HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Quote from: jamus34 on March 23, 2020, 08:11:16 AM
Going to the way back machine.

I finally finished the original Portal
The cake is a lie 😃

Portal 2 is good fun too with a few new twists as I recall.

Good job on the finish, I remember some mind bendingly difficult puzzles. Think I had to consult the internet on a couple of occasions.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

Finished F.E.A.R. 2 -Project Origin, 10 hours to completion. Same shooting mechanics as the First FEAR, so that's solid. Good pacing, very well placed checkpoints, and quite a few of them, normally hate checkpoints, like to save when i want but these weren't as issue.

airboy

Quote from: -budd- on March 29, 2020, 04:33:57 PM
Finished F.E.A.R. 2 -Project Origin, 10 hours to completion. Same shooting mechanics as the First FEAR, so that's solid. Good pacing, very well placed checkpoints, and quite a few of them, normally hate checkpoints, like to save when i want but these weren't as issue.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

I finally won my 1st game of Deity Empires!  I love the game, but am finding it a bit grindy in the later stages.  I suspect I might need to toughen the AI up, and/or let there be more of them?

Anguille

Just completed the Egyptian Campaign in Napoleon Total War! Great fun

Sir Slash

WAY TO GO! I never finished that myself.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Good job, that's a commitment.

Do people fight the battles in these Total War games, or auto resolve? I own like 5 of the older ones, but i've only played Medieval 2 and Empire for just a little bit. The real time battles just put me off.

airboy

Another good game I own that I've never read the rules or played.

Congratulations!

Anguille

Quote from: -budd- on April 04, 2020, 12:00:47 PM

Do people fight the battles in these Total War games, or auto resolve? I own like 5 of the older ones, but i've only played Medieval 2 and Empire for just a little bit. The real time battles just put me off.
I find the battles to be fairly intensive and, in some way, exhausting. So i Don't like to fight too many battles in a session. In the Italian Campaign, i played all the battles. In my Egyptian Campaign, only about the half...most of the battles at the beginning of the Campaign, and only the battles i might have lost in the end.

Martok

In general, I manually fight any battles where the odds aren't pretty lopsided (either in my favor, or against); my personal threshold is about a 3:1 ratio.  So if there's basically either no chance of my either losing or winning (depending on which side has overwhelming force), I simply auto-resolve. 

I'd estimate this leads to me fighting around 20% of the battles in my Total War games, and auto-resolving the remaining 80%, which I find to be a reasonable balance.  I greatly enjoy TW's combat, but admit it can also be rather tiring (to echo Anguille), especially if you're playing out battles all the time. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

I own several of the Total War series, too, and have only played Medieval 2.  I don't like playing the battles so I auto resolve all of them.  I have played to completion more than one game and never missed not playing the battles.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

I enjoy fighting the battles myself. Except for way lopsided beat-downs of course. Medi 2 and Shogun 2 had the best AI opponents in my humble opinion.

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 04, 2020, 11:05:17 PM
I enjoy fighting the battles myself. Except for way lopsided beat-downs of course. Medi 2 and Shogun 2 had the best AI opponents in my humble opinion.
The original Shogun and Medieval still have the best battle AI in my experience. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

I should've mentioned NTW's AI was no slouch either, especially with muskets and arty.