Hearts of Iron 4....part deux...or "Duh!!" in my case

Started by acctingman, October 24, 2016, 11:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

To any HoI4 people out there who have played the game with mods....specifically the Black Ice mod.

Does it change the game at all? Did it make it more playable? Did it make you want to rage quit less? (I rage quit the game after 30 hours...more out of not knowing what I was doing, really  :tickedoff:)

bobarossa

If it's anything like the Black Ice mod for HOI3, it would make your head explode.  And by that I mean that it added a tremendous amount of depth to HOI3 so I expect they are taking the same approach to HOI4.

sandman2575

Echoing Bobarossa's assessment -- BlackIce is definitely not for the fainthearted Hearts of Iron player (...see what I did there?  ;) )  There's plenty to get to grips with in vanilla HOI4, and plenty to enjoy. I think of BlackIce as "the next step up" for players who have mastered (and are bored by) vanilla. You may get there eventually, but by no means *start* with BlackIce!

I'm of two minds about BlackIce -- on the one hand, I very much appreciated the amount of historical detail the modders added to HOI3 -- it was certainly a much deeper and challenging experience than vanilla HOI3 -- AI was considerably better. On the other hand, I think the BlackIce designers tend to overload the mod -- more isn't always better. I wish they would dial back the ambition somewhat -- the 'everything plus the kitchen sink' philosophy isn't always a strength.

OJsDad

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 24, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
I wish they would dial back the ambition somewhat -- the 'everything plus the kitchen sink' philosophy isn't always a strength.

This is especially true when the games interface wasn't designed to handle the kitchen sink. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

sandman2575

Yeah I agree. Just look at what BI does to HOI4's tech-trees. At some point it does threaten to become unmanageable information overload.

acctingman

Thank you guys.

Guess HoI4 stays deleted in my Steam Library. I do take some comfort that I did try and get 30 hours of play out of it, well....and a 150/90 BP  :tickedoff:

Swatter

acctingman

Quote from: Swatter on October 24, 2016, 04:25:13 PM
What is frustrating about the game?

It's more me than the game. Lack of patience and I found the job to be more work than fun.

I'm a gamer who needs to stick to Battle Academy type of games   :'(

Swatter

Nothing wrong with that. If your not having fun, your doing it wrong ;-)