We are living in a computer gaming golden age

Started by Toonces, September 30, 2014, 01:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on September 30, 2014, 04:01:23 PM
Generally, I agree with Toonces as well.  I do sometimes wonder if in the current times we're seeing an example of quantity trumping quality, but overall I'd say he's correct. 

Quote from: MengJiao on September 30, 2014, 08:41:30 AM
About 6 years ago I was probably averaging 3 hours a week-day night and 6 hours on the week-ends.  That's far too much. 
That's crazy talk!!  :o

Well, maybe.  I do seem to approach things a bit differently than the average Groghead.  For example, I'd much rather fly the MIG21bis as it is in DCS world than have an immersive campaign with a less interesting aircraft or a less complete simulation.  After over 30 years of computer games immersion means nothing to me.  I want some kind of approach to some kind of cinematic realism with a minimum of fuss.  I can work out my own narrative space if the game can give me some stuff and an editor.

So for me, games like DCS world and RoF and BoS are moving in the right direction.

I suppose I have some inconsistent responses -- I think Rome II and the coming Attila are brilliant in their evocation of another world (with some resemblance to what we know of actual history) and I suppose I mean some kind of immersive engagement.  I always fondly recall the moment when my normal Parthians dismounted their Persian mercenary cavalry to form a spear wall.  But I think of it in the 3rd person -- like a movie that I helped write and direct, but not something I directly witnessed as a real event.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on October 01, 2014, 06:51:29 AM
Quote from: Toonces on September 30, 2014, 09:21:32 PM
  The only glaring exception to gaming where I feel that we've taken some sort of step backwards is in combat flight simming.  The up and coming flight sims all seem to be skimping on gameplay at the expense of systems fidelity, graphics, or just plain laziness.  Or all three.  And there really aren't a lot of new flight sims up and coming...the market is slowly coalescing around a few: ED, 777, a handful of others. 

Completely agree regarding flight sims.  They're the only oddball genre that has gone backwards in gameplay variety & options. 

I'm pretty sure WOFF is the only flight sim I've purchased that was built with a good campaign system in.. 15 years IIRC.  At least ROF has a "Beta" dynamic campaign although it still falls short on results.  We've lost these great immersive experiences in exchange for what?  Pushing buttons with our mouse?  The trade-off isn't worth it.

Agreed, but WOFF is really the one gem out there among a sea of mediocrity. Not only does it have a fantastic dynamic campaign, but its AI is the only AI I've ever seen, which does not automatically attack immediately, and then fight to the death. The AI pilots actually try to disengage when things aren't going their way. And sometimes you and your flight can pass an enemy flight without either side attacking. It depends on whether the AI leader believes the situation is favorable to engaging. Simply amazing! 

The DCS games are interesting, but they remind me of the old Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, in that there is not much to do in them except fly around and fight within a limited area.

RooksBailey

Hey Toonces, I went back and looked at your list and was surprised how we are largely in agreement on some of the titles and genres:

Quote from: Toonces on September 30, 2014, 01:19:11 AMSome of these games are so good, and have so many hours of potential gaming in them, that there is no way to see and appreciate everything.

Some examples:

- The Total War series:  I have all of the Total War games.  Sadly I have been unable to keep up with all of the DLC.  But that's ok because the primary reason is that I simply haven't been able to play all of them.  Even until recently I was still mucking around in M2TW- my favorite- leaving Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2, and Rome 2 to explore.  I did boot up Shogun 2 the other day and I am just blown away by the whole experience.  The added depth...the graphics...the atmosphere...coming off M2TW it is just remarkable. 

- Crusader Kings 2:  Unbelievably replayable.  With all of the hundreds of years in which to start, combined with the astounding number of rulers you can play as, this game could take a lifetime to fully explore all by itself.

- Scourge of War series:  As a Civil War gamer, this is about the ultimate experience.  Real time, selectable levels of command, courier system, with a sandbox mode allowing one to replay this one infinitely. 

- Elite: Dangerous:  A galaxy worth of space to explore, with players worldwide.  A living, breathing economy influenced by players.  An epic space odyssey MMO experience.  I can see this sucking up hundreds to thousands of gaming hours.

