Main Menu

Men of War 2

Started by acctingman, April 12, 2016, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on April 13, 2016, 04:06:07 AM
My main issue with the MoW franchise is how unrealistically the ranges are calculated.  I go and look at it now and then, but always come to the conclusion that limiting all ranges to about 10% of their real ranges is just too unrealistic.  I wouldn't mind so much if they just limited the map size, but they actually scale all ranges down so that tanks are limited to 100-200 yards.

We've discussed this before and I understand your criticism, but given that most of the maps are urban environments, or cluttered farms and woodlands, the criticism is not really relevant. The maps are small and most engagements take place at very close range. I can't think of any maps really where two tanks are sitting across wide open space within plain line of sight and they are unable to engage because of this alleged range limitation issue. It's just not something that is really noticeable to me, and if I felt it was really unrealistic, it would bother me. Just my .02.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

But my understanding is that infantry weapons are also scaled down significantly.  Is that correct?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on April 13, 2016, 04:21:35 AM
But my understanding is that infantry weapons are also scaled down significantly.  Is that correct?

Not appreciably. It's the same effect. The maps are designed so that most firefights take place within relatively short range, and at least to me, there is no obvious sensation that range has been articificially reduced. Engagements begin pretty much when and where I would expect them to. Assuming this is a real issue, they've done a tremendous job of masking it, or at least, minimizing its impact. It doesn't bother me...at all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

TacticalWargames

true..but it does it so well. Personally I'd rather have a smaller scope as far as enviroments etc go but with superb tactical gameplay and great on the realism front over a tactical wargame that has lots of enviroments and Nations but not as good when it comes to realism.

Plus Graviteam also has the grand tactical layer aswell which MOW2 doesn't have..or you can just play a quickly made user battle. The action in Graviteam is superb and just feels right.

Saying that I'd love to be able to play MOW and MOW 2 but just find to much micro management. I honestly don't know how to play them. It all ends up feeling out of my control and a click fest.

Quote from: acctingman on April 12, 2016, 09:01:07 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on April 12, 2016, 08:47:21 PM
Graviteam Tactics Muis front...easy decision.

Thanks for the suggestion but this game only covers a small time frame of Eastern war between Germany and Russia.