Conflict of Heroes released on Steam

Started by -budd-, October 25, 2016, 07:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Matrix/Slitherine release Conflict of Heroes on Steam. I own the whole package, i already got my steam keys and installed, everything seems to work fine.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4171131
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Raied

JudgeDredd

I was so disappointed on release when they had the 3D sprites.

This was one of those fantastic board games that did not translate well to PC. It left two key aspects of the board game out that made the board game great - the terrain (boards) and unit chits. They did fix it later I believe where you can play in "authentic" board game mode - so kudos for getting it right.

I may well pick this up having bought the board game set from Bob.
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Hm, I thought the "chit" gfx were available from the beginning?

Anyway, yes, must activate my Steam keys now -- a series I have long invested in but haven't played!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 26, 2016, 11:18:37 AM
Hm, I thought the "chit" gfx were available from the beginning?

Anyway, yes, must activate my Steam keys now -- a series I have long invested in but haven't played!
I was in beta testing and I argued that the chits should be included from the start. iirc due to time and resources, that was not the case. The Chits were added after.
Alba gu' brath

Phantom

Does anyone have a view if COH is better/not as good or just different to Lock N Load Stalingrad?

Regards
Keith

acctingman

Is this game mod able?

I thought I read that new units can't be created but maps can....anyone confirm this?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Phantom on October 26, 2016, 01:41:51 PM
Does anyone have a view if COH is better/not as good or just different to Lock N Load Stalingrad?

Regards
Keith
I had Conflict of Heroes board game and loved it. I also had LnL Band of Heroes (not Heroes of Stalingrad - but the same system effectively) and liked it.

I got Conflict of Heroes for the PC and liked it - not loved it. I also got LnL Heroes of Stalingrad and loved it - not liked it.

For me, CoH just didn't transfer well to 3D sprites and maps. I have to say when the board game maps and chits appeared, I liked it much more - but again, I never loved it. I just didn't think it transferred well to the PC. I think that's because the mechanics were simple enough on the board game and so all the additional things you do for the board game are what made the board game the excellent experience it was. Taking those away for the PC to handle and what was left - just clicking really.

LnL Heroes of Stalingrad for me was different because I was quite happy for the computer to take over the rules. I found them pretty complicated and that was mainly because, imo, the rule set was confusing, ambiguous in many places and regular checking and cross checking of the rules was required...there was no decent flow to the rules.

Taking that headache away for Heroes of Stalingrad then made the game enjoyable.

So in my humble opinion, LnL Heroes of Stalingrad was better than Company of Heroes as a computer game.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: acctingman on October 26, 2016, 01:44:07 PM
Is this game mod able?

I thought I read that new units can't be created but maps can....anyone confirm this?
Sorry - I can't recall reading whether it was moddable or not. I generally don't bother modding games so would never have looked into this.
Alba gu' brath

Phantom

So in my humble opinion, LnL Heroes of Stalingrad was better than Company of Heroes as a computer game.

Thanks Judge - that's sort of the way I was leaning, so good to have a second opinion.

Regards
Keith

MC

Is LnL Heroes of Stalingrad still supported by Matrix? I thought there would be no more updates.

Richie61

Quote from: MC on October 27, 2016, 01:17:26 PM
Is LnL Heroes of Stalingrad still supported by Matrix? I thought there would be no more updates.

Died along time ago. LnL is developing a new title based on the Band of Heroes game with added DLC. I haven't looked into the new game since I wasn't a HoS fan in the least bit.
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 26, 2016, 02:41:03 PM
I had Conflict of Heroes board game and loved it. I also had LnL Band of Heroes (not Heroes of Stalingrad - but the same system effectively) and liked it.

I got Conflict of Heroes for the PC and liked it - not loved it. I also got LnL Heroes of Stalingrad and loved it - not liked it.

For me, CoH just didn't transfer well to 3D sprites and maps. I have to say when the board game maps and chits appeared, I liked it much more - but again, I never loved it. I just didn't think it transferred well to the PC. I think that's because the mechanics were simple enough on the board game and so all the additional things you do for the board game are what made the board game the excellent experience it was. Taking those away for the PC to handle and what was left - just clicking really.

LnL Heroes of Stalingrad for me was different because I was quite happy for the computer to take over the rules. I found them pretty complicated and that was mainly because, imo, the rule set was confusing, ambiguous in many places and regular checking and cross checking of the rules was required...there was no decent flow to the rules.

+1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.