Need some serious help from the experts....WW2 pc gaming

Started by acctingman, September 29, 2015, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I really enjoyed HighWay to the Rieche, from matrixgames, but I think its been absorbed into command ops , HTTR was better looking I think it was Market Garden .

jomni

First two recommendations cover everything under the WW2 sun.

1)  Norm Korger's The Operational Art of War 3 (covers everything until modern era in one package)
2)  John Tiller's Campaign Series (covers everything WW2 in one package)
3)  John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns (separate games, does not cover Pacific)
4)  Gary Grigsby's War in the East (monster game)
5)  Gary Grigsby's War in the West (monster game)
6)  Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific (mother of all monster games)
7)  Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris (this game is a gem and covers a seldom gamed time period)
8 )  Decisive Campaigns Case Blue
9)  Panzer Command Ostfront (East Front turn-based tacitcal like old school Combat Mission and not the modern Combat Mission)
10)  John Tiller's Squad Battles (covers a lot of theatres, separate games, same scale as Squad Leader)

sandman2575

Quote from: jomni on September 30, 2015, 08:13:56 AM
7)  Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris (this game is a gem and covers a seldom gamed time period)

Very much agree -- the Decisive Campaigns games are excellent. I'd start with Warsaw to Paris however; Case Blue is pretty gargantuan.

I have a soft spot for Panzer Command Kharkov / Ostfront -- spent many enjoyable hours on this one. But I never went back to it after getting sucked into the Combat Mission x2 universe. Panzer Command just feels too primitive by comparison, especially regarding its handling of infantry combat. Still, a very solid game -- Ostfront comes with a *lot* of content in scenarios and campaigns --

Dammit Carl!

Unity of Command and its expansions can be had for wonderfully cheap on Steam from time to time, so while it doesn't scratch your all around WW2 itch, it does do the Eastern Front in an easy to digest sort of format (i.e. its not as complex as War in the East by a long, long shot); something to keep in mind, I'd say.

Otherwise, I'm a Tiller fanboy, so I say go for the Campaign Series.

Cyrano

Ooooooh stuff I love to discuss...

I'll keep it simple:

I.  Tactical Level
     A:  Simple:  Heroes of Normandie (cutesy but an hoot)...
     B:  Medium:  Tiller's Squad Battles
     C:  Hard:  CMx2

2.  That thing between Tactical and Operational:  Tiller's Campaign Series -- nothing comes even close for value-for-the-dollar.  I am shame-faced to admit that I am not yet sold on Tiller's Panzer Battles, although the West Front is calling me...

3:  Operational:  Decisive Campaigns or PzC.  I can't and won't choose.  If you like WWII gaming at this level, there's no reason not to have them both.

So much great gaming...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

acctingman

Quote from: Cyrano on September 30, 2015, 11:15:31 AM

I'll keep it simple:

I.  Tactical Level

2.  That thing between Tactical and Operational:  Tiller's Campaign Series -- nothing comes even close for value-for-the-dollar.  I am shame-faced to admit that I am not yet sold on Tiller's Panzer Battles, although the West Front is calling me...

3:  Operational:  Decisive Campaigns or PzC.  I can't and won't choose.  If you like WWII gaming at this level, there's no reason not to have them both.

So much great gaming...

Does the Tiller series have an editor where you can create your own what if scenarios?
Does the game keep track of losses after each battle?....maybe a screen showing the losses from each side?

Thanks

Bison

I was thinking you all missed the editor part.

Tiller does have an editor feature, but I'm not sure how easy it is to use.  There are a couple of folks here who have worked with it and could give a better answer.  Tiller does have a campaign mode but it's really a linking of individual battles and not a carry over of forces from one engagement to another.  So losses don't matter from battle to battle since the OOB is fresh for each new battle in the campaign.  But there is a screen that shows loses at the end of each battle.

acctingman

I've watched a few videos of the Tiller Campaign (and a couple reviews). I think it's a bid too tedious for my tastes. I find myself wanting more eye candy than the super complex games offer (not a fan of "counters"), so, with that being said I think I'm going to stick to CC The Longest Day (played a demo and enjoyed it), The Darkest Hour and Men of War 2 AS2. Although the editor in MoW:AS2 is kinda of buggy it gives the look and feel I'm desiring. CC:TLD has a nice skirmish feel and there are quite a few mods for it. The Darkest Hour will scratch that grand strategic itch.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I didn't realize there are so many good WW2 games out there.

Cyrano

@Bison:  All but PC on my list have an editor of some type...some stronger than others...

To the OT:  If you're going to CC, make sure you look at Gateway to Caen which, by my own lights, is the best of the series, is often available quite reasonably through various outlets, and does have a lot of what you're looking for.  Not my own cup of tea, but this is always, ultimately, about personal tastes.

I am glad we have so many to choose from.

Best,

Jim

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

I know but I think the ease of use is a major factor when it comes to editors.  Frankly if you don't REALLY love the engine you are going to use the editor especially if it's is not user friendly.  I've never really been under the impression that Tiller games are "easy" to edit in terms of creating your own scenarios.

I know CMX2 has an editor to create your own battles, which is easy to use but whether the battles are balanced or the AI can use the assets is another question.

And I have no idea about that other new fangeled game you mentioned...

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!  :)

Cyrano

jomni

Quote from: acctingman on September 30, 2015, 01:02:42 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on September 30, 2015, 11:15:31 AM

I'll keep it simple:

I.  Tactical Level

So much great gaming...

Does the Tiller series have an editor where you can create your own what if scenarios?
Does the game keep track of losses after each battle?....maybe a screen showing the losses from each side?

Thanks

1st Q: Yes

2nd Q: Tiller's Campaign Series, yes.
Tiller's Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns, No.