Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on April 13, 2020, 04:48:34 PM
Finally finished this thread!

In its honor I also finished the 2nd chapter of Diablo III and moved in to the 3rd, which started out amazingly.

But Civ VI beckoned and I finished the tutorial there as Gilgamesh. Really enjoyed it. I am thinking Civ VI will keep me occupied for 100s of hours at least 🤓

I Believe so....i've put more than 100 hours into Civ VI and still want to play it.  :)

Wolfe1759

Won as Humans in MOO:CtS with an Economic Victory. Basically pre-empted a long slog (and looking inevitable) domination victory by buying-out 80%+ of the galactic stock market. Along the way I wiped out the Terrans (my usual go to race in MOO) and got their defeat screen with the Blade Runner quote "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." which made me feel a little bit guilty, though then again I did go on to (as my Steam achievement told me) Warren Buffet the galaxy  :-\
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

airboy

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 17, 2020, 06:22:06 PM
Won as Humans in MOO:CtS with an Economic Victory. Basically pre-empted a long slog (and looking inevitable) domination victory by buying-out 80%+ of the galactic stock market. Along the way I wiped out the Terrans (my usual go to race in MOO) and got their defeat screen with the Blade Runner quote "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." which made me feel a little bit guilty, though then again I did go on to (as my Steam achievement told me) Warren Buffet the galaxy  :-\

Congratulations!

How does this compare to the original Master of Orion and Moo2?

Wolfe1759

Although I got MOO1-3 as part of the MOO:CtS package I bought I really haven't played enough of any of them to make much of a comparison. I generally take a fairly casual rather than trying to micromanage and min-max everything approach to 4Xs and MOO:CtS is for me just at the sweet spot in terms of complexity to allow me to enjoy the game and spend my time thinking about what to do rather than how to do it.

From a post I made on the Steam forums about Stars in Shadow (which I also rather enjoy) but equally applicable to MOO:CtS:

It is on the lighter side of the space 4X genre but does what it does really well and I found the race differentiation to be enough to allow for different approaches dependent on race without the learning curve playing a new race has in Endless Space, I also found the style/personality/flavour of the game quite engaging. As a (totally subjective) comparison of complexity in terms both of ease of learning and depth of experience (though weighted more to the former) on a 1-10 (10 being most complex) scale from those I have played I would rank as follows (including most/all of their respective DLCs):

10 - Aurora
9 - Distant Worlds (with minimal automation selected)
7 - Stellaris / Gal Civ III
6 - Endless Space II / Gal Civ II
5 - Stars in Shadow / Master of Orion (the new one) / Endless Space / Armada 2526
4 - Sins of a Solar Empire
1 - Space Tyrant

From the above the ones I'm playing most at present are in order - MoO > Stars in Shadow > Gal Civ III > Endless Space II.

I find that the complexity level 5 games from the above allow me within a couple of short (i.e. less than 5 hours) games to know what I was doing enough that I could start thinking more about the strategy I was going to try rather than how to play the game, though dependant on skill level selected I'd still lose more often than I'd win :)

P.S. if you are going to play MOO:CtS I would strongly recommend the UCP and 5X mods (which have been designed to work together) which pretty much fix all the rough spots in the official release and are still very actively updated with improvements, most recently just last week.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

airboy

Thanks.  I have Stars of Shadow that I've yet to play.

JasonPratt

Which Aurora are you talking about? (Because being me, I immediately jumped to the most complex thing to check out. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Wolfe1759

This one http://aurora2.pentarch.org/ which I believe has just had a newish C# remake. Can't really comment much on it myself as I remember downloading it a year or so ago (it is free) starting it up and very quickly deciding the complexity was not at all my cup of tea, maybe I'll give it a go again when I finish the full campaign of War in The Pacific Admirals Edition which still glares at me from my game shelf  :)

bobarossa

Also note that on a scale of 1 to 10, I think Aurora deserves a 15.  You design almost everything about your ships, missles, and weapons.  You decide fuel, crew quarters (depends on intended mission length), sensors (different ones for ships vs missiles vs planetary resources vs jump points), missiles (size, speed, range, guidance), etc.   

Anguille

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 17, 2020, 06:22:06 PM
Well done! What galaxy size did you play?

I just completed the Peninsula Campaign in Napoleon Total War with France. Not an easy one with all those spaniards hating you!

Sir Slash

I managed a win in the second battle of CMBN's Market-Garden Campaign, a great little company-sized paratrooper scenario against some very tough Germans. We inflicted 80+ casualties on them including 41 K.I.A. against just 6 dead and 8 wounded. Great game!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 20, 2020, 10:13:36 AM
I managed a win in the second battle of CMBN's Market-Garden Campaign, a great little company-sized paratrooper scenario against some very tough Germans. We inflicted 80+ casualties on them including 41 K.I.A. against just 6 dead and 8 wounded. Great game!
I always thought the market garden campaigns were some of the best battles in CMBN.  I have many memorable fights esp when playing against human opponents in that theater.

Con

Sir Slash

That I can believe. After the battle I cruised around the map and the German AI had 2 full squads in foxholes that could've caused me all kinds of problems but were never moved. A 'Meat Opponent' probably would've clobbered me.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 20, 2020, 10:13:36 AM

Nice!!  Paratroopers for the win!!  :)

W8taminute

Just finished the Xenonauts campaign last night.  Very good game.  I like this better than the modern X-COM.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on April 21, 2020, 08:20:28 AM
Just finished the Xenonauts campaign last night.  Very good game.  I like this better than the modern X-COM.

Well done!  And I agree.  This is an under-appreciated gem.