Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Holy crap....! I actually finished the "Command Modern Air and Naval Ops" four part  "Sea Tutorial" with a 7 point triumph.  You have a single guided missile destroyer.  Part 1 was defend from an air attack.  Part 2 was detect and sink a sub.  Part 3 was initiate an attack against land targets.  Part 4 was a head to head ship versus ship battle.  Never thought I could do it.  This game is intense. I died a number of times before getting the hang of what I was doing.

Sir Slash

Congrats on the win Rayfer!  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

While waiting for TTG's final eps of their second season Batman adventure game to drop, I finally got around to playing their Guardians of the Galaxy game, which also released its final ep recently. 1-/2 to 2 hours a night well spent this week.

There are still some minor bugs in the "plot tracking" side of the game, but I don't think I noticed any until the final ep so presumably they'll get squished. The background music was weaaaaaaaak. But weak in almost a retro midi way. When the music tried and failed to sound like the awesome movie theme music, though, that was just sad. I honestly feel bad for the composer.

Relatedly, no doubt for trademark copyright reasons, the "Awesome Mix" tape is now the "Rad Mix" tape. It is also, to my feelings (admittedly subjective), somewhat less rad or awesome than the nostalgia tracks from the films. This is not helped by spreading the music cues out across ten-ish hours instead of 2, and (for me) the most repeated ones were some of the weakest of the set. Still, I appreciated some of the music choices in there, too, especially the background song for the final fight which was "Crazy On You". Other players' mileage may vary about the choices, hopefully for the better.  O:-) (There's also an option to nix the "rad mix" and replace it with something else, for Youtube playthroughs to prevent copyright infringement claims and monetization problems.)

The visual design for Peter Quill (this is the newer version of the team, from the movies, not the original, which is fine) is... aggressively not the comics, nor Chris Pratt. At least the voice actor was pretty good at it. Most of the vocal talent was good, including long-time actor Nolan North doing a serviceable impression of Bradley Cooper's Rocket Raccoon. Also Nebula's voice actor, doing a great impression of Karen Gillan from the film. The guy doing Yondu's voice came and went in quality, sometimes a spot-on impression, sometimes not. (His character had by far the weakest writing, too, but also just a cameo really.) The other principal actors did just fine. Groot's actor was a freaking genius (better than Vin Diesel). Character designs I thought were spot on (and better than the films in some cases, particularly for Gamora), but as noted "Star-Lord" Quill's design, where not mirroring the film's, seemed very meh. (His "Stache-Lord" origin appearance in the final ep was super-funny, though.)

Despite heavily referencing the film's style to some degree, the story in no way counts as part of the MCU continuity. This was reflexively annoying, but I got over it. Sometimes it felt like plot tension was being thrown at me for sake of plot tension, but stretched over five movie-length episodes, in a setting that might as well be called SNARKY ARGUMENTS THE SEMI-SUPER TEAM, I can forgive that more easily as necessary to keep things going.

Rather than dealing with any of the Infinity Stones, the team inadvertently finds the... well, for all practical purposes, the Holy Grail. And kills Thanos in the opening fight scene, just so the player won't be having that plot expectation hanging around. (I still had plot expectations of him coming back by episode 4 hanging around, however. I won't spoil whether the game exceeded my expectations on that.) A Kree Accuser wants the Grail, too, in order to bring back the Kree Empire (in this game they were already wiped out, apparently by Thanos if I recall correctly). Plot happens. More importantly, characterization among the crew happens, and is generally well written. The game serves as a broad 'origin story' for the characters and how they came together (in flashbacks), too; not so much in events as, again, characterization. I appreciated that.

The action sequences are, well, TTS' normal brand of quick-time events. As usual what bugs me about these is that some cues make logical and consistent sense, while others (mainly single button presses) do not: they're just randomly assigned around, which makes a person think about what they're doing but only in confusion and annoyance!  :pullhair: Otherwise the action scenes are designed reasonably well, up to great in a few cases -- the ones showcasing the Guardians working together (such as in the Thanos fight, and in the final battle.)

Worth it if you like this kind of game; or if you like the character interaction of the Guardians in the films but want to see them in a different yet similar story (or are willing to put up with it not being in the MCU story at all despite visual cues suggesting otherwise).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finished Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Samurai.

Great game!  Reminded me a lot of the old Commandos series of sneaky stealth action.  Challenging but not punishingly so and I only rarely felt truly stuck or frustrated.  Some of my "solutions" were pretty high risk and involved a fair bit of saving and reloading to get the timing just right but when it worked, it was glorious. 

It's 50% off on Steam for the winter sale.  Well worth it IMO.

