Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Oh, wait, sorry, that isn't potentially 3 players.

Year of 4 Emperors? The shortest of the 3-player campaigns.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 06, 2017, 09:02:09 PM
Sure! Hm, 3rd Samnite War (from Birth of Rome)?

I'd do that scenario even if it is not a 3 player game.  If we can get a third player to join us then that Year of the 4 Emperors is a good one because of it's short length.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

We should make a proper thread to check for 3rd player.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

airboy

I finished the Kreigsmarine Download for Order of Battle WW2 - twice.  Once with and once without rushing for German carriers.

airboy

Finished two things since my last update.

Finished Burma Road (twice) and wrote a review that I'm not sure anyone read.

I also finished Armada 2526 on a Large map with 3 opponents.

JasonPratt

airboy

Finished Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father 20th Anniversary Edition.

Wrote a review that nobody will read!

Sir Slash

Congrats on the win airboy. Where's the review at?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

If we had a front page, it would probably be there.  :D

JasonPratt

Currently it's right after the Panthers in the Fog review, but it might get bumped a few pages forward.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I finished Pre-Dynastic Egypt aka Pre-civilization: Egypt earlier this week. I like games that start from dirt nothing and go upward, and this had a good scope. For nostalgia, I also re-figured out how to beat the first "Pre-civ" games Stone Age and Bronze Age. Then I realized I also had Marble Age which picks up roughly where PDE leaves off, and wow goes through the Byzantine period??  :o The mechanics in the latter are an interesting evolutionary step between the earlier and the latest games, too, so same-but-different enough to be a highly distinctive entry.

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 29, 2017, 03:45:27 PM
Meanwhile, I finished Pre-Dynastic Egypt aka Pre-civilization: Egypt earlier this week. I like games that start from dirt nothing and go upward, and this had a good scope. For nostalgia, I also re-figured out how to beat the first "Pre-civ" games Stone Age and Bronze Age. Then I realized I also had Marble Age which picks up roughly where PDE leaves off, and wow goes through the Byzantine period??  :o The mechanics in the latter are an interesting evolutionary step between the earlier and the latest games, too, so same-but-different enough to be a highly distinctive entry.

Can you link to what you are talking about?

JasonPratt

Sure, they're all on Steam now (but they're all originally mobile games):

Stone Age + Bronze Age

Stone Age is the simplest game (and maybe developed first). It's set in Africa and runs from four million years BC to around 4000ish BC (the game's text in English accidentally calls this 4 thousand years ago, i.e. 2000ish BC). The overarching puzzle is how to get enough production to build an early palace by then (which takes 100 turns). You start with 8 starving people in your tribe, and the game takes place entirely on one small map with 'work' positions that open up as you tech up. The game system is very much a worker-placement turn-based game. (Not like Sid's Civ except in a very superficial sense. Firaxis forced the devs to stop calling it Pre-Civ, but that's an appropriate title really. ;) ) The gfx are very simple and cartoonish; and the music is pleasant but not really "ancient". Not much real history. But it's a good introduction to the system.

Bronze Age starts you in the Fertile Crescent 6000 BC. Same principle but you get 120 turns to build the first Wonder of the World (a pyramid) by 2000 BC, starting with 12 starving people in your tribe. About the same number of techs, four more buildings to unlock. Gfx are on par with the first game, music sounds more ancient but also is rather more grating. ;) It's a little more difficult, and you could potentially end up with over a million people in your civ.

Marble Age

This is where the series jumps hard into trying new things (among them using sliders instead of discreet +/- buttons to assign workers to job areas). The basic concepts remain: you start with a few settlers in your tribe in an undeveloped map screen, this time in 3000BC south Greece (starting what will become either Athens or Sparta, your choice at the beginning), and slowly develop your home area opening up job slots to place workers. Now though you've got a larger map outside your home map, where you send scouts to check other areas, start diplomacy with other tribes, and build colonies. There's a lot more historical flavor, and arguably this is the most epic of the four games (so far) running to unify a typical EuroMed map by the start of the medieval period (AD 1000), either as Rome or as Byzantium. The turn limit is 301, but Gold victory is 285. The music probably doesn't sound 'Greek' at all, but is more complex than previously. Gfx have improved moderately in some ways, not much in others. The new interface isn't as polished overall, which is a main reason why the game gets the worst Steam reviews of the series. (The other reason seems to be ongoing bugs in the PC adaptation.)

Pre-dynastic Egypt

This is the most polished system in the series, with by far the best graphical flair. (The music is appropriately ancient-Egypt sounding, sort of.) It runs from 5000 BC to 3000 BC (at least 204 turns if I recall correctly), so its scale is more focused, but you're still starting as a family with only 8 workers (now the game tracks overall population distinct from workers, although that's a bit behind the scenes) migrating into an area near the Nile to look for food to gather. The home map develops out a lot more realistically looking over time; the over-map (which unlocks eventually instead of immediately with MarbAge) just covers (eventual) Egypt and Sinai really, with a little area westward into the Sahara. The worker-placement mechanic has been revised into a new form: you don't unlock work areas with tech (usually), but discover discreet areas (from a fog) which produce one or more kinds of income (food, production, culture, etc.). Then you decide where best to send your workers. Meanwhile you can keep one worker group in the background converting production into new developments of discovered areas. The design, both in gameplay and aesthetic, is much more elegant than prior games. Like MarbAge, there are now plot goals which, when you meet them, will give you bonuses and unlock the next goals. Some of these goals are important enough to be game-ending if you fail to get them in time! Also like MarbAge there's a ton more historical flavor.

People have compared the system to a solitaire Euro boardgame, and I think that's a valid comparison.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finished The Observer.  Very stylish game with some amazing and disturbing visuals but, for me, the game itself wasn't all that good.  The story is sometimes a bit hard to follow unless you're the type who can glean meanings from subtext and art (I'm not).  The gameplay itself doesn't involve a lot of player choice.  It's mostly a walking simulator/pixel hunt.  There are dialogue trees but they don't offer branching paths so eventually you just go through and exhaust all the options.  There are only two situations where you get to make a choice that will affect the story outcome.

If you're really into atmosphere dystopian cyberpunk themes, this title's worth it for the art direction but as a horror/adventure game, it's not all that good.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 06, 2017, 06:54:02 PM
I finished The Observer

I've never been into digital adventure games (aka pixel hunts), but Razorfist's review of this one is damn entertaining.   :2funny:

Warning
:  NSFW - Language.

>:D