New Wargame from Matrix

Started by Zulu1966, May 15, 2015, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

LongBlade

QuoteTigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player's maneuvers.

source: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/578/details/Tigers.on.the.Hunt

It's still in Beta. How can they claim it's boasting something that's still in development?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Zulu1966

Quote from: LongBlade on May 15, 2015, 03:53:40 PM
QuoteTigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player's maneuvers.

source: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/578/details/Tigers.on.the.Hunt

It's still in Beta. How can they claim it's boasting something that's still in development?

Don't know. Guess its an aspiration. Or the BETA is more advanced than they are showing.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mikeck

Well nowadays beta means what alpha used to it seems like.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Freyland

If it's WEGO, then I'd bite in a heartbeat.  Not clear on product page, unless "turn-based" automatically implies IGOUGO. 

Nefaro

Another WW2 game with the name "Tigers" in the title?

Wow.   I'm [feigning being] surprised.    :-\

Staggerwing

The system reqs are rather low.

I wonder if this the fabled 'reboot' of the legendary 'Tigers on the Prowl' that has been whispered about, for lo these many years. I'd heard that the code had changed hands a few times from HPS to parties unknown.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2015, 05:53:28 PM
Another WW2 game with the name "Tigers" in the title?

Wow.   I'm [feigning being] surprised.    :-\

Better than Panzer

Richie61

Sounds interesting  :o

QuoteThis is the first I have heard of this game, the product page makes for interesting reading, but I'm not really getting a clear picture of what the gameplay is going to be like. Are we talking something like SPWAW?

QuoteYes, it's similar to Steel Panthers though a turn is broken down into segments...there is a fire segment and movement segment.
:D
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Space6ghost

Hopefully it does not take long to come out. They still have a game that is "in development" and has been so since the year 2000. That is right, 15 years. :o I do believe it is the one called Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!)
I pay full price for Paradox games, deal with it snowflakes.

Richie61

The biggest bummer of this new title is NO PBEM  :knuppel2:
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Al

Quote from: Space6ghost on May 15, 2015, 11:36:22 PM
Hopefully it does not take long to come out. They still have a game that is "in development" and has been so since the year 2000. That is right, 15 years. :o I do believe it is the one called Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!)

Matrix should just quietly remove that game from their forum.

The new game from Matrix does look interesting.
Al

Pinetree

I'm pretty sure that this is computer ASL but with all ASL references ripped out. The dev was working on the game a few years back.  The turn sequence alone is exactly like ASL.:

QuoteORIGINAL:  Peter Fisla

Steel Panthers was one of the games that I inspired me from the game design perspective (among others). What I mean by that, when you get the game you have access to the whole war (41 - 45) as well as great map and OOB editor - sand box type of environment (primary focus is on Eastern Front and Western Front 43 - 45; if game sells well I will add Blitzkrieg and other theater of operations). The sequence of play is more complex than in SP. You have Admin segment (in my game segment = phase), Fire segment, Movement segment, Defensive Fire segment, Advancing Fire segment, Rout Segment, Advance Segment and Close Combat Segment. So the turn is very interactive, example in Movement segment if you move a unit by one hex, or your vehicle changes facing both of these actions can trigger enemy defensive fire and because of this PBEM style of play would be very difficult.

I worked on the game since 2006 (I have done all the game development myself), about 6+ years of development + testing on top before I even decided to publish the game through matrix games. At this point the game in testing stage, the development is basically done. I'm passionate wargamer and this is a labor of love project by a wargamer for wargamers :)

and here's the old thread where he mentioned he was working on it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Zulu1966

Quote from: Pinetree on May 16, 2015, 10:01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is computer ASL but with all ASL references ripped out. The dev was working on the game a few years back.  The turn sequence alone is exactly like ASL.:

QuoteORIGINAL:  Peter Fisla

Steel Panthers was one of the games that I inspired me from the game design perspective (among others). What I mean by that, when you get the game you have access to the whole war (41 - 45) as well as great map and OOB editor - sand box type of environment (primary focus is on Eastern Front and Western Front 43 - 45; if game sells well I will add Blitzkrieg and other theater of operations). The sequence of play is more complex than in SP. You have Admin segment (in my game segment = phase), Fire segment, Movement segment, Defensive Fire segment, Advancing Fire segment, Rout Segment, Advance Segment and Close Combat Segment. So the turn is very interactive, example in Movement segment if you move a unit by one hex, or your vehicle changes facing both of these actions can trigger enemy defensive fire and because of this PBEM style of play would be very difficult.

I worked on the game since 2006 (I have done all the game development myself), about 6+ years of development + testing on top before I even decided to publish the game through matrix games. At this point the game in testing stage, the development is basically done. I'm passionate wargamer and this is a labor of love project by a wargamer for wargamers :)

and here's the old thread where he mentioned he was working on it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944

I think you are likely correct...be interesting to see if simply saying it isn't ASL is enough. Even if it looks and plays exactly like it. I guess they have that one covered. At least if hes been doing it for 6 years its a way along already.

Rayfer

Isn't Matrix's LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad already a lot like ASL? Or am I wrong with that impression?