Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 17, 2019, 02:13:30 PM
I won my first timeline playing Into the Breach!  That's a brilliant little gem (sort of a thinking man's, turn-based FTL) that mixes different aspects of Panzer General, Tetris, and an RPG in a unique combo.

Ultimately, I was just able to power up my different weapon systems to just do enough damage, and push the enemy around the board, so that I was able to avoid catastrophic damage to my Mechs or the civilian power grid that they had to defend. 

Having a good combination of Pilots really helped too.  One guy had a special ability to avoid Web attacks, which really helped my Brute mech deal with the nasty little web-slinging melee fighters.  And another had the Armor ability, which reduces the damage you receive from each alien attack by one.  That made it really easy to throw him into harm's way to protect my civilian structures from the annoying little guys while I took care of the bigger threats.

I've been playing it 20 or 30 hours and this is the first timeline I've won.  I'm very psyched about that.
Congratulations!

Sir Slash

I managed an, 'Overwhelming Victory' in TOAW 4's Cherborg '44 scenario-- a challenging but not particularly difficult fight. But it passed the 'fun' test in spades. This game has lots of smaller battles that are ideal to play and most turns can be completed in a quick sit-down. Nice break from the, 'monster' scenarios that take forever to play. Next up, I'll be sharpening my defensive skills by trying to pull Mc Arthur's chestnuts out of the fire in 'Luzon 41'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Congrats on Cherborg.  Luzon will boil down to how much can you bleed the Japs since it is strategically hopeless.

Sir Slash

Don't tell Mc Arthur that! It is VERY frustrating with the Japs having total Air Superiority constantly bombing the crap out of my troops, even when in deep jungle.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 28, 2019, 10:32:29 AM
Don't tell Mc Arthur that! It is VERY frustrating with the Japs having total Air Superiority constantly bombing the crap out of my troops, even when in deep jungle.  :hide:

Remind McArthur he should not park his planes wingtip to wingtip after getting Flash war warnings.

Sir Slash

I'll tell him YOU said to remind him.  :P  I don't want him to stick that corncob pipe somewhere I can't smoke it.

FarAway Sooner

You know, I haven't seen any comprehensive treatment of the topic, but in a number of different books I've read, there's a compelling case that many of the early-war failures on the American side were not intelligence failures per se, but simply operational failures of command staff to use the intelligence that was given to them. 

Which kinda underscores your point...

Anguille

Just finished one more game in my library:

Oil Rush

It's kind of Tower Defense /Offense game. Short campaign but fun.

Rayfer

Quote from: Anguille on April 15, 2019, 03:10:34 AM

Oil Rush

Don't know the game, but congrats anyway.  Can't remember the last time I actually finished a game, no less just a campaign within a game.  Sad.   :-\  :'(

Anguille

Quote from: Rayfer on April 15, 2019, 06:50:50 AM
Quote from: Anguille on April 15, 2019, 03:10:34 AM

Oil Rush

Don't know the game, but congrats anyway.  Can't remember the last time I actually finished a game, no less just a campaign within a game.  Sad.   :-\  :'(
Yeah, it's not easy. Sometimes, especially when there's a tougther scenario, you just want to give up and go on to the next game...

Huw the Poo

Oil Rush has been around for years.  If you like the war-of-attrition style of gameplay it's actually pretty decent and I still play it several times a year.  I believe their engine - Uniguine or something like that - is still used in some GPU benchmarks today.

airboy

Anguille

Thanks.

Bought the game in 2014 but just played it now...i try to mix between older games i haven't played yet and new games...

Sir Slash

Congrats on the win Anguille.  :clap:

Wolfe1759

Not sure if this counts but just finished the introductory Space Marines campaign/scenario in Warhammer 40K Gladius - yes I know everything was set to Easy but for someone as incompetent as me it was rather fun  :)
The final turn 50ish battle against the Necron capital (well to be fair the only other city on the map) came down to my SM Captain (who was about to die) and Chaplain, my half dozen SM units in the city assault having been shredded by the Necron Lord, the Necron City and some pesky wasp things.
Started playing as per a normal Civ type game, that got my initial units I sent out exploring either dead or enslaved. Regrouped and started playing it more as a wargame and also running away from threats and things got better.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill