New Wargame from Matrix

Started by Zulu1966, May 15, 2015, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

I did some "playtesting" for Peter on his Computer ASL game back in '05/06.  He had a really nice looking project in the works but at the time the rules it covered were less what SK1 would later have in it.  I should still have an early build on my computer somewhere, I'll have to revisit that.

Agree on the copyright issue, I know that many "cease and desist" letters have been sent out for things that walk, talk or act like something while calling itself something else.  Good for Peter, I'll be anxiously watching this one.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM
Isn't Matrix's LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad already a lot like ASL? Or am I wrong with that impression?

It's counters, hexes and squads and they move and you can roll on a table to "shoot" at one another.  I think the similarities about end there.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rayfer

Quote from: GJK on May 16, 2015, 11:12:29 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM
Isn't Matrix's LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad already a lot like ASL? Or am I wrong with that impression?

It's counters, hexes and squads and they move and you can roll on a table to "shoot" at one another.  I think the similarities about end there.

Thanks GJK. I asked only because there are no screenshots on the Matrix product page. I used to play ASL as a board game many decades ago and the LnL Stalingrad pc game had that look and feel to it.

Barthheart

And it looks like a re-hash of JT's Squad Battles.  :(
Tank facing shown by an arrow on the counter, instead of rotating the counter.
Very ASL looking maps.
No info on the counters other than unit illustrations.

GJK

I'm a good bit disappointed about the AFV's not being able to rotate their hull to face the hexside that they are actually facing (instead of an arrowhead) as well as not having rotating turrets. I imagine that is going to come up quite a bit as one of the biggest complaints and perhaps during testing Peter will figure out some way to make that happen.  I too would like more data on the counters themselves; my biggest pet peeve against computer games that mimic boardgames is the need to scroll over or worse click on a piece just to see what the heck it is.  Still holding out that this will be something pretty good.  I never could get in to SPWAW because the graphics and tiny screen realestate is just a total immersion killer for me - maybe this one will replace it.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

dinsdale

One thing I really can't understand is how far forward board game art has progressed, and how PC game art has stagnated or regressed. It is absurd to me that Vassal conversions of boardgames have better artwork and a more advanced way of portraying information than made for PC games.

Here's a very basic counter set from GMT,

Richie61

I am a fan of the JT Squad Battles titles with over 1000 PBEM battles.  :D  I do like SL looks of this title, but I want to hear more about the game engine under the hood.
Peter's idea of using arrows for hull and turret rotation is a neat idea - IMO.
QuoteCorrect, the counters do not rotate, guns or assault guns like SutG IIIG have one arrow. Tanks like Sherman will have two triangles one for the hull and one for the turret.

Being able to mod the counters like in JT titles would be really cool  ;D

Still like the overall idea of the game so far  :) I would love to have a PC version of SL or ASL  >:D

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Staggerwing

If the arrow is an overlay then it should be possible to mod the overlay into a full-size turret. Redo the unit base art to show the tank from the top and turn the arrow into a real turret.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Richie61

Maybe, but I would guess they are like the JT titles and a small triangle and not a full hex based overlay. I am very interested to see if the counters are bmp type images and can be changed
like in JT titles. I have a bunch of images floating in my head.  :)

Maybe SB Pacific type images?

or SB Advance of the Reich?

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

GJK

The side view of the AFV's in a tactical game of this scale reminds me of when Excaliber took over "Panzer" from Yaquinto and changed the artwork from top-down view to a side-view.  Nobody liked it and the game flopped.  Panzer today once GMT took it over?

But like Richie says, the modders will come out and make their own variations on things once released.  If it's possible, I bet you'll see a top-down view of the AFV's (whether or not it or a turret actually "rotates").
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Gerry

Some screenshots at
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/29/the-flare-path-trainz-and-tigerz/

Looks ASLish. I would be happy with this as I think ASL is great but rules are too complicated. Maybe he will add PBEM down the road. Hoping it makes first of all. And as Richie says that the AI is good.

What is the projected date?

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on May 26, 2015, 10:33:29 PM
The side view of the AFV's in a tactical game of this scale reminds me of when Excaliber took over "Panzer" from Yaquinto and changed the artwork from top-down view to a side-view.

They did the same thing to the aircraft counters in their reprint of Wings, too.   :-\

Rayfer

I actually preferred the top-down rather than side view AFV counters in the Advanced Squad Leader board game.

Boggit

Quote from: Pinetree on May 16, 2015, 10:01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is computer ASL but with all ASL references ripped out. The dev was working on the game a few years back.  The turn sequence alone is exactly like ASL.:

QuoteORIGINAL:  Peter Fisla

Steel Panthers was one of the games that I inspired me from the game design perspective (among others). What I mean by that, when you get the game you have access to the whole war (41 - 45) as well as great map and OOB editor - sand box type of environment (primary focus is on Eastern Front and Western Front 43 - 45; if game sells well I will add Blitzkrieg and other theater of operations). The sequence of play is more complex than in SP. You have Admin segment (in my game segment = phase), Fire segment, Movement segment, Defensive Fire segment, Advancing Fire segment, Rout Segment, Advance Segment and Close Combat Segment. So the turn is very interactive, example in Movement segment if you move a unit by one hex, or your vehicle changes facing both of these actions can trigger enemy defensive fire and because of this PBEM style of play would be very difficult.

I worked on the game since 2006 (I have done all the game development myself), about 6+ years of development + testing on top before I even decided to publish the game through matrix games. At this point the game in testing stage, the development is basically done. I'm passionate wargamer and this is a labor of love project by a wargamer for wargamers :)

and here's the old thread where he mentioned he was working on it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944
I thought ASL as soon as I saw it. You could be right here.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat