Close Combat series

Started by acctingman, February 05, 2016, 11:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

I recently bought the BA1/Megapack games and while they are enjoyable, I can tell they won't keep my interests for more than a month or two.

I was thinking of something a little more meatier and the Close Combat series popped into mind.

I'm not a fan of large scale operational titles and prefer the small squad/platoon games.

Can anyone recommend what titles are the better ones? Maybe one with more replay-ability? (something with a larger ToE to play random battles in?)

I think after this I'm going to sink my teeth into the CM x2 titles

Gracias!

Jarhead0331

Don't waste your time. CC was awesome...in the 1990s. The newer releases in the series have fallen pretty flat in my opinion and only serve to show the age of the system.

Go straight to CM.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 05, 2016, 12:23:43 PM
Don't waste your time. CC was awesome...in the 1990s. The newer releases in the series have fallen pretty flat in my opinion and only serve to show the age of the system.

Go straight to CM.

Seconded. Ten fold.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

TacticalWargames

I also agree. If you do want something along CC lines then I'd go Graviteam Tactics, this for me kncked CC of it's perch in my fav lists. CMx2 and Graviteam are the best out there..so why settle for anything less.

Skoop

There are difficulty settings in cmx2 if you're worried about learning curve.  You could play on the easiest setting with almost no fow, then ratchet it up as you progress through.

Just seems like your headed on the path to cm, so rather than get 2 more games then "graduate" to cm, might as well get it now and soften it with settings for a while.

I would get cm over graviteam, the tactical engine is way better.  I wish you could bolt graviteams  campaigns onto cm, that's about the only thing I like about graviteam.  I think the graviteam game is better in the sim form as blaze of war.  Never understood why they have 2 renditions of the same engine, seems like they should consolidate the two and have one unique sim rts hybrid spanning multiple eras. 

JasonPratt

Tend to agree; you might as well go to CM. Or wait a little while for GoG to release the other CMx1 games (they've already put up Beyond Normandy), and use those with fan-made missions and campaigns to squad-play the whole European war (since practically everything West Front can be played with the Afrika Korps game, and naturally all the East and some other places can be played with Barbarossa to Berlin.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

The two later CMx1 engines even have a fan-made dynamic campaign generator and tracker (based on Excel spreadsheet code), made by RobO, which can lead you through a theater action -- the longest two being a German platoon in Russia, and a British platoon in North Africa (either of which can be followed, and grown, out to the end of the war.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: Skoop on February 05, 2016, 03:04:31 PM
I would get cm over graviteam, the tactical engine is way better.  I wish you could bolt graviteams campaigns onto cm...
+1 Bro! That would be awesome. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Elvis

Jason, you do make me long for the old campaign system. I keep forgetting about that. So, my ultimate wish list, which has been limited to WeGo TCP with reply, now includes that old style campaigns. I have a better chance of seeing the former than the latter.

Hofstadter

Even though I am a fan of Graviteam and have never played CM, I would still recommend the latter over the former. Graviteam has some issues with tutorials, UI, plus the orders don't really differentiate themselves. Basically all you do is point them one day and say "move here" and they will attack.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Skoop

Quote from: Hofstadter on February 05, 2016, 09:06:16 PM
Even though I am a fan of Graviteam and have never played CM, I would still recommend the latter over the former. Graviteam has some issues with tutorials, UI, plus the orders don't really differentiate themselves. Basically all you do is point them one day and say "move here" and they will attack.

^ exactly.

Apocalypse 31

I also concur with the comments on Close Combat; everything after CC V: Invasion Normandy has been a cash grab with very little development on the series.

Neither CM nor GravTac has grabbed me, but I've dumped aconsiderable amount of time into BA2.

The campaigns are great, and the later German campaign is a tough challenge. Additionally, BA2 added skirmish mode with customizable parameters, as well as Cooperative Multiplayer.

The Kursk add-on was exceptional, and the missions are a perfect mix of fun and challenging.

jomni