Main Menu

Battle Academy

Started by acctingman, January 24, 2016, 09:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Looking at this series. Does anyone know how much the game covers of all the theaters of WW2?

With all the expansions I can see it covers quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be any Pacific theater fighting. Are there mods for this game that includes Japanese forces? What about early war North Africa fighting?

Thanks

jomni

No pacific. Someone attempted to mod it. There is actually one or two Pacific scenarios downloadable in the repository. 

acctingman

Repository?.....which site?

So, does BA (with mods) cover most of the ww2 theaters? 1939-45?

Anyone know if I'm better off getting BA1 or BA2? Seems like BA1 covers more?

Thank you

jomni

Repository is maintained by Slitherine servers. In the game, there is a button to access this and download the community scenarios.

BA1 is Western Front has more coverage plus a lot of add on and user content.  I would say it covered 39-45 but I'm not sure really.
BA2 is Eastern Front less coverage but has game engine enhancements.

Bison

Battle Academy is good fun and covers Western Front and Africa.  Battle Academy 2 covers the Eastern Front.  You can download user created content from inside the game.

And Jomni beat me to it.

acctingman

I see....then both games would cover most of ww2 minus Pacific Theater.

So...any suggestion for a similar type game covering the Pacific theater?

Thanks guys

gameleaper

have you tried http://shrapnelgames.com/ it has spww2 a graphically updated and hires version of steel panthers, you mentioned spwaw in another thread

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

acctingman

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 24, 2016, 11:12:36 PM
is Order of Battle: Pacific more up your alley?

Appreciate the suggestion but those "panzer general" games are just too simplistic, fun, but don't offer much realism(imo)

bayonetbrant

BA has its own "realism" issues, too :)

No prob.  We each have our own preferences.  I'm not a digital wargamer much, so I'd be more useful for tabletop suggestions anyway :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

I suppose WinPAE from matrix needs at least to be mentioned, but as your already familiar with matrix you probably know how good this is, its not squad but the shipping and air battles are great fun

gameleaper

I bought Ba1 and Ba2 I intent to get Pike & shot and the new japan game when its released , they realy are great games, what niggles me is when a tank gets destroyed it blocks the path of other units and a road with only one way through it terrible, but P&S has open ground so I'm hopeing to get it soon. don't let me put you off there great games

acctingman

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 24, 2016, 11:19:47 PM

No prob.  We each have our own preferences.  I'm not a digital wargamer much, so I'd be more useful for tabletop suggestions anyway :D

I'm looking at buying the Conflict of Heroes board games. Played a couple games this weekend and I LOVED it.

acctingman

I guess with the Panzer General like games I have a hard time with the 10X units. I'm more looking for squad/platoon level games, but I think I'm going to have to buy multiple titles/games to get every theater of WW2.

I could get SPWaW enhanced, but I don't like the top down view and the graphics are so dated.

gameleaper

Quote from: acctingman on January 25, 2016, 12:03:39 AM

I guess with the Panzer General like games I have a hard time with the 10X units. I'm more looking for squad/platoon level games, but I think I'm going to have to buy multiple titles/games to get every theater of WW2.

I could get SPWaW enhanced, but I don't like the top down view and the graphics are so dated.

SPWW2 is not the same as SPWaW, its got much more detail graphically and some very hires , but they are similar, and topdownm, there is a mod for SPWaw to enhance the graphics but its not nearly like SPWW2