Sir Slash

Very good SDR!  Congrats on the win.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Been on my list for awhile. Did you use a game controller or mouse and keyboard? Doesn't look very M/KB friendly. Congrats on the finish, nice to know someone around here is finishing something :notworthy:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Mouse and keyboard.  I never felt using that combo was in any way difficult or problematic.  The only issue I ran into was one of location selection.  In a few instances, the game would misinterpret the bit of terrain you were trying to select (eg, a clump of bushes next to a wall) and assign your mouse click to somewhere you didn't want it to be (on top of the wall instead of in the bushes) and your ninja would dutifully clamber up the wall and caper about like an inbred for a few seconds before being riddled with musket balls.

-budd-

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 22, 2017, 12:13:01 AM
Mouse and keyboard.  I never felt using that combo was in any way difficult or problematic.  The only issue I ran into was one of location selection.  In a few instances, the game would misinterpret the bit of terrain you were trying to select (eg, a clump of bushes next to a wall) and assign your mouse click to somewhere you didn't want it to be (on top of the wall instead of in the bushes) and your ninja would dutifully clamber up the wall and caper about like an inbred for a few seconds before being riddled with musket balls.
Thank you sir, good to know.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Finished "Layers of Fear"....a Humble Bundle free give-away from earlier in the week.  Took four hours.  Never played a game like this before...psychological horror game with an unfolding story, no combat or fighting of any sort, some puzzle here and there but nothing too difficult to figure out.  Enjoyed it.  Nothing great, but for free....hey, can't beat the price.

Anguille

Just finished 1849 ...took me a while to complete the 20 scenarios of the base game on my tablet. It was fun and good game on the go.

San Fransisco is the last scenario (not me playing).

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought Curious Expedition from Steam as it was on sale and after 4 playthroughs, I was able to complete a 6-expedition run through (max possible).  The game has some interesting features but when you put it up against Renowned Explorers, it just doesn't hold up.  Renowned Explorers is by far the superior game even though I dislike the anime style artistic influences. 

Thankfully it was a relatively cheap purchase if if you're in the market for a rouge-like exploration based game, then grab Renowned Explorers.  the gameplay is deeper and more tactical, the graphics are better, and the replayability is much higher. 

Anguille

Finished my first Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword game. Lost it to a cultural victory despite the fact that i had launched the spaceship but for some reason, after 20 turns, it failed to bring me victory...anyone knows why?

airboy

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 24, 2017, 03:43:23 AM
I bought Curious Expedition from Steam as it was on sale and after 4 playthroughs, I was able to complete a 6-expedition run through (max possible).  The game has some interesting features but when you put it up against Renowned Explorers, it just doesn't hold up.  Renowned Explorers is by far the superior game even though I dislike the anime style artistic influences. 

Thankfully it was a relatively cheap purchase if if you're in the market for a rouge-like exploration based game, then grab Renowned Explorers.  the gameplay is deeper and more tactical, the graphics are better, and the replayability is much higher.

For $8 on steam Renowned Explorers looks pretty good.  But do I really need yet another game in my stack that I've not played?

MetalDog

Quote from: Anguille on December 24, 2017, 08:00:10 AM
Finished my first Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword game. Lost it to a cultural victory despite the fact that i had launched the spaceship but for some reason, after 20 turns, it failed to bring me victory...anyone knows why?

If you reload the game, look in the Victory Conditions screen (not its proper name, but, accessed by a red fist symbol in the top right corner of the play screen).  It will give you your relation to the leader of each VC you chose at the beginning.  There is also a button to see your spaceship building progress.  Not sure if it's in the VC tab or the tab that looks like a graph (also in the top right corner and next to the fist).  If you didn't put enough components on your spaceship when you launched it, it takes longer to get to Alpha Centauri.  And in the interim, your opponents continue to work towards their goals, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Finally beat Hand of Fate, after lolling around on it for a couple of years. Still took me a couple of weeks.

It's a game that can truly be said to be the journey, not the destination, because, well, the ending is pretty weak. And arguably the game runs on too long without enough variation for the distance.

Still, it's got an entertaining atmosphere of grey and gray mystery (so to speak). From what I've read, the recently released sequel serves as an extended plot-fill for what the story really was in this game and how it ends, thus setting up the plot for the sequel. I doubt I'm going to play it for a while, though. (If ever.)

For the money, it must be bluntly said, you can get even better versions of the same fighting style in any single (or by now, two or three on sale) Batman: Arkham games; also the Amazing Spider-man games; also the Shadow of Middle-Earth games (so to speak, although I regard those as lesser compared to their Batman inspiration); also reportedly Mad Max (haven't played that myself yet, not fond of the milieu). You won't get the archetypal mythical symbolism gameplay, though, as in this game (and its sequel).

On to other things. I have an excellent multiplayer game with Yskonyn I've been putting off for a while in order to finish various chugs I started, including this game, and it's time to get back to that and release the grey thunder!  \m/
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!