Consolidated War Cabinet thread

Started by CosPetia, May 28, 2014, 03:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabius

Quote from: CosPetia on July 28, 2014, 02:39:36 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 28, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
Quote from: CosPetia on July 28, 2014, 09:00:24 AM
1. So will battalions track manpower and vehicles or have abstracted strength measure?

Measurement will be by overall strength of the unit. It's not exactly an abstract value, because it will be based on unit type and vastly influenced by the current equipment quality per battalion.
Otherwise we risk putting messy mechanics where we calculate how many soldiers, jeeps, mortars, APCs, etc per each unit after each battle. It's better to combine it in a single value and use this as a baseline for the damage system.

2. Will units combine or stack to give combined arms bonuses? eg infantry and tanks combined being much better than the sum of their units.

Combined arms bonus will not be granted just for close proximity of the units.
By essence each battalion is a healthy mix of units. For example tank battalion is not consists of tanks only, but also have mechanized infantry companies, fire support squad, AA section, etc.
However, deploying the right units close together would bring huge benefits while executing different tactics. Eg better to assault/defend town with infantry rather than tanks.

Thanks for answering.

1. Abstracted Strength: Out of 10 out of 100 or what? I can understand you going with a baseline to do the calculations.

2. Battalions are mixed in RL. So how will this be shown in the game? Because what tends to happen is a Tank Unit strength 10 say can just start to look and feel like tanks alone.
1. Abstracted Strength: Out of 10 out of 100 or what? I can understand you going with a baseline to do the calculations.

Let's work with example: Base infantry battalion equipped with only Assault Rifle, MGs, Light AT and transport all at level 1 have 100 strength. You add Heavy AT and Anti-Air section and the strength is up to 120 along with the combats stats increase of that unit.

2.    Battalions are mixed in RL. So how will this be shown in the game? Because what tends to happen is a Tank Unit strength 10 say can just start to look and feel like tanks alone

Units within battalion will be displayed in great details into unit purchase/training screen. Here you will be able to see all details about unit composition. However, on the map screen tank battalion still will be a tank. It could be very confusing for the players to represent tank battalion by several mini units combined in one placeholder. It's tempting to implement such untraditional approach, but we risk to create much more frustration than fun.

Wow- nearly spilt my coffee!!

That sounds very good indeed- just the sort of system that really helps immerse me into seeing Units as actual units. Very glad that you've explained that, thank you.

So will we be able to dig into the glorious unit details on map to see damage taken?

And amend the make up of units during the campaign?

CosPetia

Quote from: fabius on July 28, 2014, 02:59:22 PM
Quote from: CosPetia on July 28, 2014, 02:39:36 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 28, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
Quote from: CosPetia on July 28, 2014, 09:00:24 AM
1. So will battalions track manpower and vehicles or have abstracted strength measure?

Measurement will be by overall strength of the unit. It's not exactly an abstract value, because it will be based on unit type and vastly influenced by the current equipment quality per battalion.
Otherwise we risk putting messy mechanics where we calculate how many soldiers, jeeps, mortars, APCs, etc per each unit after each battle. It's better to combine it in a single value and use this as a baseline for the damage system.

2. Will units combine or stack to give combined arms bonuses? eg infantry and tanks combined being much better than the sum of their units.

Combined arms bonus will not be granted just for close proximity of the units.
By essence each battalion is a healthy mix of units. For example tank battalion is not consists of tanks only, but also have mechanized infantry companies, fire support squad, AA section, etc.
However, deploying the right units close together would bring huge benefits while executing different tactics. Eg better to assault/defend town with infantry rather than tanks.

Thanks for answering.

2. Battalions are mixed in RL. So how will this be shown in the game? Because what tends to happen is a Tank Unit strength 10 say can just start to look and feel like tanks alone.

Let's work with example: Base infantry battalion equipped with only Assault Rifle, MGs, Light AT and transport all at level 1 have 100 strength. You add Heavy AT and Anti-Air section and the strength is up to 120 along with the combats stats increase of that unit.

