Finding the right game

Started by acctingman, April 20, 2016, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Greetings

My apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. And I also apologize becasue this is going to be a lot of rambling, but none of my friends are gamers.

I'm new to this site, but I lurk a lot!  O0

You folks are entertaining, informative and have helped me out a lot. Ok, enough gushing over you and this forum.  :smitten:

I've been gaming since 94'-95', however, most of it has been MMO's. UO, EQ, WOW, etc....etc... I've done very little gaming, comparatively speaking to MMO's/RPG's, in the world war 2 genre, and it's kind of funny, since I LOVE the era. I consider myself a "nerd" when it comes to equipment, tactics, battles fought, etc....but I never really got into WW2 PC or board gaming.

PC games I've tried....

1)The Battle Academy series. Fun little game, but I found myself bored after a few hours. It's seems cartoon'ish and simplistic. I just can't seem to play it anymore.
2)Panzer Corps/General. Even more simple than Battle Academy, however, it's a nice game for a time killer (however, I find myself rather doing yard work than playing a simple time killer PC game...and I HATE yard work).
3)Steel Pathers.....just cannot get past the top down Atari 2600 graphics. Tried playing it again recently and I uninstalled it several minutes later  :-\
4)John Tiller Campaign Series....I bought this several years ago and honestly, I felt it a chore. This is on me.....I'm not a patient gamer. I want to blame this on my MMO's...clicky...clicky...button mash..clicky....clicky..for years.
5)Combat Mission: Fortress Italy DEMO....I want to like this game, I REALLY do, but after trying it out for a couple hours, I got frustrated and uninstalled it. Did I mention how much I want to love this game? It's absolutely gorgeous. I like pretty graphics....thanks highly detailed MMO graphics....thanks for ruining it for me!  :tickedoff:

There have been a few others, but nothing worth mentioning, really.

I've tried my hand at some board games, mainly Conflict of Heroes. I like it, but truthfully, I can't get into board games. Not sure why. Maybe I haven't given it much of a chance. Not sure I'm a fan of cardboard counters. It's the visuals, again I'm afraid. I like miniatures, but the time to paint them isn't appealing and I have no one to game with. There are some gaming groups where I live, but no one plays rules I like. And, I'm not a social creature. I prefer solitude to crowds.

I just had a 5 day weekend and maybe it's the weather here (Seattle.....85 degrees!!!) but I found myself washing the car, reading some RA Salvatore (read a book and a half in 4 days...I've NEVER done that before  :uglystupid2:), walked the dog...a lot, etc....

I tried about 10 to 12 games I have on my PC/Steam account. Some, I fired up for the first time. I don't think I played anything for more than 15 minutes and I found myself uninspired.

I'm wondering if gaming isn't for me? I want to love it, but I just can't find anything out there that is inspiring any passion in me. Maybe I'm trying too hard?

Part of my problem is two fold. I like pretty graphics (not a strong argument for liking a good war game....I hate counter style art) and my patience is minimal....a buzz kill for getting into any game with a semblance of a learning curve (Combat Mission games).

Thinking I should just walk away. I'm not sure I'll ever find what I'm looking for in war gaming, or any form of gaming for that matter.

I know I should like war gaming, but nothing really inspires me. Honestly, this kind of bums me out  :'(

Looking at Hearts of Iron 4, but with my ADD-like lack of patience and somewhat disturbing need for pretty graphics, I think I'm screwed.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm wondering if someone here has/is going through the same experience and what it turned out for them. I can't go back to my roots. I have lost all passion I had for MMO gaming and sitting in a chair for hours on end is not only hurting my back, but I just can't do it anymore.

My poor fiancee' had to listen to me and her simple response was "go outside more"  :2funny: O0  I think she might have nailed it on the head!

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Love this forum and thank you all for your wisdom.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

Yup, saw those games a while ago. Thought about picking them up. Wish they had the ability to mod those two games.

Might pick those up when/if they ever go one sale.

spelk

What about Ultimate General Gettysburg?

It has groovey graphics, is all smooth flowing and easy to get into and play.

Vietnam '65?