- Role Playing Games: Between the new RPGs coming out every other day, how can one keep up with them unless it's at the expense of every other type of gaming?  I've got a hundred hours sunk into Morrowind and I'm not even 1/3 through!  And then there's still the Dragon Age series, the Witcher series, the Fallout series...and so on.  And that's single player...the MMO world opens up a whole new experience and time sink.

- Flight sims:  Perhaps the weak sister of the bunch, I would argue that flight sims have become technically better but have perhaps regressed somewhat backwards in gameplay.  I'm looking at you, DCS and Battle of Stalingrad!  Wings over Flanders Field is a notable exception.  On the civilian front, though, companies like PMDG and others continue to crank out aircraft that are almost good enough (or actually are good enough) to train for their real-world counterpart.  They certainly look amazing, and the detail is outstanding.  And, the hardware exists to pimp out a home cockpit as real as you can afford.

I completely agree with CK2 - in my opinion, that might be one of the finest games ever made.  Thirty years from now I have no doubt that the next gen of gamers will still be downloading it from GOG.   :)

While I haven't jumped on the Elite bandwagon yet, if the game maintains its trajectory, I do think it will be a - pardon the pun - game changer. 

Scourge of War: yes!  One of the best ACW games ever made (it was an honorable mention on one of my lists of the best games from the last few years).  In some ways, I find it superior to the combat found in any Total War game.   Fantastic wargame.  However, while I am glad to see SoW 2 is being developed, I am disappointed it is leaving the ACW behind for Napoleon. 

Other recent bright spots of gaming for me:

AI War:  one of the most innovative and endlessly engaging and challenging 4X games I have ever played.

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion:  getting a bit long in the tooth now, and I am disappointed that Ironclad has virtually disappeared, but it still is a fantastic and gorgeous RTS 4X title.

Frozen Synapse:  Infinite tactical combat in a WEGO environment.  And the best soundtrack ever.

Fallout 3:  I finally returned to this game and finished it.  All in all, a completely excellent game.  Now I need to try New Vegas.

Skyrim:While I haven't found myself as addicted to this game as seemingly half the net is  :) I do think it is a landmark title.

Those are my "new classics".   Again, not too many considering my list spans six years. 

I will also say that I think one of the areas where there is a feast rather than a famine is the world of Free 2 Play games.  I know a lot of gamers automatically dismiss this genre but I never understood why.  I have found some fantastic gameplay value in these games that  are...well, free to play!  Hawken still holds the #1 spot for the best mech game I ever played (sadly, though, it looks like Adhesive has disbanded, leaving the future of the game in doubt :'(  ).  World of Tanks and War Thunder are both solid titles.  Ghost Recon Online is also a solid and polished third-person shooter.  Hearthstone is a fantastic card game.  Lord of the Rings Online (and Rift and many more) offer solid and entertaining RPG experiences.  Team Fortress 2 is the best wacky fun you can have in a shooter.  I've played all those titles for many hours and I think I probably only spent $50 combined on all of them!   

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Huw the Poo

Quote from: RooksBailey on October 01, 2014, 03:46:58 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion:  getting a bit long in the tooth now, and I am disappointed that Ironclad has virtually disappeared, but it still is a fantastic and gorgeous RTS 4X title.

Ironclad are working on Sins of a Dark Age which is a MOBA.  Development is painfully slow, and frankly I think they're going to miss the boat.  I'm in the beta and never found a single active game to play in. :(

QuoteI will also say that I think one of the areas where there is a feast rather than a famine is the world of Free 2 Play games.

In my opinion if you look at the entirety of the F2P market it's actually the other way around - far more shit than sugar.  However it is a good point.  I like the F2P model when it's done well.  I played Dota 2 for a year and was quite happy to spend money on it even though it didn't confer the slightest gameplay advantage.  Same goes for Rift, which you mentioned.

OJsDad

One of the great things about computer gaming today, is the free development software that is available.  If you cannot find what you want, then you can try and build it yourself.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

There are many more reasons than just that, but, that is as fine a reason as any to watch :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TacticalWargames

There have been some great games out over the years.. whether it's a golden age..who knows, only time will tell.