Main Menu

ACW Naval game

Started by Zulu1966, November 05, 2015, 12:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

http://store.steampowered.com/app/414260/

This is new I think. Strategic layer added to an older game ?

Might be worth a look

I kind of liked their earlier games but the one off engagements detracted from it a little.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

IronX

It does look familiar. It also looks and very beer-and-pretzel-ish, having just speed and direction input. Perhaps the strategic layer adds more to it?

Rayfer

I like the look of the two trailer videos....appears battles can be automated or fought out like the Total War series.  Nice find.

Jarhead0331

I think it has been around for awhile. Its just new to steam.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

WallysWorld

This doesn't look too bad. I tried the demo of the original and didn't really the battles without any strategic decisions as Zulu1966 mentioned so I didn't buy the game.

But the trailers do show the game having some real promise.

http://www.totemgames.ru/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 05, 2015, 12:18:38 PM
I think it has been around for awhile. Its just new to steam.

The tactical game has JH - but they have added a strategic layer which adds context to the battles and it adds quite a bit from what I have read.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Zulu1966

Though (yes I know its RPS) this may give more of a buy decision ... date says august so think JH is right - I just hadn't seen the new one before.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/07/the-flare-path-now-even-harrier/
(Bottom of the page)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 05, 2015, 01:04:59 PM
Though (yes I know its RPS) this may give more of a buy decision ... date says august so think JH is right - I just hadn't seen the new one before.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/07/the-flare-path-now-even-harrier/
(Bottom of the page)

Yes. It has definitely been available on the developers website since at least August.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

IIRC, the game engine was used in some other 19 century naval wargames, including European and possibly South American.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

I have their other games, and this looks like they've only really added a strategic layer. I don't know if it matters that much as apart from the Monitor vs CSS Virginia bash historically there wasn't much in the way of ironclad actions apart from fort bombardments. The first real ironclad action was at Lissa in 1866, and even then gunfire was pretty irrelevant, the decisive action coming from ramming!
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: Boggit on November 08, 2015, 03:32:20 AM
I have their other games, and this looks like they've only really added a strategic layer. I don't know if it matters that much as apart from the Monitor vs CSS Virginia bash historically there wasn't much in the way of ironclad actions apart from fort bombardments. The first real ironclad action was at Lissa in 1866, and even then gunfire was pretty irrelevant, the decisive action coming from ramming!

I recall their earlier games also providing the appropriately long drawn-out ironclad battles where almost no damage was being done to the other side, eventually ending in a stalemate.  Of course, wooden ships would go down but the ironclad-vs-ironclad bit would be long and ineffective.

Didn't make me much of a fan.  Especially since the only commands you give are for steering and throttle.  Having a proper dynamic campaign layer should be a nice improvement, but it sounds like the battles are the same long drawn-out steering affairs of it's predecessors.

besilarius

In regards to damage, remember that Weehawken took out the Atlanta with just four shots.
Monitor and Merrimac/Virginia could have been totally decisive.  Fears of the effect of two cannon firing inside the turret, resulted in only being allowed to use half charges of powder for Monitor.  If you read the damage done with only half the recommended propellant, it is pretty certain that Virginia would have been wrecked with regular charge.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.