Its a very visual boardgame style game, where you're not really smashing troop counters together, more like orchestrating some bigger zone control and supply missions..

Hegemony: the Rise of Caesar?

It is a smooth looking, faster paced game - with good visuals and combat..

R.U.S.E.?

Tis old, but a good one. A bit of a looker, good for timed orchestration.. zoom in and out.. forerunner of the Wargame series (which may also be worth a look-see)

Unity of Command?

It's a hex and chit game, but really, its a very polished turn based game - but with some excellent supply and breakthrough mechanics..

Anyway, just some ideas...

acctingman

Thanks Spelk

Unity of Command looks interesting. RUSE does too. The others aren't WW2, but again, thanks!

glen55

How about World in Conflict?  That's a very nice-looking game, doesn't require a lot of studying the manual.

Company of Heroes or COH 2?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Its been recommended to you in the past.

Men of War Assault Squad 1 or 2. Just shut up and try it, dude.

Its beautiful. Its fast paced and heavy on action and carnage. Its clicky, but not too clicky so it will appeal to your MMORPG senses. It incorporates realistic concepts, but nothing too realistic. It has Common Wealth, German, American, Russian and Japanese OOBs, diverse maps and impressive TO&Es. Mods. Its got lots of mods. Its dirt f*%king cheap.

What are you waiting for?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2016, 01:24:56 PM

Its beautiful. Its fast paced and heavy on action and carnage. Its clicky, but not too clicky so it will appeal to your MMORPG senses. It incorporates realistic concepts, but nothing too realistic. It has Common Wealth, German, American, Russian and Japanese OOBs, diverse maps and impressive TO&Es. Mods. Its got lots of mods. Its dirt f*%king cheap.

Ok, ok....I will!  :-[

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2016, 01:24:56 PM

Ok, ok....I will!  :-[

Don't do buy it yet. I may have a spare copy in my steam account. I'll gift it to you if its there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

spelk

Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 01:14:04 PM
The others aren't WW2, but again, thanks!

After a while at it, you'll realise that wargaming encompasses all wars, and the ones that really stand out tend to be the ones that aren't following the tired formula of presenting WWII again.. nothing wrong with WWII games, I love 'em, but you should try the musket era, or something ancient, or japanese, or a good civil war or two, or perhaps a really obscure colonial defense in the heart of Zulu country. ;)

Some of the more involved WWII games are coming to the forefront graphically speaking these days, but they do often require quite a bit of patience and tenacity to learn their intricacies. Graviteam Mius Front, for example. But there are a bucket of older titles, that could well fit the bill Panzer Command: Ost Front, or Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941, Close Combat.. The Few, Men of War stuff...

I suppose if you want easy on the eye, and ease of play Company of Heroes, Victory at Sea, Atlantic Fleet, Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies.. War Thunder, World of Tanks, Battlestations Pacific.. etc... (not all strictly wargames, but maybe games about war).

acctingman

Spelk

Thank you. Some serious food for thought.

JarHead, thank you (very kind of you) but I already got it. Used a Steam gift card I had for Xmas  :)

acctingman

Expanding on what Spelk  said, I have been curious about the strategy genre. A game like Civ 5 or similar has peak my interest, but again, I struggle with the patience thing  :uglystupid2:

Something like a Civ 5 game set in the Tolkien realm would I for sure would try!

Maybe I have exhausted my WW2 gaming needs and have to branch out. Who wuddya thunk it!  :crazy2:

acctingman

Quoted myself for extra special effects!  :uglystupid2:

Sorry

steve58

Quote from: acctingman on April 20, 2016, 02:34:53 PM
Expanding on what Spelk  said, I have been curious about the strategy genre. A game like Civ 5 or similar has peak my interest, but again, I struggle with the patience thing  :uglystupid2:

Something like a Civ 5 game set in the Tolkien realm would I for sure would try!

Maybe I have exhausted my WW2 gaming needs and have to branch out. Who wuddya thunk it!  :crazy2:

There is a CivV mod for everything, including LOTR  ;)

Here's a couple links and I'm sure there must be more just a Google away

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257882191

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_of_the_Rings_(Civ5)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)