We are living in a computer gaming golden age

Started by Toonces, September 30, 2014, 01:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

It's only recently that I didn't find myself waiting for many months on one or two games, having almost nothing new & interesting in between.  I recall visiting Gamestops for long periods of time, wanting a good new game, and only finding shitty filler.  Things have changed for the better, overall.

Now there is usually something interesting coming out every month.  Often multiple ones. 

While there is a huge amount of crap coming out, there is also a much larger amount of good ones too.  Glad it's not such a gaming famine anymore.

mikeck

I credit digital download services like steam. This allows smaller developers to get their games out to a wider audience without having to rely on a big publisher. Also allows developers to raise money via early access. People who create the games can see a bigger chunk of the profit than when they relied on publishers and brick n mortar shops. More $ = more people creating
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

Quote from: LongBlade on September 30, 2014, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: airboy on September 30, 2014, 04:26:47 PM
Yet, there are email games all the time for strategy and wargames that many readers here enjoy all of the time.  I'll join them once I retire and my schedule becomes more predictable.

PBEM (play by email) games are wonderful because you don't have to have a predictable schedule. All you need is an opponent who understands and agrees to whatever turnaround time you have :)

you should try been late on a ProN turn when SDR wants his Russia fix

ArizonaTank

I agree now is a great time for PC games.  For all the reasons mentioned.  Also, the game development tools have never been better or cheaper. 

But I also wonder if PC gaming is at it's zenith.  Will development for other platforms (like iOS platforms) slowly water down the choices we have on PC?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 30, 2014, 05:29:20 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on September 30, 2014, 05:00:03 PM
Even the reputable Alan Park of Arcen has yet to produce a demo for The Last Federation.

Sorry, but...Chris Park. :)

Oh, I meant his brother, Alan.   ;D

Good catch.  For some reason the "A" in Arcen always makes me write Alan instead of Chris.   :D  Just the way my messy mind works.   :uglystupid2:

QuoteI can't believe there's no demo though!  I wonder what the reason for that is - normally Arcen's games always have demos.

I am surprised, too.  Especially seeing how TLF is getting good reviews.  I suspect he is waiting to add more content before releasing a demo.  Best foot forward and all that. 

Quote from: NefaroNow there is usually something interesting coming out every month.  Often multiple ones. 

While there is a huge amount of crap coming out, there is also a much larger amount of good ones too.  Glad it's not such a gaming famine anymore.

My famine continues.   :(  But to be fair, I think it has to do with personal preference.  I am no longer inclined to jump from genre to genre as much as I used to.  Nowadays I am more likely to explore a shrinking circle of topics - really, mostly sci-fi, cyberpunk, shooters, and TBS games.  While we have seen a bunch of titles released in those genres (well, except for cyberpunk and TBS), most were forgettable copycats or shabby retreads of older titles like MOO.   Maybe I am being too critical - I squeeze every dollar until it hurts when it comes to games these days, partly  due to getting addicted to the wild sales that pop up, partly because I don't believe most devs/pubs deserve full price for their increasingly unfinished products - but I am just finding it harder and harder to find something worthy of my money (and by "worthy," I mean a game with lots of replayability, AS WELL AS a game that will be continually supported by the dev.  I DEMAND both these days).

Quote from: ArizonaTankBut I also wonder if PC gaming is at it's zenith.  Will development for other platforms (like iOS platforms) slowly water down the choices we have on PC?

I believe the tablets have been a boon to PC gaming.  I truly believe this turn-based renaissance (one of the GOOD things about modern gaming) is due to the popularity of tablet gaming.  But for lucrative tablet gaming, I don't think excellent games like Frozen Synapse, Battle Academy, or ShadowRun would even exist! Unlike consoles, I think tablets are a net positive for gaming. 

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Mr. Bigglesworth

The power of modern systems has let devs do more. Consumers can run those titles on very affordable machines. What has not changed is the ability to conceptualize a great system. By system I mean game.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Toonces

Quote from: RooksBailey on September 30, 2014, 07:56:48 PM

Quote from: NefaroNow there is usually something interesting coming out every month.  Often multiple ones. 

My famine continues.   :(  But to be fair, I think it has to do with personal preference.  I am no longer inclined to jump from genre to genre as much as I used to.  Nowadays I am more likely to explore a shrinking circle of topics - really, mostly sci-fi, cyberpunk, shooters, and TBS games.  While we have seen a bunch of titles released in those genres (well, except for cyberpunk and TBS), most were forgettable copycats or shabby retreads of older titles like MOO.   Maybe I am being too critical - I squeeze every dollar until it hurts when it comes to games these days, partly  due to getting addicted to the wild sales that pop up, partly because I don't believe most devs/pubs deserve full price for their increasingly unfinished products - but I am just finding it harder and harder to find something worthy of my money (and by "worthy," I mean a game with lots of replayability, AS WELL AS a game that will be continually supported by the dev.  I DEMAND both these days).

[/quote]

I've been looking for the right quote and I guess this is as good as any.  I can't disagree more- this goes to the whole point of my post- and I don't see how you can possibly make this statement.

With the exception of cyberpunk, which I'm not familiar with, how can you be in a gaming famine in sci-fi, shooters, or TBS games?  I mean really?

For shooters it almost goes without saying that the number of choices has never been broader.  You have everything from quality games like ARMA3 (and an almost unlimited amount of gaming with ARMA2 with all of the expansions, which can be had for practically pennies now), to Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm (admittedly MP only really, but still an outstanding game), to pablum like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Destiny...man alive the list goes on forever!

Obviously an opinion can't be "wrong" by its nature, so I don't mean to belittle yours.  But I can't help that some folks in this thread are looking through the prism of nostalgia sometimes.  The only glaring exception to gaming where I feel that we've taken some sort of step backwards is in combat flight simming.  The up and coming flight sims all seem to be skimping on gameplay at the expense of systems fidelity, graphics, or just plain laziness.  Or all three.  And there really aren't a lot of new flight sims up and coming...the market is slowly coalescing around a few: ED, 777, a handful of others. 

If you can't find a good game to play you're setting your expectations too high, IMO.  Or you're just being curmudgeonly or something.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

One thing I do agree with is the seeming acceptance of the release of half-complete games.  This does seem to be becoming an industry standard.

I contrast that, though, with the almost absurd ease with which we can buy games now through venues like Steam, and the utter availability of information about a game to help the consumer make an informed purchase decision. 

It is maybe a bit depressing to not be able to go to a game store anymore and browse the back of the boxes to decide what to pick up, but on the other hand, I don't even need to leave my house anymore in order to get almost any game I want instantaneously.  The ability to have immediate gratification is great.

I don't like the new practice of including pre-order DLC in a purchase if you pre-order the game, to circumvent the intelligent consumer waiting for post-release information to become available before deciding to purchase.  I think this is bullshit.  This can be avoided easily if you're someone that is patient enough to wait for the inevitable sale or bundle offer, but there is value in being in on a popular game on day 1.  By the time I really get into Shogun 2 you guys are going to be on to the next Total War title...it makes for a pretty lonely conversation when you're 3 years behind on your gaming from everyone else!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RooksBailey

Quote from: Toonces on September 30, 2014, 09:21:32 PM
I've been looking for the right quote and I guess this is as good as any.  I can't disagree more- this goes to the whole point of my post- and I don't see how you can possibly make this statement.

Well, something like this is very much in the eye of the beholder.  One person's feast is another's famine.  It depends on the perspective.

QuoteFor shooters it almost goes without saying that the number of choices has never been broader.  You have everything from quality games like ARMA3 (and an almost unlimited amount of gaming with ARMA2 with all of the expansions, which can be had for practically pennies now), to Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm (admittedly MP only really, but still an outstanding game), to pablum like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Destiny...man alive the list goes on forever!

First off, I am speaking as a strict PC gamer.  I am sure that if I had a console, my gaming choices would be broader, such as with Destiny, so there is that. 

That aside, I would disagree that the number of choices has never been broader.  Or, perhaps a better way to state my disagreement would be to say that while there are lots of shooters out there, the number of quality shooters are actually becoming rather few and far between.  Remember circa 2008 when players were wont to bemoan the latest game announcement with a "Not another shooter!" exclamation?  You just don't hear that very much anymore because there are very few AAA shooters anymore.  Really, the current crop of credible shooters (again, this all depends on one's perspective, for my purposes I would describe it as those shooters with a large and active community) is limited to BF4 (after almost a year of patching), RO2, CSGO, TF2, and Borderlands 2 (for SP) - notice how I didn't mention CoD as even that franchise has fallen on hard times with Ghosts.  Of those, only BF4 was released in the last year, the rest are ongoing projects from 2012 or earlier.  So, yes, you would be correct to say that if one scoops up all shooters from years past, the selection has never been better.  However, I am making the argument that if one is looking for a fresh shooter experience, the selection has been poorer than ever before. 

QuoteObviously an opinion can't be "wrong" by its nature, so I don't mean to belittle yours.

Don't worry, no offense taken.  Again, it is just about how one views the situation. 

QuoteBut I can't help that some folks in this thread are looking through the prism of nostalgia sometimes. 

Well, that is one thing you cannot accuse me of.   :)  I think our difference of opinion stems from the fact that I am precisely the type of gamer who is always looking for the "hot, new thing."  When I look for fresh experiences in the above mentioned genres, I find very little to be excited about (with the exception of turn-based, that seems to be gathering speed).

QuoteThe only glaring exception to gaming where I feel that we've taken some sort of step backwards is in combat flight simming.  The up and coming flight sims all seem to be skimping on gameplay at the expense of systems fidelity, graphics, or just plain laziness.  Or all three.  And there really aren't a lot of new flight sims up and coming...the market is slowly coalescing around a few: ED, 777, a handful of others. 

That is one area I have no experience, so...no comment.   :)

QuoteOne thing I do agree with is the seeming acceptance of the release of half-complete games.  This does seem to be becoming an industry standard.

I contrast that, though, with the almost absurd ease with which we can buy games now through venues like Steam, and the utter availability of information about a game to help the consumer make an informed purchase decision. 

Agree and agree.  It is interesting that in light of the latter, you would think the former (incomplete games) would improve.  But it hasn't.  Odd, that.

QuoteIt is maybe a bit depressing to not be able to go to a game store anymore and browse the back of the boxes to decide what to pick up, but on the other hand, I don't even need to leave my house anymore in order to get almost any game I want instantaneously.  The ability to have immediate gratification is great.

I never missed having to go to the store, or needing to find room for more game boxes!   ;D  When I downloaded my first digitally distributed game - trivia: it was Sins of a Solar Empire!  - I was instantly in love with the idea!

QuoteI don't like the new practice of including pre-order DLC in a purchase if you pre-order the game, to circumvent the intelligent consumer waiting for post-release information to become available before deciding to purchase.  I think this is bullshit.  This can be avoided easily if you're someone that is patient enough to wait for the inevitable sale or bundle offer, but there is value in being in on a popular game on day 1.  By the time I really get into Shogun 2 you guys are going to be on to the next Total War title...it makes for a pretty lonely conversation when you're 3 years behind on your gaming from everyone else!

Yup.  Unless the game is something that really appeals to me, I am inclined to wait for some sort of bundle, or even ad hoc sale.  And seeing how long it takes for most games to get on their feet post launch, I am usually better for waiting.  However, I do miss the days of having a launch day party where everybody is playing and celebrating and sharing their experiences with a new game.  Nowadays, though, launch day is usually more about a party built around support requests.   :(
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

I take the NASA approach and get games that have been proven, enjoyed and modded in a professional manner.  this format saves me money and more importantly aggravation.  I realized a long time ago that I can play any game on ultra settings but rarely do so because Im usually to busy playing to give a shit.  this leads directly back to my first statement.
Ive got no problem waiting for what I want because the games I play are more proven then an AK-47 and continue to work and produce enjoyment.
meanwhile the rest of you fucktards (said lovingly) seem to be stuck here:

LB is going through his annual "pitf" ball busting. 
the simple truth is that it wasnt even worth the fucking time (which I did state almost 2 years ago).

I got 99 problems and a shit game aint one.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

Quote from: RooksBailey on September 30, 2014, 11:38:09 PM

QuoteBut I can't help that some folks in this thread are looking through the prism of nostalgia sometimes. 

Well, that is one thing you cannot accuse me of.   :)  I think our difference of opinion stems from the fact that I am precisely the type of gamer who is always looking for the "hot, new thing."  When I look for fresh experiences in the above mentioned genres, I find very little to be excited about (with the exception of turn-based, that seems to be gathering speed).

In that context I guess I can see your point.  I definitely cherry-pick games that hold some sort of interest for me, but are not necessarily hot or new. 

When I think of shooters I think of everything from Doom to HALO to CoD.  But if you narrow down the genre, then it seems you may be correct.  Someone on SimHQ just recently posted a thread bemoaning the lack of tactical shooters and the SimHQ'ers seem to be in agreement that it is a sad time.

I don't necessarily agree, but I only play a few so I'm not as into the genre as the hardcore tactical guys.

GDS_Starfury

have you checked out Watch Simulator IV - Omega?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2014, 01:31:05 AM
have you checked out Watch Simulator IV - Omega?

Write your d@amn review.

Then you will be permitted to heckle.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

I need not your permission to heckle.
its in my mission statement.
much like Gus being the go to guy for dwarf tossing, standing on a lawn and catching viruses.
or Mirth catching a virus at all.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on September 30, 2014, 09:21:32 PM
  The only glaring exception to gaming where I feel that we've taken some sort of step backwards is in combat flight simming.  The up and coming flight sims all seem to be skimping on gameplay at the expense of systems fidelity, graphics, or just plain laziness.  Or all three.  And there really aren't a lot of new flight sims up and coming...the market is slowly coalescing around a few: ED, 777, a handful of others. 

Completely agree regarding flight sims.  They're the only oddball genre that has gone backwards in gameplay variety & options. 

I'm pretty sure WOFF is the only flight sim I've purchased that was built with a good campaign system in.. 15 years IIRC.  At least ROF has a "Beta" dynamic campaign although it still falls short on results.  We've lost these great immersive experiences in exchange for what?  Pushing buttons with our mouse?  The trade-off isn't worth it.