Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version

Started by Zulu1966, January 18, 2015, 01:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 01, 2015, 02:51:20 AM
Looks like Vassal to me.

Well it would look a bit like that as its the same game - but that looks like a computer version to me.
Looks like they have done a decent job on it. Jeez - going to have to get it now.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 01, 2015, 09:16:34 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 01, 2015, 02:51:20 AM
Looks like Vassal to me.

Well it would look a bit like that as its the same game - but that looks like a computer version to me.

Those pictures were on the computer game version's product page, so my assumption is they are from the computer game, unless they are pulling a fast one:)

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Zulu1966

Quote from: Barthheart on February 03, 2015, 09:30:50 AM
Anyone get their copy yet?

Nope - am not in the US - and didn't want to spring for priority mail so I reckon its at least three weeks away yet

bbmike

Just received this! I'll post impressions on it after I get a chance to try it.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on February 06, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
Just received this! I'll post impressions on it after I get a chance to try it.  8)

O0

DennisS

Barthheart

GJK

I just got notice today that the copy that I purchased for my brother's birthday has shipped.  It better not be a POS program.  I knew I should of just gotten him the boardgame version....   >:(
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Zulu1966

Quote from: GJK on February 06, 2015, 03:32:06 PM
I just got notice today that the copy that I purchased for my brother's birthday has shipped.  It better not be a POS program.  I knew I should of just gotten him the boardgame version....   >:(

I don't know - there seems to have been one guy who had a problem, then a lot of people who obviously don't have the game saying that's terrible, then a few people who do have the game saying they don't see what the problems are.

tis a bit rush to judgement. I bought it and just had notification its on its way so will make up my own mind when I get it.

spelk

Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM
tis a bit rush to judgement. I bought it and just had notification its on its way so will make up my own mind when I get it.

Is there a shipping delay for a downloadable game?

bbmike

I just installed and ran it. I've never played the physical version so I have no idea of what's going on. The comments about no documentation are silly- you get rules (a couple of sets for some reason), color charts and example plays. As far as how it looks, it looks like Vassal but better. You even get basic fire animations and explosions.
The interface. Well, it is a bit odd but not terribly bad. Moving around the map is easy. You can left-click and drag the map and the mouse wheel zooms in and out. The interface does feel dated but it's not enough to make me not want to play.
I did experience one crash but I clicked on something I probably shouldn't have. It was the US turn and I clicked on some German arrow thingy. It didn't like that. :P I'm sure there are bugs in the game but if DG listens to feedback and patches it shouldn't be a problem.
One thing I don't like is it looks like you can't save a game at any point. When you quit it seems your game is saved automatically for you and you can continue it (or load another one) when you start again.
So far, and it is very early, I don't feel like I've wasted $25. I will read the rules and try to learn/play the game some more and post more feedback.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: spelk on February 06, 2015, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM

Is there a shipping delay for a downloadable game?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread it is physical copy only.....at least for now