2.    Battalions are mixed in RL. So how will this be shown in the game? Because what tends to happen is a Tank Unit strength 10 say can just start to look and feel like tanks alone

Units within battalion will be displayed in great details into unit purchase/training screen. Here you will be able to see all details about unit composition. However, on the map screen tank battalion still will be a tank. It could be very confusing for the players to represent tank battalion by several mini units combined in one placeholder. It's tempting to implement such untraditional approach, but we risk to create much more frustration than fun.

Wow- nearly spilt my coffee!!

That sounds very good indeed- just the sort of system that really helps immerse me into seeing Units as actual units. Very glad that you've explained that, thank you.

So will we be able to dig into the glorious unit details on map to see damage taken?

On the tactical map there will strength/health bar for the units. Now sure what kind of digging you refer to? Zooming will be available, but it's still will be a single unit.
Damage modeling is under consideration, but could not be committed at this stage. 

Yes, if you are willing to sacrifice unit availability for X days for re-equipment.

Boggit

Sounds interesting. 8) Do units have hard/soft values representing their vulnerability to different kinds of fire? Obviously a composite tank unit will take more damage from "hard" target fire, but "soft" target fire will affect not only strength, but also unit awareness, especially in low visibility areas like towns, or woods. Is that represented?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

CosPetia

Another screenshot of BTR-60PB side view.

Share your comments.

CosPetia

Quote from: Boggit on July 29, 2014, 04:00:39 PM
Sounds interesting. 8) Do units have hard/soft values representing their vulnerability to different kinds of fire? Obviously a composite tank unit will take more damage from "hard" target fire, but "soft" target fire will affect not only strength, but also unit awareness, especially in low visibility areas like towns, or woods. Is that represented?

I could give you а small hint.

CosPetia

Hi guys,

We are happy to share with you the design of the Strategic Map.This is the place to get the overview of the war theater.
Here you plan and perform movements, deployment, reinforcements and air operations.You also get information and filter display of strategic objects like barracks, factories, supply depots, SAM sites, EWR stations, cities, villages, etc.
Weathear report will guide you about combat operations in different atmospheric  conditions.

What do you think about it? Share your comments.

If you want to see a full-size screenshot:http://www.warcabinet.net/gallery/pre-alpha-screenshots/

fabius

Looking very nice. The things that really pump my interest are game design based:

Unit Ledger will be useful, and nice to see airlift, logistics and recon in there.

That you are designing a specific air planning mechanic.

That things like factories SAM sites etc will be strategic objectives.

That regions can have a "contested" status.

Minor issue- not so keen on the colour- would much prefer a map like appearance.

CosPetia

Quote from: fabius on August 11, 2014, 08:10:04 AM
Looking very nice. The things that really pump my interest are game design based:

Unit Ledger will be useful, and nice to see airlift, logistics and recon in there.

That you are designing a specific air planning mechanic.

That things like factories SAM sites etc will be strategic objectives.

That regions can have a "contested" status.

Minor issue- not so keen on the colour- would much prefer a map like appearance.

Thank you for your comments. Will have them in mind :)

CosPetia

Hi friends,

Supply and logistics have been playing important role in every war since ancient times.

As a general rule if you want to win a war there should be couple of things present. One of them is strong supply and logistics. This involves huge volume of manpower, equipment, fuel, food infrastructure consideration and serious planning.  Without it even mightiest army is becoming helpless mass of people and equipment.

They all had to be moved usually between great distances from the homeland into the campaigning theaters. The fighting front is where the links in the supply chains end.

In the end it doesn't matter if it is a real war or just a strategy war game the rules remain the same. That is why we believe that any serious war strategy game should consider including this key element. We will.

In this regard we would like to share with you one piece of equipment suit for the task. This is the Ural fuel tanker 375D, which can be quickly and accurately allocated to supply the battle front.  The Ural-375D is a general purpose 4.5 ton 6x6 truck, produced at the Ural Automotive Plant in the Russian SFSR since 1961. The ZIL-157 was the standard Soviet truck until it was replaced by the Ural-375D, which became the standard Soviet truck in 1979. The Ural-375D was soon replaced by the Ural-4320. The Soviets also found the trucks an ideal platform for the BM-21 Grad rocket launcher. Other modes for the Ural-375D included troop carrier, supply carrier, etc.

So please take a close look at it and tell us what you think.

