Star Hammer The Vanguard Prophecy

Started by Zulu1966, June 04, 2015, 06:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

...*sigh* added to my Steam Wishlist.  Think I'm up to 20 games on the list. ::)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

RedArgo

So SDR, would you recommend waiting on this for now?

Gusington

I wonder if it will be discounted during the Steam sale...

...better to have it on your wishlist than bought and unplayed...that's what I tell myself.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: RedArgo on June 04, 2015, 09:04:08 PM
So SDR, would you recommend waiting on this for now?

The actual gameplay seems to work.  I haven't put enough time in to really get a feel for it but it seems OK so far.  It's a little reminiscent of NEXUS: The Jupiter Incident and Flotilla but it plays out a little faster and doesn't have quite the level of tactical options of the latter.  I haven't found any bugs yet.  The only issues I have at the point are with the interface and the lack of polish.   

If you're interested in the subject and you like WEGO stuff, I think it's OK for $18 as long as you aren't bothered by having to use the WASD system.

sandman2575

I like the look of the 'Terran' ships, but the alien Space Squid ships are a big turn off if you ask me (... I know, no one did...)

Thomasew

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 04, 2015, 09:58:05 PM
I like the look of the 'Terran' ships, but the alien Space Squid ships are a big turn off if you ask me (... I know, no one did...)

I would have to agree .. :) .. I bought the game, ... and I am kinda enjoying it ..  :)

.. but, .. I would enjoy it even more if the opposing faction(s) were more humanoid, .. and their ships didn't look like bugs ..  :D

I don't get the fascination with bugs in space, .. don't make sense to me ..  :idiot2:

I hope, .. if they develop the game further, .. they give us more "reasonable" opponents ..  :)

I'm off out shortly, .. to get some bug spray.  :knuppel2:

I noted that SDR mentioned in his post, .. that he hadn't found any bugs yet ..  ??? .. he must be playing a different game ..  ;D

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Tpek

Quote from: steve58 on June 04, 2015, 08:04:48 PM
...*sigh* added to my Steam Wishlist.  Think I'm up to 20 games on the list. ::)

LOL. Can't remember when was the last time my wishlist was that small.
I'm closing to 300 (though TBH I mostly use the wishlist to keep track of games I don't have).

Jarhead0331

Yeah. I'm sort of on the fence about this one. Can't really tell if it's worth recommending or not. Overall,the game lacks polish...but the actual combat has some notable mechanics,. Additionally, there are some neat crew concepts. for instance, you get to assign crew members to the bridge of your ships. Each crew member has background stats and personality. These stats and traits provide either bonuses or negative points to the ships overall strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, the personality traits of crew members is important because certain traits either work well or clash with others. Therefore, if two crew members have traits that are compatible, the ship will receive further bonuses to its stats, but if the traits clash, it could impact the ship in a negative way, ie. It moves slower, turns slower, fires slower, etc.

I'm working my way through the campaign, and even though the written dialogue and crew images are a bit corny, I'm motivated to keep playing. The first few missions have you fighting other Terran ships. No bugs yet. I think there is a skirmish mode, so you should be able to set up human on human battles...I'll try to confirm this shortly.

Questions, comments?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

fabius

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 04, 2015, 09:58:05 PM

One vid I saw looked like living alien 'ships' in space, which was a huge turn off. Reckoned I would have bought by now if it had decent enemy that I could relate to, oh and no MP, and turn based we-go seems ripe for nice MP.

RyanE

How is the 3D combat.  It looked to me to be 2D with different levels...not true 3D.

Skwerl

I played about 2 hours yesterday.  It's a lot of fun - certainly worth $18.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: RyanE on June 05, 2015, 06:43:37 AM
How is the 3D combat.  It looked to me to be 2D with different levels...not true 3D.

That's basically correct.  You can ascend or descend to one of five levels but your ship still acts like it's on a 2D plane in that its heading and attitude will always be limited to the XY axes on the Z-axis level it currently inhabits.  The ships have shielding on top, bottom, front, rear, and sides but there's no option to rotate your ship along the X, Y, or Z axis in order to present a strong shield towards a threat to guard a weak shield against a threat.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 05, 2015, 07:24:56 AM
The ships have shielding on top, bottom, front, rear, and sides but there's no option to rotate your ship along the X, Y, or Z axis in order to present a strong shield towards a threat to guard a weak shield against a threat.

True, but you can shift power output from one shield quadrant to another if it is low or failing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

spelk

Space Game Junkie plays Star Hammer

-budd-

Looks interesting but how redundant is the gameplay, will it have lasting appeal? Missions all the same type or just a couple of different types. Enemies varied? are turns fixed in time length or will the turn keep running until paused, is there a setting for different turn length time settings if there fixed?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.