Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version

Started by Zulu1966, January 18, 2015, 01:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Staggerwing

It'd be nice to see a few screenshots. Anyone have a link to those?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Well, it is now saying in stock and available as of today.....still no screenshots or really in depth information on it.

Barthheart

It's actually still listed as "pre-order" with estimated shipping of today..... doubt it's actually ready yet.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Barthheart on January 19, 2015, 11:01:30 AM
It's actually still listed as "pre-order" with estimated shipping of today..... doubt it's actually ready yet.

Interesting...the stock status says "In Stock", but maybe it said that all along, not sure....either way, not high on my list right now.

Nefaro

Since it's a solitaire tabletop game, I'd still consider just buying the real version. 

Only one issue with that - the counters.  A review I saw for D-Day At Tarawa said they both have the same kind of poorly cut counter sheets that the RAF reprint did.  Those things were goddamn annoying to punch out, and it was the first time I completely ripped the printed paper layer off a counter doing so.  Had to cut each one out with a hobby knife after awhile.  :tickedoff:

I think ArizonaTank and Gehrig38 have posted some AAR bits here, and they sound like fun wargames.  I definitely enjoyed the card-driven solitaire play in RAF and I think these use a similar concept.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Nefaro on January 19, 2015, 12:51:05 PM
Since it's a solitaire tabletop game, I'd still consider just buying the real version. 

Only one issue with that - the counters.  A review I saw for D-Day At Tarawa said they both have the same kind of poorly cut counter sheets that the RAF reprint did.  Those things were goddamn annoying to punch out, and it was the first time I completely ripped the printed paper layer off a counter doing so.  Had to cut each one out with a hobby knife after awhile.  :tickedoff:

I think ArizonaTank and Gehrig38 have posted some AAR bits here, and they sound like fun wargames.  I definitely enjoyed the card-driven solitaire play in RAF and I think these use a similar concept.

The other issue is that my board game playing days are over - and am too old to service the rules of a game with only my brain and no computer. I had read the board game was excellent - and would by its nature as a solitaire game be unhindered by poor AI.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Philippe

Omaha beach is the kind of battle that strikes me as lending itself to solitaire treatment. There aren't a lot of decisions that can get made that will have much of an impact on how things turn out, other than the casualty count. And the defenders are going to be pretty static, at least during D-Day.  Different story if you include Gold, Juno, Sword, and Utah.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

tgb

As tired as I am of WWII, the boardgame nature interests me a bit.  Who is going to take one for the team?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 07:19:27 PM
As tired as I am of WWII, the boardgame nature interests me a bit.  Who is going to take one for the team?

First we have to figure out when it will actually be released:)  For me, I would need more information then is provided on that web page to determine whether to ever buy or not.  Is there any forum or some kind of preview article available from anywhere?  Screenshots?

tgb

Is there some doubt about it releasing today?

Grim.Reaper

:tickedoff:
Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 08:24:52 PM

Hasn't come out of pre order status yet and kind of late in the day.....but doesn't really seem to be any official info one way or another.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 08:27:52 PM
:tickedoff:
Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 08:24:52 PM

Hasn't come out of pre order status yet and kind of late in the day.....but doesn't really seem to be any official info one way or another.

Well I enquired with decision and the answer I got was that they are expecting delivery of the " units " at the end of this week. Quite what that means I am not sure.

Zulu1966

Evidently its physical only. :( I guess they are worried about piracy ?

Grim.Reaper