CosPetia

Dear friends,
War Cabinet game added its Game economy as part of the development process.
We believe that one of the main elements of the economy are the resources types, availability and specific purposes. We plan to have 7 main pillars of our war economy.
If you want to read more please visit: http://www.warcabinet.net/war-cabinet-game-economy-was-added/#more-526

CosPetia

War Cabinet frontline battle machines were added

Dear friends,

We would like to present a game scene with House of Green equipment showing some of the frontline battle machines.
The whole news is here:http://www.warcabinet.net/war-cabinet-frontline-battle-machines/#more-545
Having such equipment on hand what would be your strategy? How you would use these frontline assets to win battles? Would you need any other equipment to enter combat?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: CosPetia on September 26, 2014, 08:28:35 AM
Having such equipment on hand what would be your strategy? How you would use these frontline assets to win battles? Would you need any other equipment to enter combat?

My strategy has nothing to do with equipment until I know what I'm trying to accomplish.  Am I repelling an invasion, or conquering territory?  Who am I fighting? How am I fighting?  It may be that the frontline assets are completely irrelevant to the battles I'm trying to win when we haven't even fully explained and shaped the conflict yet.  I've got a bunch of new toys - cool!  How to I train my guys to use them effectively?  What about DOTMPLF?  How do I support them?  Am I building them myself (raw material needs) or importing them (keep my benefactor happy and trade routes open)?

There are so many unknowns in the question that it's hard to begin to answer.  It's like asking "how do you solve a math problem?"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

CosPetia

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 26, 2014, 10:49:39 AM
Quote from: CosPetia on September 26, 2014, 08:28:35 AM

My strategy has nothing to do with equipment until I know what I'm trying to accomplish.  Am I repelling an invasion, or conquering territory?  Who am I fighting? How am I fighting?  It may be that the frontline assets are completely irrelevant to the battles I'm trying to win when we haven't even fully explained and shaped the conflict yet.  I've got a bunch of new toys - cool!  How to I train my guys to use them effectively?  What about DOTMPLF?  How do I support them?  Am I building them myself (raw material needs) or importing them (keep my benefactor happy and trade routes open)?

There are so many unknowns in the question that it's hard to begin to answer.  It's like asking "how do you solve a math problem?"

Hey, Thanks for your questions. All of them are very relevant. Here is my brief answer:

During the game campaign you will conduct both offensive and defensive actions depending on the tactical situation.
In most of the cases you will encounter enemy with relatively equal strength and equipment quality.
Training of the battle units will require resources, time and command staff. Equipment will be imported, but not manufactured.
Warfare economy, leadership and officers will pay a key role in conducting effective war. Regarding doctrine and tactics it's up to the player to determine what is the best course of action.
The generic question was: What are critical unit types in order to have highly efficient fighting force.  I'm sure that you came up with much more than just armor, mechanized and logistic :) However, if you have only these available what kind of mission is best fit for them? 

Hope this gives some info, but if you need to know more, please drop me a note or just PM me. I will be more than happy to continue our discussion :)

CosPetia

The BMP-2 was added to the War Cabinet military equipment.

The BMP-2 (Boyevaya Mashina Pekhoty, Russian: Боевая Машина Пехоты; infantry combat vehicle) is a second-generation, amphibious infantry fighting vehicle introduced in the 1980s in the Soviet Union, following on from the BMP-1 of the 1960s. Full description here:http://www.warcabinet.net/the-bmp-2-was-added-at-gallery-section/#more-563

Share your thoughts and comments.

CosPetia

M113 APC – New combat vehicle added to the House of Orange

Dear friends,

In order to win battles the modern battlefield commanders would need highly mobile manpower, which can turn the tide in the most crucial situations. Armor protected vehicles are preferred choice to do this while operating near the enemy. That is why we added M113 – Armored Personnel Carrier to the War Cabinet military equipment to serve into the House of Orange forces. With this new addition to game’s Military Park we are confident that your soldiers will yield the benefits of the mechanized warfare.

More about M113 - APC can be found here:http://www.warcabinet.net/m113-apc-new-combat-vehicle-added-to-the-house-of-orange/#more-572

Please share your thoughts and opinion.