take a fresh take. 

Hence, I'll take a wait and see. 

And feeling a bit dubious about the game heavily oriented towards the TNG era has nothing to do with what era of Star Trek I like best, I simply would like a game set in the Star Trek timeline to have changing tech in different eras.  Starting with the ships from Enterprise and progressing to the Enterprise D, to me, would me more satisfying than beginning in the early days of the Star Trek timeline with Next Gen ships making first contact.

You know, like the Star Trek mods for Stellaris. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback